Another screaming q, but bear with me

faysalitani

Oct 12, 2017
Parrots
Eclectus
Hi all,

Having read just about every other thread on this topic, I decided to post my own because I've come to see that each bird's situation is unique.

I have a 2 year old male eclectus. He is not a 'problem bird' or particularly neurotic but these past months he's developed a screaming habit. A few points:

- This isn't a contact call - I know what that sounds like and that one isn't bad. It's the high-pitched ekkie screech (ekkie owners will know how painful that is to the ears).
- He does this only when he's in the cage (or left alone on a perch for long). Once he's hanging out with me he is chilled out and happy.
- His cage is in the busiest room in the house, so he's not isolated, and it's huge.
- I myself can usually live with it by just ignoring him until he's quiet but I have a wife and a 6-month old daughter and this bird can get so loud we worry it might be bad for the baby's hearing.
- He's a lot worse when I'm not home (he's very tightly bonded to me and yes he has begun his lovely regurgitation routine), but also he's worse when there is a large crowd around and he's in the cage.
- He's in good health, eats a good diet and passes his physical exams with flying colors. He doesn't have any neurotic habits. All the doctors compliment me on how healthy he is.
- His cage is full of toys and he gets at least three or four hours outside the cage after I get home from work (my wife doesn't work but can't supervise him and the baby at the same time).
- Leaving the room whenever he screams isn't an option for a mother and baby. As for me, I can endure just ignoring him.

I don't think there's any huge mystery here (correct me if Im wrong) - I think he just wants to be with the people in the room, though I'm not sure why he is worse when I'm away. My wife is stressed and even asked me to move him to another room during the day away while Im at work but I would never isolate him like that. Does anyone have any insight or tips? Please, I dont want to put my family in distress but to me my bird is just as much a part of the family :( Im even willing to get him a companion if that means he will be happy in another room during the day though I know that doesn't always work out either.

Thank you all, as usual.

Last edited:

Ezekiell

Jan 31, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Māui (white bellied caique)
I’m no expert, but it almost sounds like he’s so bonded to you he doesn’t know how to entertain himself or be independent. Is that likely? If so, you could try introducing him to foraging toys if you haven’t already done so, so that he has something to set his mind to during the day and at times when he can’t directly interact with the family.

Most Reactions

Latest posts