Any body have reptiles?

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
I have a darwin carpet het for albino boy and a brisbane coastal carpet boy :)
Soon to be finding new homes so I can focus on having some more interesting herps... probably an eastern bearded dragon, or perhaps some monitors... and a common tree snake in green or blue in a semi aquatic tank :D

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
I have nothing against reptiles but feeding live mice or having frozen mice in the my freezer does not appeal to me. To be honest the bearded dragons seem interesting.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I have nothing against reptiles but feeding live mice or having frozen mice in the my freezer does not appeal to me. To be honest the bearded dragons seem interesting.
I bet you would like iguanas then, as adults they are pretty much vegetarians, a tame iguana who is cared for properly is a amazing pet. My mom had a female as I was growing up, not as massive as the males lol

findi

Jan 28, 2012
I bet you would like iguanas then, as adults they are pretty much vegetarians, a tame iguana who is cared for properly is a amazing pet. My mom had a female as I was growing up, not as massive as the males lol

Yes...watch those males! A co-worker of mine at the Bx Zoo, very experiences, wound up with a dozen or so stitches in his neck after a surprise attack by a long-docile male. Hormones can flare up and drive them to do this, hard to predict as not always tied to seasons. Best, Frank

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Yes...watch those males! A co-worker of mine at the Bx Zoo, very experiences, wound up with a dozen or so stitches in his neck after a surprise attack by a long-docile male. Hormones can flare up and drive them to do this, hard to predict as not always tied to seasons. Best, Frank

Wow, that must of been a bad bite! My mom's loved bananas and the first time she was fed them she lunged and bit my mom's finger too, after that we learned to hold a half peeled banana rather then bite sized pieces lol. They have insanely sharp teeth that make you bleed forever. Our iguana had been antagonized by it's last owners children so my mom got bit a lot while earning her trust. The worst bite was on my step dad's thumb, didn't need stitches but his thumb has a bunch of little scars all over it and he got a tetanus shot just in case.

I love iguanas, I'll definitely stick with females if I ever get one again though XD

Last edited:

findi

Jan 28, 2012

Wow, that must of been a bad bite! My mom's loved bananas and the first time she was fed them she lunged and bit my mom's finger too, after that we learned to hold a half peeled banana rather then bite sized pieces lol. They have insanely sharp teeth that make you bleed forever. Our iguana had been antagonized by it's last owners children so my mom got bit a lot while earning her trust. The worst bite was on my step dad's thumb, didn't need stitches but his thumb has a bunch of little scars all over it and he got a tetanus shot just in case.

I love iguanas, I'll definitely stick with females if I ever get one again though XD

Thanks for the feedback; yes, it was a large male and the cage was on an upper shelf, so it fell after latching on to his neck. Females tend to much more subdued....we had one in our collection for 18 years. Here's an article with some observations I made of wild ones in Venezuela. The animal in the side view photo was 5'11", although it's hard to get an idea of his size from that photo, Best, Frank.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I don't have pets but i relocate gopher tortoises , some of them are very old and they are so social. Very cool, wish i had one living in my yard.

jrl2512

Nov 26, 2012
Parrots
Knuckles: Sun conure with messed up foot

Sarge AKA turd burd: senegal parrot
I got 1 hypo hog island, 2 hypo red tailed boas, 1 true red tailed boa, 1 common red tailed boa, 1 green tree python, 1 ball python, 1 dumeril's boa, 1 reticulated python, and 1 red citrus bearded dragon. Each one is friendly, although the green tree is a rather iffy one. The retic has a personality, I never seen a snake get jealous when I don't take him out

findi

Jan 28, 2012
I don't have pets but i relocate gopher tortoises , some of them are very old and they are so social. Very cool, wish i had one living in my yard.

Nice that you are concerned about the tortoises, they certainly need help; but you may wish to check with your state wildlife authority, Colleagues have been involved in a few large scale relocations (construction projects, etc) and there are many things to consider, i.e. their homing instinct, etc. Please let me know if you need more info, Best, Frank

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
No thanks, i'm licensed by the state and relocate 100s in a good week, Most are utility construction sites (power line poles) and temporary.

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
i love tortoises. i watched my friends while he was on vacation. it was so cool. i cant get one though. i would have to bring it inside in winter and i dont have room for that. summer wouldnt be a problem.

iguanas get HUGE. it doesnt matter male or female. females are indeed smaller but are still large lizards and need constant handling to keep tame. even if they are the tamest on earth some days they have "off days" and are aggressive or males in mating season are generally always aggressive. their bites HURT. one at a reptile expo bit my forearm.it was a male around 6' 5'' so it was large. i got 24 stiches. he was said to be very tame too. haha. im not saing dont get one, but they need a huuuge cage, a ton of food, constant handling,a HUGE cage again. they are a lot of work and very expensive! research please! espeacialy for something like an iguana!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
i love tortoises. i watched my friends while he was on vacation. it was so cool. i cant get one though. i would have to bring it inside in winter and i dont have room for that. summer wouldnt be a problem.

iguanas get HUGE. it doesnt matter male or female. females are indeed smaller but are still large lizards and need constant handling to keep tame. even if they are the tamest on earth some days they have "off days" and are aggressive or males in mating season are generally always aggressive. their bites HURT. one at a reptile expo bit my forearm.it was a male around 6' 5'' so it was large. i got 24 stiches. he was said to be very tame too. haha. im not saing dont get one, but they need a huuuge cage, a ton of food, constant handling,a HUGE cage again. they are a lot of work and very expensive! research please! espeacialy for something like an iguana!
They do need a huge cage D: Ours had a very large kitty condo as a cage, we secured large branches with zip ties and she loved it. Only problem was she'd rub her face on the bars and got a weird bump that our exotic vet had to remove. Then my parents had to give her a shot in the face for 7 days which she hated.

Her cage was around double the size of this with UV light and a ceramic heat emitter on top.
p-79961-63334C_322-cat.jpg

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I live in fla to henpecked and whenever I see a tortise or any kind of turtle in the street I pick them up and put them on the side of the road in the direction they were heading. I love turtles and tortises. It is amazing how they survive the streets with walking from one side to the other.:)

Sc0tt

Nov 18, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
Red Throated Conure - Casper | American Budgie - Zeus (R.I.P)
I've got a Ball Python, Bearded Dragon and a Sulcata tortoise as well!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I still have my leopard gecko (Leo) my parents bought me as my "first pet" when I was 7. I will be 25 next month. I'm pretty sure he's blind now, as I have to give his crickets a good thump and stick them right under his nose for him to find them, plus he's missing most of his toes from rough molts. However, in general, he seems pretty plump and healthy. Hes never really been a very exciting/energetic pet, so i really cant tell if he's sleeping 24/7 because that's literally all he's done for the past 18 years, or if he's sleeping 24/7 because he's old and on his way out. Who knew geckos could live so dang long anyways? Don't get me wrong, he's been my faithful pet for most of my life, and i will be very sad when Leo finally goes, but as a kid, I had no idea I'd still have my pet lizard as a grown, married woman! In addition to Leo, we also have a newt (Mr. Newt) that was destined to be flushed (had him about 4 years). I also had a lovely bearded dragon, Tiffany. She was already at the end of her lifespan when I took her in, but I got almost 3 years with her, and she was just a wonderful animal all around. I'm done with pets for now though. Our 15 y/o rescue BFA (who I've had 5 years now) is like a toddler with feathers and brings more than enough animal for one house lol :green: In the future, I would love to get another beardie or maybe even a tortoise (always been interested in them). But I'm trying to be good with the feathery and scaly friends at the moment :) I want to be done having kids before I decide to take on the responsibility of another animal (especially since I seem to have the gift of longevity with them lol).

findi

Jan 28, 2012
I still have my leopard gecko (Leo) my parents bought me as my "first pet" when I was 7. I will be 25 next month. I'm pretty sure he's blind now, as I have to give his crickets a good thump and stick them right under his nose for him to find them, plus he's missing most of his toes from rough molts. However, in general, he seems pretty plump and healthy. Hes never really been a very exciting/energetic pet, so i really cant tell if he's sleeping 24/7 because that's literally all he's done for the past 18 years, or if he's sleeping 24/7 because he's old and on his way out. Who knew geckos could live so dang long anyways? Don't get me wrong, he's been my faithful pet for most of my life, and i will be very sad when Leo finally goes, but as a kid, I had no idea I'd still have my pet lizard as a grown, married woman! In addition to Leo, we also have a newt (Mr. Newt) that was destined to be flushed (had him about 4 years). I also had a lovely bearded dragon, Tiffany. She was already at the end of her lifespan when I took her in, but I got almost 3 years with her, and she was just a wonderful animal all around. I'm done with pets for now though. Our 15 y/o rescue BFA (who I've had 5 years now) is like a toddler with feathers and brings more than enough animal for one house lol :green: In the future, I would love to get another beardie or maybe even a tortoise (always been interested in them). But I'm trying to be good with the feathery and scaly friends at the moment :) I want to be done having kids before I decide to take on the responsibility of another animal (especially since I seem to have the gift of longevity with them lol).

Hi, Thanks for the feedback...that is a very impressive record; the published longevity record for a leopard gecko is 28 years, 6 months (St Louis Zoo, USA), so you're closing in on it!

Let me know if you need any info on tortoises or others, and good luck with kids and pets, Best, Frank

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
It shocks me Leo has lived as long as he has. He almost died within a year of getting him. When we got him, the people at the petstore told us to put him on sand, so we did, and within months of getting him, he ended up getting a sand impaction and couldn't eat or go potty. My parents didn't want my first pet to die on me, so they took him to the vet, the vet took an xray, and it was literally the craziest thing you've ever seen. It was the perfect outline of a gecko with this huge white thing in him, which was all the sand! The vet said he wasn't going to live, so my dad started (as terrible as it sounds) force feeding him small amounts of olive oil with a medicine syringe. Amazingly, it actually worked, and he ended up surviving. One would think not eating or going to the bathroom for several months would kill an animal, or at least significantly reduce their lifespan if they did survive. We got the reptile carpet after that, and he's been healthy since. Not on topic per say, but kind of an interesting story if you're into reptiles. I've never heard of anyone else being able to fix a sand impaction, though I hear they are relatively common in reptiles. I've also never heard of a gecko in just a normal home living so long. Leo is a pretty special little creature :)

findi

Jan 28, 2012
It shocks me Leo has lived as long as he has. He almost died within a year of getting him. When we got him, the people at the petstore told us to put him on sand, so we did, and within months of getting him, he ended up getting a sand impaction and couldn't eat or go potty. My parents didn't want my first pet to die on me, so they took him to the vet, the vet took an xray, and it was literally the craziest thing you've ever seen. It was the perfect outline of a gecko with this huge white thing in him, which was all the sand! The vet said he wasn't going to live, so my dad started (as terrible as it sounds) force feeding him small amounts of olive oil with a medicine syringe. Amazingly, it actually worked, and he ended up surviving. One would think not eating or going to the bathroom for several months would kill an animal, or at least significantly reduce their lifespan if they did survive. We got the reptile carpet after that, and he's been healthy since. Not on topic per say, but kind of an interesting story if you're into reptiles. I've never heard of anyone else being able to fix a sand impaction, though I hear they are relatively common in reptiles. I've also never heard of a gecko in just a normal home living so long. Leo is a pretty special little creature :)

Kudos to you and your dad.. Interesting that he hit upon olive oil...we had long used it at the Bronx Zoo, and still do on occasion, especially for the more delicate amphibians! Yo u and he may have a future in reptile medicine. Leopard gecko are well suited to fasts, given their habitat, but not when "forced" by blockages; I'm sure individual genetics plays a role as well. Over the years, I've come across a number of animals that survived conditions that kill off others of their species. In some case, they were of species known to be very hardy, i.e. African clawed frogs, red eared sliders...but other cases involved animals that are difficult even under the best of conditions, i.e. radiated tortoises, Chinese giant salamanders.

Keep up the good work, best, Frank

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)

To be honest I do not think I would ever get a reptile let alone an iguana.

Most Reactions