Any dangerous nuts for amazons??

KellyH

Feb 14, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Currently bird less.
My hubby's cousin used to have a BFA years ago. When he found out that we now have one he warned my hubby that there is a certain nut that is very bad/dangerous for them. He thought it might be walnuts or Brazil nuts but couldn't remember for sure. He said to google it but I didn't find anything.

Does anyone know if there is a certain type of nut that they should never have?

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
Peanuts can carry bacteria that can cause illness to your parrot. I thought I heard something about Brazil nuts but don't remember what. I like buying a 'boca mix' from places like mysafebirdstore.com that have mixed nuts and dried fruit as a treat. :) But I buy BAGS of nuts around the holidays when they come out cheap at the grocery store.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
No no nuts for any birds:
Any nuts which contain salted - Pistachios - Cashew Salted
As well as nuts that have caramel coating - Almonds Caramel - Pecan Caramel - Hazel
Please do not give your bird Choc Sunflower seeds at all........ many people use these as treats when training.......... because of the different colours

Healthy nuts are Almonds - Brazil - Cashew Plain - Pecan - Raw Peanuts - Macadamias - Walnuts - Mixed Nuts

Keep the nuts in the deep freeze, and take a few out daily.

Do not feed your bird any dried fruit mixes you can purchase.

They have all been treated with Sulphurdioxide (to keep it fresh and to last longer) It is NEVER mentioned on the packaging. Rather buy fresh fruit.

:grey:

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
To my knowledge only peanuts can be potentially dangerous due to bacteria on the shells. If I'm wrong about that though someone please correct me as I buy mixed nuts.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
To my knowledge only peanuts can be potentially dangerous due to bacteria on the shells. If I'm wrong about that though someone please correct me as I buy mixed nuts.

Mixed nuts are healthy as long as they are not salted and kept in a cool place.
Below is a very informative link pertaining : are peanuts bad for pet birds

Are Peanuts Bad For Pet Birds

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Yes, I buy an unsalted mix of almonds, walnuts, hazel nuts, pecans and brazil nuts and keep them in the fridge. If I have a lot, I freeze some.

OP
KellyH

KellyH

Feb 14, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Currently bird less.
Thanks everyone. Yes, all my nuts are unsalted and the only ones in the shell that I feed are almonds and walnuts. FeeBee really loves peanuts but I already new about the bacteria that can grow on the shells so he doesn't get them anymore (in the shell).

And nuts are only given as a treat when he goes nicely back into his cage when asked or for training. They are not a major part of his diet.

Thanks so much for all the info. :)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I've also learned that, strangely, they store longer NOT in the shells. You would think it would be the opposite.

Beako_N_Kiwi

Mar 28, 2012
California
Parrots
Our Rescues:

Beako - age 22- Yellow Crowned Amazon

Kiwi - age 9 - Yellow Naped Amazon

Paco - age 28 - Yellow Naped/Yellow Crowned
I never thought about freezing them! That is a great idea. Can I just store their treat bags (combinations of nuts, chillis ,etc) in the freezer and take a few out a day? Right now they are being stored at room temperature, and I have a feeling thats a breeding ground for mold/bacteria.

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
No no nuts for any birds:
Any nuts which contain salted - Pistachios - Cashew Salted
As well as nuts that have caramel coating - Almonds Caramel - Pecan Caramel - Hazel
Please do not give your bird Choc Sunflower seeds at all........ many people use these as treats when training.......... because of the different colours

Healthy nuts are Almonds - Brazil - Cashew Plain - Pecan - Raw Peanuts - Macadamias - Walnuts - Mixed Nuts

Keep the nuts in the deep freeze, and take a few out daily.

Do not feed your bird any dried fruit mixes you can purchase.

They have all been treated with Sulphurdioxide (to keep it fresh and to last longer) It is NEVER mentioned on the packaging. Rather buy fresh fruit.

:grey:

here in the US it's easy to buy unsulphured dried fruits. You have to purchase them usually at health food stores or in the organic/vegan section of groceries, but they're there because I buy them for us (Kazi included) all the time.

Re: peanuts, my vet says no peanuts ever no matter what. The stuff that makes birds sick is on the shell, but it can easily transfer to the nut itself whether raw or roasted, so he says no peanuts for parrots. He may be paranoid or something, but I'd rather not take the chance. I do feed Kazi organic, raw almonds, cashews, pecans and walnuts though. The almonds and cashews are his favorite (mine too!).

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
I've also learned that, strangely, they store longer NOT in the shells. You would think it would be the opposite.

I had no idea! I wonder if that's why Kazi doesn't seem to care for his unshelled almonds anymore? He would devour them, then suddenly it was like he just didn't want them any longer. Hmmmm...I thought maybe he'd just had too many and was sick of them. But even after a break he still doesn't want them.

Maybe he's just spoiled because he knows he'll probably get a shelled one if he holds out long enough. but those are also fresher, so I don't know!

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Codie loves Walnuts, Almonds and Hazelnuts... I keep them in the fridge and she has a couple per day! :)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011

I had no idea! I wonder if that's why Kazi doesn't seem to care for his unshelled almonds anymore? He would devour them, then suddenly it was like he just didn't want them any longer. Hmmmm...I thought maybe he'd just had too many and was sick of them. But even after a break he still doesn't want them.

Maybe he's just spoiled because he knows he'll probably get a shelled one if he holds out long enough. but those are also fresher, so I don't know!

No, I meant the other way. They go bad faster stored in their shells. I had a lot of trouble getting Pete to eat them unshelled too for awhile. It was like he didn't recognize it as an almond if it wasn't in the shell. But, he would eat any other kind of nut that wasn't shelled, lol! And yes, store them in the fridge.

Most Reactions

Latest posts