anybody raising citrons?

zarafia

Super Moderator
Jan 22, 2008
Is anybody raising citrons? I have known them for some time and I don't think that they should be considered lessers. Can I get others' thoughts?

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
Citrons?
Well I tried to breed them, but I only got 2 Peugeot's and Ford Fiesta.
So I stopped..

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Citron 'toos red ... Zarafia, I don't think that any of our members have a citron ... maybe you could enlighten us about them ... :)

OP
Z

zarafia

Super Moderator
Jan 22, 2008
I have been married to a citron since 1989. We met at a pet store that I later worked at. Baka had been a 1988 Christmas eve present but he was brought back a couple month later a nervous wreck. He had begun mutilating his feathers and had become a vicious biter. I have always wondered what really happened to him, but the family that bought him had a grey and a few smaller birds who were all quite sane and tame. The family had named him Pooh (all their birds had Whinny the Pooh names) and he hated that name. To this day if he has been bad he will use the name Pooh "hi Pooh", "come here Pooh" etc...
So I started to call him Baka and got to know him mostlywhile I cleaned the large open aviary he lived in at the store. He kept mostly to himself in the aviary occasionly playing with some of the young bfas and yellow collared macaws that lived there with him. He clearly was very bright and was craving the attention that some of the store pets. His talking skills were extraordinary, he could say "Hi Pooh" when he was returned at about eight months. As he became more focused on our most popular cockatoo named Baby he learned Babys words, "Hi Baby" "Bye-bye" complete with flapping wings. After Baby moved to the new store Birdie a bfa became the most popular bird, so Baka started learning Birdie's words including learning to sing the first verse of Rockabye Baby. He also learned his new name. By this time he had started letting me touch and carress him but then without any warning he would nail me and then flee as if I were going to hit him for biting me. It took about a year before he began to trust me enough to carry him around the store. He has a strong preference for women and he began to interact with a few women who came into the store. One day one of my bosses sold him to one of these ladies. When they were together in the store he was very good with her, but again this time in just one month he was back. the lady had bite marks all up and down her arms and he had started shredding his feathers again. On the bright side he recovered very quickly.
Anyway we've been together ever since, and he continues to be in good feather. We have our ups and downs, he is really too smart for his own good. But we are stuck with each other. I could write for days about Baka, but I won't (at least not all at once).

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
As each bird is an individual their temperament will vary between birds ~ As a general rule of thumb, 'toos aren't great birds for anyone with neighbors that are in close proximity to them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts