Anybody with a female caique have trouble with moodiness?

Pookamama

Jul 10, 2012
Oregon, USA
Parrots
Pepper, a Timneh African Grey
I have been reading through the caique forum and it seems a few people were having trouble with moody, agressive caique males-it seemed to be related to the male thinking it was mating season.

So I was wondering if anybody had the same trouble with female caiques? A local pet store has a female baby caique and from what I've been reading it seem like one may work. But the agression issue has me a tad concerned.

terri526

Jul 13, 2012
New York state
Parrots
Catalina Macaw,Hawkhead.Sun conure,2blk Hd Caiques,Congo Grey,Yellow streaked lory,Rose breasted2,LS2
Hi i have a female caique [Greta].She was my first weaned baby ,Im sure I made lots of mistakes with her.They are right about they are beaky birds! It doesnt matter if their playing,happy or mad they let you know [LOL].So teaching boundries is important.They do go through something I call the terrible 2s.It can start as early as 6 months.I also have a male caique they both did this.[Just to be aware it might happen] What I learned is when I took them out of their cage they didnt want to be held they wanted to play!! So the playstand was always first for awhile then they wanted to see me.They need a large wide cage with swings and LOTS of toys.They also need foot toys they love to play on the bottom.Mine are the best eaters of the bunch for such a little bird [Lots of variety].When anyone asks what kind of bird to get I always say caiques[thats why I have 2].Their the only one of my birds that love everyone in the house [and I trust around new people]I will say they are devils[and when you have one you will understand] but they are my familys favorite and you can see I have alot of birds!

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I think caiques are reputed for being bipolar. It's part of their charm, if you're careful, lol.

I had a male, and he was pretty beaky, which sometimes translated to biting when he was overstimulated somehow. Not sure if females would be any different, because they go into season also.

BHCowner

Oct 28, 2010
Parrots
Neo: Black headed Caique
I think caiques are reputed for being bipolar. It's part of their charm, if you're careful, lol.

I had a male, and he was pretty beaky, which sometimes translated to biting when he was overstimulated somehow. Not sure if females would be any different, because they go into season also.

I haven't been around for a while.... what happened to Puck remy? Sorry for your loss.

I have a caique and he chooses whether he is nice to me at the moment. Terrible 2's have started. Waiting for them to end lol.

Most Reactions

Latest posts