Hi! Newbie seeking Caique advice/guidance.

Ianj

Sep 11, 2023
Parrots
Caique dad to be
Hello!

I wonder if some people could share some experience and advice about Caiques?

Iā€™m looking for a feathery friends and Iā€™ve narrowed down to a Caique or a Conure (although I prefer Caiques! ).

Advice online seems to be conflicting, so I thought Iā€™d share my experiences and get advice from existing owners.

My first question, is there ANYONE who has had a mostly positive experience with Caiques, without MAJOR drama or SERIOUS bites šŸ˜…?

Iā€™m expecting some drama, mischief and some nips or warning bites - it comes with the territory! But Iā€™m trying to understand where the horror stories of shocking attacks on faces and completely unhandalable birds are the standard or the exception?

Iā€™m also wondering if at 2years, the birds have largely developed their personality?

Iā€™ve had two experiences with two separate caiques that were 2+years of age in pet shops.

One looked adorable and sweetly doing his own this around the shop, but when he was encouraged to step up he refused two people and bit one (pretty hard!). So an immediate show of a challenging bird.

The shop keeper said ā€œsometimes heā€™s like that, but he gets better once he gets to know peopleā€ (although Iā€™m suspicious, because it took him 20 minutes to coax the bird back in to its cage.

(I decided 100% he wasnā€™t for me).

The other was a curious one.

The pet shop owner advised heā€™d been brought in, because heā€™d developed a distaste for women with long blonde hair and theyā€™d experienced the behaviour in the shop. (So the shop keeper was honest).

The said I could handle him if I wanted to, that he was usually fine, but weā€™d know very quickly if he didnā€™t like meā€¦

ā€¦Well, turns out he was good as gold! He sat on my shoulder, whistled and chattered and would happily step up and allowed me to put him in and out of his cage over and over.

I returned a few days later and he was exactly the same! The sweetest little thing.

Iā€™m smitten

Sooooā€¦ I wanted to get experienced owners and breeders take on this however.

I want to understandā€¦

* does this sound like heā€™s largely formed his personality and that heā€™s just decided he doesnā€™t like females with long blonde hair?

* do caiqies regularly turn nasty? I mean (as in REALLY nasty)ā€¦ is this par for the course or do many people have mostly good relationships with their caique?

* do caiques (somewhat like amazons) develop grudges with some people, but remain lovely for their favourites? Or is this a slippery slope of ā€˜the firstā€™ person they dislike and it goes downhill from there?

* Lastly, at the age of 2, can good training still work?

Essentially this little bird has really got me smitten and heā€™s good as gold with me.

(I quite like the idea of a rehome, because there are so many parrots that get abandoned or rescued, so this would fit that intention, but I want to do my research first).

Iā€™m super clear there are no guarantees, but as this is a 20 year commitment, itā€™s helpful to seek some input from more experienced people as to whether is a sensible risk, or whether experience says this is a bad bad idea and has a high likelihood of ending in tears for everyone involved!

Thanks so much for any pointers or advice!

Ian

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Hello!

I wonder if some people could share some experience and advice about Caiques?

Iā€™m looking for a feathery friends and Iā€™ve narrowed down to a Caique or a Conure (although I prefer Caiques! ).

Advice online seems to be conflicting, so I thought Iā€™d share my experiences and get advice from existing owners.

My first question, is there ANYONE who has had a mostly positive experience with Caiques, without MAJOR drama or SERIOUS bites šŸ˜…?

Iā€™m expecting some drama, mischief and some nips or warning bites - it comes with the territory! But Iā€™m trying to understand where the horror stories of shocking attacks on faces and completely unhandalable birds are the standard or the exception?

Iā€™m also wondering if at 2years, the birds have largely developed their personality?

Iā€™ve had two experiences with two separate caiques that were 2+years of age in pet shops.

One looked adorable and sweetly doing his own this around the shop, but when he was encouraged to step up he refused two people and bit one (pretty hard!). So an immediate show of a challenging bird.

The shop keeper said ā€œsometimes heā€™s like that, but he gets better once he gets to know peopleā€ (although Iā€™m suspicious, because it took him 20 minutes to coax the bird back in to its cage.

(I decided 100% he wasnā€™t for me).

The other was a curious one.

The pet shop owner advised heā€™d been brought in, because heā€™d developed a distaste for women with long blonde hair and theyā€™d experienced the behaviour in the shop. (So the shop keeper was honest).

The said I could handle him if I wanted to, that he was usually fine, but weā€™d know very quickly if he didnā€™t like meā€¦

ā€¦Well, turns out he was good as gold! He sat on my shoulder, whistled and chattered and would happily step up and allowed me to put him in and out of his cage over and over.

I returned a few days later and he was exactly the same! The sweetest little thing.

Iā€™m smitten

Sooooā€¦ I wanted to get experienced owners and breeders take on this however.

I want to understandā€¦

* does this sound like heā€™s largely formed his personality and that heā€™s just decided he doesnā€™t like females with long blonde hair?

* do caiqies regularly turn nasty? I mean (as in REALLY nasty)ā€¦ is this par for the course or do many people have mostly good relationships with their caique?

* do caiques (somewhat like amazons) develop grudges with some people, but remain lovely for their favourites? Or is this a slippery slope of ā€˜the firstā€™ person they dislike and it goes downhill from there?

* Lastly, at the age of 2, can good training still work?

Essentially this little bird has really got me smitten and heā€™s good as gold with me.

(I quite like the idea of a rehome, because there are so many parrots that get abandoned or rescued, so this would fit that intention, but I want to do my research first).

Iā€™m super clear there are no guarantees, but as this is a 20 year commitment, itā€™s helpful to seek some input from more experienced people as to whether is a sensible risk, or whether experience says this is a bad bad idea and has a high likelihood of ending in tears for everyone involved!

Thanks so much for any pointers or advice!

Ian
Parrot species can have generalities of behavior. For example, my grey is very shy as many greys are. However, I had a grey once who was gregarious, funny, and always had to be near me. My current grey is so sweet but super cautious. Caiques are generally high energy and my understanding is that they do well in pairs (?). Theyā€™re curious, demanding, and not for the faint of heart. Keep researching and talking to caique owners who can give their personal experience. Iā€™ve always admired Caiques! So funny and full of personality.

OP
Ianj

Ianj

Sep 11, 2023
Parrots
Caique dad to be
Thanks so much!

I did a whoooooole ton of research and in the end decided a caique might just be too much for me as a beginner and for my vibe.

I ended up going for a sweet little conure as a more beginner level bird and with a slightly more forgiving/even temperament.

His name is Gizmo šŸ„°šŸ¦œ

Attachments

• IMG_5386.jpeg
    IMG_5386.jpeg
    276.5 KB · Views: 13

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Thanks so much!

I did a whoooooole ton of research and in the end decided a caique might just be too much for me as a beginner and for my vibe.

I ended up going for a sweet little conure as a more beginner level bird and with a slightly more forgiving/even temperament.

Congrats! Welcome home Gizmo!

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Thanks so much!

Welcome Gizmo! I love GCCs and hope to one day have another. Theyā€™re so sweet.

Most Reactions

Latest posts