Anyone else get depressed looking at cages?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
What are you like, ha ha ha ?

I hope Kiwi's as happy as you are with the cage? I have just purchased a Montana for Plum and it is very disappointing in terms of quality. I couldn't let Plum be a free range parrot I'd have no plaster on the walls or wood door surrounds but he'd be one happy parrot.

Kiwi loves his cage:green:! He made himself right at home as soon as I got out of it lol. Then he figured out how to remove the breeder door and became free range:) I know not every bird can be free range though. Alfie the G2 escaped once when no one was home and when my dad returned, he thought he had been burglarized. That tiny bird ransacked the house and could well have burnt it down because he turned the stove on then ripped the knobs off:eek:. Kiwi, on the other hand, sticks to his area and we can leave him for hours on end and he is totally fine. My moms amazons are the same way, though she still puts them up when she leaves since they are flighted and roam. Every bird/home is different, but it's a consideration for some.

I was actually really surprised that a "generic" no brand cage like ours is as nice as it is. It is well constructed heavy wrought iron and the coating is nice. I think it'll last a long time. We've had it about a year and a half now, no chips, no rust (his old A&E cage was already starting to form chips and rust before a year).

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
They are all made in China now, and I worry about the finish on them. Working with manufacturers there , I know they will cut every corner, use sub par material, unless watched constantly like a hawk.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
They are all made in China now, and I worry about the finish on them. Working with manufacturers there , I know they will cut every corner, use sub par material, unless watched constantly like a hawk.

We got a quote for one hand made here in the US roughly the size of Kiwi's. Estimated at $4000, shipping not included. A cage that costs more than one of our cars? I think not! The majority of people can't afford American made, sadly.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
it really scares me. no one is doing toxicology studies on the paint that's used on bird cages. And if I could find a company in China that does powder coating I could make a fortune because nobody does it. My company's products have to be brought back into the United States so that we can have them powder coated. we had one Chinese company was using radioactive Steel from decommissioned power plants in Russia to make parts to be imported into the United States. You think they care about bird cages?

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
it really scares me. no one is doing toxicology studies on the paint that's used on bird cages. And if I could find a company in China that does powder coating I could make a fortune because nobody does it. My company's products have to be brought back into the United States so that we can have them powder coated. we had one Chinese company was using radioactive Steel from decommissioned power plants in Russia to make parts to be imported into the United States. You think they care about bird cages?

We have no real choice here on the rip off isle. It's all from China or import for an arm and a leg from the states. I am panicking now!

coopedup

Apr 8, 2016
CA
Parrots
7y/o eclectus Wrangler
Ive been looking at cages and have found some on Amazon under RW...Roland Warehouse, or something like that---in West Covina California. Look like standard cages, powdercoated, etc...but significantly cheaper than Kings and others. I like the price, but im not sure i can trust them. They say they are bird safe powdercoat...but is there any proof of this? What else should I be looking out for?

Brittany741

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Parrots
SI Eclectus (Ruby) - 11 / Eclectus (Wrangler) - 7 / Eclectus (Pinto) - 6 /
Red Sided Eclectus (Oliver) - 4 mos. /
White Bellied Caique (Dan) - 2 /
Foster Congo African Grey (Molly) - 6

We use a local company for all my husband's company's powdercoated products as well. They just did a cage for us personally and I can't wait to get it back. They did it to match our other kings cages.

Brittany741

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Parrots
As for trustworthiness, I've seen and had many a "cheap" cage and they are worth what you pay. They have shoddy workmanship, bad door design, and plenty of areas where the powdercoating wasn't sprayed thick enough.

Truly, cages are really "you get what you pay for." There are other options out there- buying a nice used cage and having it re-powdercoated is a good option. King's makes decent cages but unfortunately nothing is as good as the amazing cages from the 90's, unless you buy custom. Concessions will always need to be made for a cheaper cage, but for most people that's not a problem. Minor modifications can solve a multitude of complaints, except for hinge design unless you're a competent welder.

coopedup

Apr 8, 2016
CA
Parrots
7y/o eclectus Wrangler
Truly, cages are really "you get what you pay for." There are other options out there- buying a nice used cage and having it re-powdercoated is a good option. King's makes decent cages but unfortunately nothing is as good as the amazing cages from the 90's,.

When I was cleaning my cage this week I noticed a tag on the base....it's a california cage, yippee!!! I may just get it powder coated later this year.

Brittany741

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Parrots
Great news! They are wonderfully made. I only have one now but it will be exchanged out for a King's European when I finally get another two matching cages for Molly and Dan.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I wish I had bought a nice big stainless steel cage 30 years ago.
I would have saved money in the long run!!!!!
Now looking for yet another new cage... grrrrr!!!!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I wish California Cage co. was still around. I got Robin in the mid 90's, and his cage I got back then was so well made (heavy duty powder coated) that I had it for over 20 years. It did have one broken weld and a bit of chipping paint by then, but not at all as bad as you'd think. These days, most of the cages out there aren't made nearly as well. The ones that are cost a fortune.

I bought cages for Robin, Raven, and Griffin in the past couple years. I bought them all online, sight unseen. I think in the future I'd want to see the cage first if it's one I'm not familiar with. You can't judge the quality by the pic, or see every detail and make sure the features are to your liking.

I got lucky with Raven's from King's Cages. I like it, whereas I'm not thrilled with Robin's cage from the same company. I got Griffin's from Petco.com (an A&E) and it was so lopsided that I had to send parts of it back and get replacements (Petco.com had excellent customer service and made sure to get a 'good' replacement from A&E asap). Then I couldn't use the cage long anyway because he developed a habit of biting the bars so hard that he chipped the paint off. He got an aluminum King's Cage after that. About the only thing I like about it is the fact that you can get it wet and it doesn't ruin it. Griffin loves spray baths. The powder coated imports will degrade and rust and chip if not dried.

So yes. It was not only depressing, but frustrating! Good luck Gail!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I finally settled on a Lani Kai Playtop, purchased from birdcages4less.com, upon Sailboat's recommendation. That was years ago. Since then, I have bought several replacement parts as needed (as the Rb destroys them). Service is great. I think maybe the key (unless you want to buy stainless) is to buy a popular cage that has replacement parts at the ready, from a long-standing and reputable company like this one. Today, I received a new bottom grate that was damaged. They asked for photos, and then within a few hours, they said they would send me another, no cost, no return necessary, no further questions asked.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Yes...cages=frustrating expensive and never big enough...even when they break the bank and fill your home :(

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Oh wow I forgot about this little nugget. How in earth did it get almost 4000 views??!

Never did get a new cage for him. But since we’ve moved into our new home and he has an entire room to himself I’ve been contemplating a walk in aviary. Time will tell!

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
LOL what did you expect... almost every (house)parrot needs a cage sometime in its life..and all of the usual suspects are waaaay to small to begin with and the larger ones cost a lot and still turn out to be crappy :(

These threads are gold! :)
Forewarned and all that jazz

Last edited:

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
You know, I've never really felt this way about my bird's cages...I understand what you're saying, and yes, even though all of my bird's cages are very large and loaded with different toys and activities, I understand that they are still inside of a "cage" when I'm not home...

I think I just look at it from the point of view that if my birds weren't with me, they still would have been bred by their breeders, and they'd still be someone's pets and kept in a cage, and it's safe to say that they'd be in their cages for much longer during each day than they are with me; whenever I'm home, my 4 larger birds are out flying around the house, playing on their stands/play-gym, and my 8 Budgies live in a walk-in aviary inside the house. And I get to come home for lunch every day and let them out to eat with me...

**So I look at it from that point of view...My birds wouldn't be living outside in the "wild" if they weren't with me, they'd be someone else'e pets, and it's almost a given that they'd definitely be spending much more time inside of their cages with someone else as their owner...And their cages are large and full of toys and foraging activities, food, treats, etc...

LeslieA

Aug 21, 2018
Media
Albums
Parrotian Castle
Parrots
Glenn, IRN; Sherman, WCP; JoJo, budgie; Tommy, budgie; Daytona, Sunday; Sir Lancelot, GCC; Duchess, BCC; Chirps, GRP (Green-rumped Parrotlet)
I finally settled on a Lani Kai Playtop, purchased from birdcages4less.com, upon Sailboat's recommendation. That was years ago. Since then, I have bought several replacement parts as needed (as the Rb destroys them). Service is great. I think maybe the key (unless you want to buy stainless) is to buy a popular cage that has replacement parts at the ready, from a long-standing and reputable company like this one. Today, I received a new bottom grate that was damaged. They asked for photos, and then within a few hours, they said they would send me another, no cost, no return neceYou ssary, no further questions asked.
Cages seem expensive. Two things I've found import when cage hunting: size and customer service.

As discussed over and over, dimensions, wire gauge and type as well as bar spacing are all major concerns. If you buy a sturdy cage, it will last a long time otherwise you'll end up with a dead or sick bird and deflated wallet. I have a collection of broken apart cages that can be retrieved rather easily and quickly.

Recently, I was putting a retrieved cage together and was missing some parts and some were bent. I contacted the company and told them my plight. The receptionist (assumedly) was so thrilled that I was a dedicated Prevue purchaser that she sent me not only parts, but an entire cage for shipping only. The funny part... shipping was free! Even when I called back, she said it was their mistake and apologized and wouldn't charge me!

The adage is definitely true! You do get what you pay for! Prevue (now Prevue Hendryx) has been making Select/Heavy duty style playtop cages for over 30 years. (I don't remember what my parents bought before that.) I replace waste trays regularly because the quality of those went downhill when Hendryx bought them. (I noticed that in the replacement as well.) Even so, the cage is heavy duty... My WCP is in one across the room right now!

joyknights

Oct 4, 2018
Vancouver
Parrots
Lovebirds
It is always better to invest into something of a good quality. I only feel stress when looking at a cage that is crowded. BTW, is it okay to use one of these ferret cages for my lovebirds? My grandpa told me that if I won't get him Cockatoo for his birthday next month, I might as well buy a new cage for the lovebirds at home. Also, have you ever made a purchase from Petstreetmall? Would you mind sharing to me your thoughts or might as well tell me where to find an extensive list of cages to choose from?

Last edited:

Morty

Sep 20, 2018
New York
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Pizza Roll), Jenday Conure (Woody)
Mine has a 30x18... but he's out all day, every day with me at work, and only sleeps in the cage. All cages have their applications. Nothing compares to freedom but it also depends on the time you have. Honestly, for as small as my GCC's cage is, it's large compared to him and there's a million toys for him. He entertains himself. Cages are to keep them safe, not prisons. :) So don't think of it that way.

Most Reactions