Anyone else have a nocturnal macaw?

nyspy

Nov 5, 2013
Parrots
Pretty Birdy (BG Macaw)
Duke (BG Macaw)
Pretty Birdy decided he was going to come down off his perch and venture out through the house at night (while I'm sleeping). The house is completely dark (literally no lights). I wake up in the morning to find the box of pistachios completely ripped open with the shells everywhere.

Doesn't matter where I put the nuts. I've had them on the dining room table, the kitchen counter, my office desk. He always finds them and leaves me a mess of empty shells in the morning.

I don't think it's Duke (the other macaw), because the mess always leads back towards Pretty Birdy in the morning.

I personally think it's funny!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The only time I ever had nocturnal activity, was my Greenwing when we were moving from California to Texas, and staying at the motel.

She kept hopping off her playstand and trying to climb into bed with me...

I finally had to put her travel perch on the nightstand by my bed. She waited until the first time I opened my eyes, and then was right back on my chest...

Mine have always been really good at night. They all have their sleep spots, and don't seem to wander from them at all...

Lis

Aug 20, 2013
Indiana
Parrots
"Larry Bird" Quaker, 12 years
"Mogul" CAG 17 years
"Duke" B&G Macaw 22 years
"Pepper" GW Macaw 6 years
Omg that made me laugh. Both stories. All I could think of was if that happened at my house my husband would panic. Lol

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
I have only ever had Fargo be active at night about 3-4 times!

Fargo goes to sleep between 7-7:30pm.. His bedtime is getting later, it used to be 6pm on the dot hahaha

But as soon as i turn the lights off, he goes to where he sleeps, and doesn't move until i wake up!

One time i have walked into my room 30 minutes later to find him sitting on the chair kissing the baby possum, in complete darkness..

Another time he has gone to the computer keyboard and destroyed that in complete darkness!!

and twice he has been fast asleep.. Then he just flies to the other side of the room :S

Sometimes i hear 'helloooooo?' at midnight if i accidentally wake him up :eek: haha

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
My macaws goes to bed after lights out....but I have some night owl Cockatiels that sing their little heart out in the dark....lol

OP
nyspy

nyspy

Nov 5, 2013
Parrots
Pretty Birdy (BG Macaw)
Duke (BG Macaw)
Haha.. nice to know I'm definitely not the only one with the little toddler that doesn't want to go to sleep. There's definitely nothing wrong with it in my eyes.. I find it amusing that he goes exploring. The irony is he will come up to "go to sleep" with me in the room, but as soon as I'm passed out, he obviously goes on his little adventure.

I know the guy feels safe in the house, because he will randomly fall asleep in the house on his back. I find him in the weirdest spots. The middle of the living room (asleep), the top of the stair landing (asleep), on the stairs (asleep), in the bathroom on the rug in front of the toilet (asleep).. It's funny and ever so cute. I just don't walk around the house with my camera so I don't have any pics..

He's taken to sleeping during the day a lot though.. pretty entertaining.

Chesphoto

Feb 10, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Parrots
Skittles - scarlet macaw
Hahaha, Birdman. Tabs, Mikey and nyspy's stories crack me up. Oh, the joy they bring
to our our lives.

Last edited:

davisn456

May 3, 2013
Saint Albans, WV
Parrots
1 B&G Macaw - Frankie
Once in a while, I've heard Frankie playing with toys at night. There's a bell on one of her toys that she rings, but it's usually shortly after lights out. I've never heard her do anything other than moving from one spot to another in her cage. Frankie likes to tuck herself in at night too...after we established a routine, she knows when it's time for bed and sometimes even goes in the cage and pulls the door shut. I always give her a treat at bedtime, so she learned the routine pretty quickly.

Most Reactions