Anyone had experience with a parrot post stroke?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
You can put a box on the scale sbd zero it out, then weigh her.
You definitely need to be seeing how her weight is.
But yes great job getting her this far!! What's her name??? Your African grey has the heart of a lion she us definitely a fighter!!!

OP
CyrusLUVSGemma
Jan 25, 2021
Shes (Gemma) is eating, taking her meds, even flying a tiny bit (5 foot flight). I got her out and she wants to do too much so I gotta watch her because shes real dizzy and weak. She eats mostly peanut butter and blueberry . some sweet potatoes, eggs yesterday but no solid food yet. pooping liquidy fluid regular which is normal i guess.

Can someone recommend? insurance? I dont really trust the ER place I took her to they took 7 hours to Xray and simply look at her, and they confused the talon marks for feather plucking, so who knows.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Come on Gemma!!! Sounds like she is improving. Yes keep her quiet, limit activity, but still have snuggle time.

Can you take a picture of poo and share?
Yes with all liquid diet going to hsve mire liquid. But can easily get in trouble with yeast overgrowth or bacteria on all that sweet stuff!!!

You gotta get creative, and keep trying other stuff. You tried oatmeal? Some fresh made rice with minced veggies?
You can baby baby food jars if human bsby food like sweet potatoes, pumpkin, or Spinach ones, and other healthy veggies ones. Dontt get the sweet fruits she has had to much sweets. Make sure not fortified .
Try some cooked and mashed up beans, hopefully the fiber will help slow things down. Cooked and mashed up peas...

OP
CyrusLUVSGemma
Jan 25, 2021
ok the last oral med feeding wasn't very successful, can I administer the drugs via needle? she stronger and being very rebellious! im frustrated not knowing if she actually ingested anything.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
You can nit take oral meds and give by needle!
Your vet can give specially made for injection antibiotics if needed.

Its great that she is getting stronger!!!!! Great news!!!

Wrap her in towel. Abd weigh her before sbd after feeding. I had to do this to know i was getting food in mine. Stay calm, go slow .

Keep offering all kinds of food to temp her...

I'm rooting for you!!!

OP
CyrusLUVSGemma
Jan 25, 2021
Thank you so much! I have injectable antibiotics that me and a rescue used for 2 days until ER visit. the doctor said this is better(clavamox) however im tempted to shoot up the 1st antibiotic again, its not effective if shes spitting it out. Can i try to mix all the meds in peanut butter? it says mix in water not sure what else i can mix with the meds.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Clsvamox isn't the greatest medicine....was this a certified avain veterinarian????? You have to give that 3 times a day right? I would talk to your vet about switching to a different medication.

What us the injection antibiotic called?

You can out her a box and weight . I think you really need to be seeing thst yiu are getting enough foid in her.

Have you git the baby bird formula, or the eneriade yet?

Does she have head or face trauma that makes eating painful? Have you offered her her normal foods? Csn she stand yet?

Last edited:
OP
CyrusLUVSGemma
Jan 25, 2021
exotic doctor and avian also, dvm/ mph. The same doctor confused hawk claw marks with feather plucking, go figure.

Baytril is what we injected from the start, think we should go back? vs the oral method?

Pentoxifylline for atherosclerosis

meloxicam for pain

25762d1611877914-anyone-had-experience-parrot-post-stroke-image0-5-.jpeg

Attachments

• image0 (5).jpeg
    image0 (5).jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited by a moderator:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Poor sweet baby...
I dont know if you can clip a heating pad so its hanging up near her and radiates heat out towards her? You do not want to set her on a heating pad. And of course if she is active enough to chew or get in trouble...
But extra warmth is important, saves thrm calories and helps them heal...

Write 7 more reply in this thread then you can message . You have to hsve 20 posts. Or go reply in other threads.

Last edited:
OP
CyrusLUVSGemma
Jan 25, 2021
The rescue lady wants to try and ask another vet for a clavamox injectable.

I dont know about electrical wires and her Id hate her to chew any part of a pad either. anyway im keeping it warm 75-80 over that you have to consider dehydration is possible as well.

yes im almost able to message.!

So your bird enjoys the taste of that Emeraid?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I used baby burd formula sold at pet stores called exact . Yes they liked it, except my green cheek conure...she are some out of a cup once, and took from a syringe on her own once......

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Yes, I would think so, mix with what it takes to get them in her.
How is she doing? Improvements?,

OP
CyrusLUVSGemma
Jan 25, 2021
Perching in her cage today, she climbed 4ft and perched uptop. poop is more normal looking I made her eat crushed beans today, and last night, blueberries she enjoys, water.

I think I will just blend her meds with sauce again and just tunnel it down her for the 1st 2 weeks. She's stronger now and I cant just hope the meds are getting in her, especially antibiotics, I was lucky enough to shoot her with it night of attack, don't wanna drop the ball now. in the meanwhile ill keep working on ways to get her to eat it willingly. the heart meds are for life.

Thank you Laura

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm so thrilled to hear your hard work is paying off!!!!!!! Come on little baby Gemma!
This is what I used available at most pet stores, less than 15 dollars I think. Worth getting and trying serve warm. Lots if good nutrition
laurasea-albums-penny-picture23102-20210129-105026.jpg

Last edited:
OP
CyrusLUVSGemma
Jan 25, 2021
The Emeraid should be here any day, I just hope its quality n tasty. she just ate a nibble of pizza i was having. The meds were not diluted much this time and I held her beak open it all went straight down. I am starting to have faith that she might pull through, and that she will overcome some of her disability, she was a hyperactive byrd . shes flying! but cant land well or walk well, one wing droops a little sometimes.

Ive watched these hawks eat my wild buddies I feed all year, its so gruesome, they pluck them alive, and eat their organs alive , while they squeal. I thought this happend to my baby, I watched it so many times here. Im so lucky just to see her again.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm do glad she is feeling better. But you have got to keep her quiet and give her more time to heal. It hasn't even been a week , it takes longer than that for a deep bruise to go away..and she has more than a bruise. So keep trying to baby her.

I hope your critical care bird formula comes soon too.

Keep up the good work on foods. Keep giving her time to heal.

I love your updates!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts