anyone have a barbet or mynah

cateyes221981

Nov 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I put a nest box attached to my mynahs cage and he started to pretend he was feeding chicks? has anyone elses mynah done this?

Mine also puffs up and makes this croaking noise a lot

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Wow, they used to be popular softbills some years ago, but you just don't hear of Mynahs as pets these days. I guess they have a soft diet and can be pretty messy? Does he talk? He must be much different from a parrot though. Pics?
Sorry, I don't have the answers to your questions, now I'm the one asking YOU questions lol :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I had a mynah years ago, and he did croak and puff himself up a lot. He never had a nest box, so I don't know about that part, though. Thank you for the memory, I hadn't thought of him in years:)
I'd love to see pictures of yours!

OP
C

cateyes221981

Nov 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
yeah he talks, hes really diff from parrots, hes really predatory and really really smart, I dont know but he may even be smarter than the parrots? Its shocking how smart he is.

Yeah i will show pictures, the barbet is like a mini toucan.

I keep them both in large seperate aviary because they will kill parrots and or raid their nests. So i cant let them out with the hook bills.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
yeah he talks, hes really diff from parrots, hes really predatory and really really smart, I dont know but he may even be smarter than the parrots? Its shocking how smart he is.

Yeah i will show pictures, the barbet is like a mini toucan.

I keep them both in large seperate aviary because they will kill parrots and or raid their nests. So i cant let them out with the hook bills.

Thanks for the interesting info :)
I've heard Mynahs are extremely intelligent. Aren't they Corvids? Related to Crows and Ravens? I could be wrong, but if they are, that whole family is super intelligent. I didn't know they were predatory or would try to harm hookbills!

OP
C

cateyes221981

Nov 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
i dont think they are, they are more related to starlings and grackles but they seem to be as smart or close to a crows brain

he will eat anything snakes, lizard, mice if he sees anything he will fly at it and hammer it lol

OP
C

cateyes221981

Nov 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
i have a lot of cement pearches but i waas told they are hard on softbills feet, anyone else find this? thought it would have been good for their claws and beak.

Most Reactions

Latest posts