Anyone have a bird who likes to poop the floor around his cage?

locito277

May 5, 2010
Florida
Parrots
B&G (Lola), Harlequin (Mac) and Camelina (Sunny)
Hey guys one of my macaws loves to poop outside his cage. He literally does it 80% of the time. Are there any tips? I can install the seed catchers but then taking the cages out for a ocean would be a major job. Thanks

CrazyEyes

Banned
Banned
Feb 15, 2014
Florida
Parrots
Tikki-Mustache Parakeet, Beaker-Sun Conure, Bongo-B&G Macaw
my B&G poops alot around the house but he spends alot of time out of his cage.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
O my goodness yes. Kiwi can be in his cage playing, and will climb out up on the door, poop, and go right on back in to continue playing. We just bought a big, cheap rug at Ross and keep it under his cage. We vacuum up the poops once they've dried, hose it off every few months and if the rug gets stained, it's not a big deal. He is, however potty trained not to "go" anywhere BUT his "areas" (cage, t-perch and play stand). We don't want to push the potty training too much though, which is why we let the cage door pooping slide. We have heard of horror stories of birds who get potty trained too well and will ONLY poop on command, which can lead to serious medical issues since they will just hold it until the owner tells them to poop.

Last edited:

Rizosmom

Oct 14, 2013
Winnipeg Canada
Parrots
Rizo the Sun Conure hatched May 2013
Kenickie Hahns Macaw hatched Nov 2013
Daughter has a 5 year old Senegal named Maggie
Rizo is very much like kiwi....she will go out of the cage onto her door alllll the way to the edge and then poop....her cage has a seed catcher so I think that's why she goes right to the edge....god forbid get the seed catcher dirty:20: I love her to pieces but really????? Lol!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
We went to the carpet/lino store and bought some linoleum pieces that were the end of the roll. They were inexpensive, and we have a piece under each cage. It sticks out far enough around so that it catches their poop. It is easy to clean as well:)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
The worst is when the poop goes all the way down the side of the cage, where you have 1-2 feet of poop to try and clean off the bars instead of just one spot

I hate 'seed catchers'. They're just another thing to clean. Either that or hit your leg on the sharp corner... I just put newspaper down under where they sit on the top of their doors.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
SEED CATCHERS ARE HARDER TO CLEAN THAN THE FLOOR!!!

Mine do this too. I just put sheet linoleum under the cages like a rug, to make it easier to clean, and to protect the floors.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
My cockatoo climbs out on his balcony to poop and he has also pooped on me a couple of times when I have been foolish enough to walk under him. I know it's intentional, his aim is right on. When a small parrot poops on you, you can wipe it off but when an Umbrella poops on you, you need a bath. :) I put newspaper on the floor and he never misses unless he's being a brat.

warthog

Feb 25, 2014
Tampa Fla
Parrots
A too named Fireball
My too goes in the same 2 spots off his cage and on to the floor. We have dogs and use puppy training pads so I put a couple of those around his cage and just throw them away when they get to bad. Plus they catch a lot of his dust.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
My Georgie did this--would actually climb out of the cage to poo and then go back in. She liked her cage clean i guess. I also bought little neutral throw rugs that were inexpensive and machine washable and would protect the floor that way.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
My Ripley nearly never poops in his cage. I honestly wish he would though...here is why:

About a week ago I was getting ready to take him out in the morning, so I could start with cage duties. Ripley "usually" takes his first morning doo-doo on the kitchen counter, so it's fairly easy to clean up. Not so on that day! I took him out, and he was rather fidgety, so I KNEW he had to go pretty badly. I was telling him "Wait, hold it", as I was moving as quickly as possible from the cage towards the kitchen counter.

Mind you, I was in motion, when Ripley decided to bomb away. :rolleyes: Now I have NO idea where he stored THAT amount of waste. I had it on my slipper, on my lower pant leg, upper pant leg, on the (oriental) rug, AND on the floor. :eek: As soon as he was done "relieving" himself he said: "That's better." :30: Yeah...for him maybe, not for me. :32:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Mind you, I was in motion, when Ripley decided to bomb away. :rolleyes: Now I have NO idea where he stored THAT amount of waste. I had it on my slipper, on my lower pant leg, upper pant leg, on the (oriental) rug, AND on the floor. :eek: As soon as he was done "relieving" himself he said: "That's better." :30: Yeah...for him maybe, not for me. :32:

I am falling out of my chair here...he said That's better???
LOLOLOLOL

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
SEED CATCHERS ARE HARDER TO CLEAN THAN THE FLOOR!!!

Mine do this too. I just put sheet linoleum under the cages like a rug, to make it easier to clean, and to protect the floors.

Yes, seed (I mean poop) catchers are hard to clean. I've always put the clear plastic carpet protectors down under cages with newspaper on top of it. I LIKE your linoleum idea. If it's smooth I bet it's a breeze to just spray and wipe.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I am falling out of my chair here...he said That's better???
LOLOLOLOL

Yes, he said that. I always tell him "That's better, isn't it", after he does potty like a good boy on the counter. So that was a wee bit out of context. :54:

OP
L

locito277

May 5, 2010
Florida
Parrots
B&G (Lola), Harlequin (Mac) and Camelina (Sunny)
Hey guys thanks for all the stories and solutions. :). I figured the seed catcher would be way more trouble than required. I guess I can try newspaper around the cage actually the wee wee pads sounds like the best one. Anyone try acrylic?

Most Reactions

Latest posts