onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I’m addicted to watching their adorable baby videos on Facebook. They are a breeder in Arizona and ship. Curious if anyone here has a baby from them?

ps: anyone else get ”baby (bird) fever”? πŸ˜… I want all the babies!

Last edited:

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
Before I got my parrots, I would spend hours watching youtube videos of them. I think I used to watch these guys as well. I've stopped watching them now though as I know I'll want more birds, and 8 is enough for me πŸ˜…

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I’m addicted to watching their adorable baby videos on Facebook. They are a breeder in Arizona and ship. Curious is anyone here has a baby from them?

After having raised Rocky, I LOVE all baby parrots! I can watch baby bird videos for hours. They're just so darn cute with their oversized bald heads, little chicken wings and begging beaks! The way they toddle around, falling over flapping like mad! Makes me want to breed birds just so I can enjoy the babies, but NO MORE BIRDS for me (for now, anyway)!

I saw a short video of a man who had what looked like about eight baby large parrots (macaws or CAGs) that he put on a large bed lined up with their heads at the pillows and the blanket pulled up covering their feet. He leans over and gives each baby a big kiss on the beak while saying something like It's time to put all my babies to bed. Goodnight my babies! Kiss kiss kiss etc. It was just so dang cute!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
After having raised Rocky, I LOVE all baby parrots! I can watch baby bird videos for hours. They're just so darn cute with their oversized bald heads, little chicken wings and begging beaks! The way they toddle around, falling over flapping like mad! Makes me want to breed birds just so I can enjoy the babies, but NO MORE BIRDS for me (for now, anyway)!

I saw a short video of a man who had what looked like about eight baby large parrots (macaws or CAGs) that he put on a large bed lined up with their heads at the pillows and the blanket pulled up covering their feet. He leans over and gives each baby a big kiss on the beak while saying something like It's time to put all my babies to bed. Goodnight my babies! Kiss kiss kiss etc. It was just so dang cute!
I just looked at Conure Coop and WOW! What beautiful babies! What I can't figure out is how many real species of conures they are breeding. Are most of them green cheek mutations or are they separate species? They seem to refer to them as different species but they are mostly the size and shape of green cheeks. Does anyone know?

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
I just looked at Conure Coop and WOW! What beautiful babies! What I can't figure out is how many real species of conures they are breeding. Are most of them green cheek mutations or are they separate species? They seem to refer to them as different species but they are mostly the size and shape of green cheeks. Does anyone know?
They’re all green cheeks but are different color mutations. I LOVE those opamints. *Almost* as pretty as Ona πŸ˜‰

Before I got my parrots, I would spend hours watching youtube videos of them. I think I used to watch these guys as well. I've stopped watching them now though as I know I'll want more birds, and 8 is enough for me πŸ˜…
Haha right?! I want them all!!! I want a zoo.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
They’re all green cheeks but are different color mutations. I LOVE those opamints. *Almost* as pretty as Ona πŸ˜‰
I just found a resource called Avian Resources that shows most of the green cheek mutations with descriptions of how the genetics for each work (dominant, recessive, sex linked, etc). I didn't know that aviculture had been making so many mutations and combinations of mutations in green cheeks! They come in so many colors now, like budgies and cockatiels. This must be fairly recent like over the last 30 years. Apparently green cheeks are prolific, easy breeders in captivity because they would need to be in order to develop so many mutations and combos so quickly. I suspect the price of green cheeks will someday be on par with well bred hand raised cockatiels ($300-$500 depending on mutation). I'm not sure it's a good thing to make them so affordable because more people who aren't serious enough about giving a pet bird what it needs will make impulse purchases or buy them for children that really shouldn't have pet birds like people do with budgies. So many poor budgies are so abused and neglected! Budgies are parrots too but people treat them like decorations. So sad because they are such wonderful complex little creatures.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I’m addicted to watching their adorable baby videos on Facebook. They are a breeder in Arizona and ship. Curious is anyone here has a baby from them?

Are you thinking of getting Ona a friend someday?

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
I just found a resource called Avian Resources that shows most of the green cheek mutations with descriptions of how the genetics for each work (dominant, recessive, sex linked, etc). I didn't know that aviculture had been making so many mutations and combinations of mutations in green cheeks! They come in so many colors now, like budgies and cockatiels. This must be fairly recent like over the last 30 years. Apparently green cheeks are prolific, easy breeders in captivity because they would need to be in order to develop so many mutations and combos so quickly. I suspect the price of green cheeks will someday be on par with well bred hand raised cockatiels ($300-$500 depending on mutation). I'm not sure it's a good thing to make them so affordable because more people who aren't serious enough about giving a pet bird what it needs will make impulse purchases or buy them for children that really shouldn't have pet birds like people do with budgies. So many poor budgies are so abused and neglected! Budgies are parrots too but people treat them like decorations. So sad because they are such wonderful complex little creatures.
Oh, link to the mutations please? Green cheeks normally are over $500. Usually $600-$800 range.

Are you thinking of getting Ona a friend someday?
Always thinking about it!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Oh, link to the mutations please? Green cheeks normally are over $500. Usually $600-$800 range.

Always thinking about it!
As more people breed them the prices may go down but I hope not.

I don't know how to post a link. If you Google green cheek conure mutations it's the first resource that came up for me. There are other good ones too for this same Google search that show even more pictures!

Ona is fine on her own but a friend, maybe a mint or a moon cheek would be nice. See The Feather Tree breeder website for moon cheeks!

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
As more people breed them the prices may go down but I hope not.

I don't know how to post a link. If you Google green cheek conure mutations it's the first resource that came up for me. There are other good ones too for this same Google search that show even more pictures!

Ona is fine on her own but a friend, maybe a mint or a moon cheek would be nice. See The Feather Tree breeder website for moon cheeks!
Oh you just paste the link here :) I think I found it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts