anyone here living in california??

yann

Oct 19, 2013
hi, for ya'all here that happen to live in california…are there any shops ya can recommend for parrot accessories? your input would be greatly appreciated!!:D

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
What part of California are you located in? Won't be much help if the shop is 300-400miles away lol

I like "For Other Living Things" in Sunnyvale, excellent store. But honestly I buy most of my toys from my safe bird store, an online website

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
California here :) Southern CA. But then again, even SoCal is HUGE. What specific area of California are you talking about?

I agree about My Safe Bird Store. I won't buy things that can't be 100% sanitized for viruses. That limits what I can buy at a regular store. The only physical store I've heard of like MSBS is owned by my vet. No birds allowed in there.

First, it would really help to know 'where' specifically you're taking about. CA is very large. It takes about 3 hours to get to San Diego for me, and it's only in the next county over.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Magnolia Bird Farm has 2 locations; Santa Ana and Riverside. The latter is huge with on-site aviaries and a phenomenal selection of toys, accessories, and various types of food. Worth an hour and 15 minute drive for me from north San Diego.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Magnolia Bird Farm has 2 locations; Santa Ana and Riverside. The latter is huge with on-site aviaries and a phenomenal selection of toys, accessories, and various types of food. Worth an hour and 15 minute drive for me from north San Diego.

Besides the Riverside MBF (never been to that location), the other one is in Anaheim. Since they've been in business since the 50's? they're pretty old school on things. About a month ago, I went in there for the first time in many years, but I was in a hurry, so I didn't even have time to see the birds (kept in a different area). Don went in there recently and told me "eww... I wouldn't get a bird from there" and he's not even really a "bird person", but he's used to seeing a clean, bright, happy "modern" bird store where the birds are out on stands and getting enrichment... so for him to say that about MBF, it must not have been very impressive to say the least. I used to go there years ago when I was really into finches. I do think they need to update their practices and give it a facelift as well since it's 2014 now :52: but I don't think things will change as long as it's the same owner who started back in the "old days".

MrsKay

Jun 23, 2014
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Larry)
Canary (Norman)
Funny this should come up right now. Here goes...
My husband and I went to Magnolia Bird Farm in Riverside last week (a 120 mile drive from our home) We wanted to see the facility and look at accessories. It was filthy to say the least! Very disappointing.
First we walked through the store into a large aviary outside. There were at least 10 separate aviaries outside, partially covered. They were filthy. I'm talking fresh and dried feces on the cage sides and perches. The ground was covered with feces, seed, food & feathers. Some of the birds had very large bald spots on them. I'm not sure if this was caused by self-mutilation, aggresion, or disease. Granted there were lots of birds in there but it takes weeks and years for that kind of build up. Bugs? OMG every kind
We went into two separate rooms within the retail store and it was deplorable. Basically the same as the outside aviaries. Filthy cages.
We asked about boarding. One employee said we were not allowed to go upstairs (where they board the birds) but we found an employee who let us go upstairs where we were able to look through a window. Small and large cages sitting on top of inches of bird feces and seed. (the smaller cages are furnished by the bird owners, the larger cages belong to the facility). Here again, I got itchy just looking at all of the waste and flying insects in that room. By the way, they require no paperwork of any kind. Just bring your bird in between the posted hours. Extremely unhealthy practice.
We asked about conures and cage sizes (we have a green cheek). Several different employees gave us conflicting information as well as misinformation concerning cage size, bar spacing and diet.
Without getting into too much detail, here is an example:
Some of the cages had plastic bottoms which were cracked from the center all the way to the corners of the cage.
Some of the cages for sale did not have grates at the bottom. I asked: "Won't the birds dropping fall to the bottom and get mixed with it's food? And, won't the bird walk and drag it's tail through the waste?" We were told: "It is better without a grate, then the bird can go down and get something if it drops it. Besides, if we get an earthquake, the bird can fall and get caught in the grate and break it's legs" (huh? waiting for the big 10.0? NONSENSE!)
(we recently saw some of the exact cages in another store near home and they had grates in them, which led me to wonder why they would remove the grates in the first place?)
OK. This was what we learned during our trip to Magnolia Bird Farm, Riverside, CA.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Omar's in both Orange County and San Diego. Bird Haven in San Diego.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Omar's in both Orange County and San Diego. Bird Haven in San Diego.

I agree Omar's are good stores. He has 4... West Los Angeles, South Orange County, North Orange County, San Diego.

I "think" it was Bird Haven where I was treated very rudely and lectured by an employee :eek:! I set a Pionus down on a stand which had a BCC on it. The conure was friendly, no posturing, I set the Pi down at the other end of the stand and this guy nearly bit my head off like I had no idea what I was doing with birds :mad:. At Omar's there are ALWAYS multiple birds on each stand. If it was a real 'problem' there should have been a sign! Ughh.

Anyway, I do like to drive down to San Diego every year... So many bird stores down there as compared to Orange County. Also much better prices.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Bird Haven is in both Escondido and San Diego. Bird Crazy went out of business and a Birdmart opened there, but it's crap.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Bird Haven is in both Escondido and San Diego. Bird Crazy went out of business and a Birdmart opened there, but it's crap.

The one I'm talking about is the same owner as Our Feathered Friends. That seems like a better store.

I know I miss Bird Crazy. They always had such a wide selection, and the exotic softbills too wow, it was like going to the zoo. They even had some African crane in there once.
I've never been to Birdsmart... So that's where it is. If it's crap I won't bother then lol. Good Mexican food next door... :32:

ACE209

Jul 28, 2014
Ceres, CA
Parrots
Sherlock - Blue crowned conure 10yr,
Sunny - yellow sided GCC 3yr,
Echo - yellow sided GCC 2yr,
Kiwi - Blue fronted amazon 15yr
RIP Nate - the best cockatiel
Well there goes my plans for a trip to magnolia bird farms lol. Great input I'm headed south for the winter to visit family. Sherlock and echo are coming too, we will be there for a couple months. I'm extremely excited so visit some of the larger facilities and meet some parronts. Right now in my area I have to head to the bay or sacramento to shop for bird stuff.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Interesting assessments of MGF! I'm not here to promote nor vilify, and they are certainly "old school." Never bought a bird there but find the bird seed and pellets to be fresh and varied. MGF and Bird Haven comprise the bulk of my shop experience but will try Omar's. I do agree the "chain" stores offer a bright and modern shopping experience but am not convinced the habitat is any kinder to the birds awaiting their new homes. They certainly lack the breadth of toy and food selection.

OP
Y

yann

Oct 19, 2013
thank you for the suggestions!! i would be in the southern part, long beach area:) sounds like magnolia farms are a no go but i'll try the rest if they happen to be nearby…but like what Copperarabian has suggested, i think i'll go for mysafebirdstore and have the items delivered to the dorms!!

Most Reactions