Anyone out there have a small bird try to dominate a large bird?

mnkeastman

Jan 6, 2012
Parrots
Pixie-White Capped Pionus
lol just found this thread today and read it, wondering what I have gotten myself into with the whole little Pi thing, I guess it is a good thing I have no other birds yet :p

OP
KBEquine

KBEquine

May 19, 2011
South-central PA
Parrots
From little to big - currently 6 Linnies; 2 Budgies; 1 BHP; 2 CAGs; 2 Zons; 1 GWM. Formerly in the flock: 1 LSC2 [fostered/rehomed] RIP: 1 budgie 1 WCP & 1 sweet Pan Am
Well, you've probably gotten yourself into a BIG personality. Beaker was my first big parrot (non 'keet) & was 8 when I got him. He was a failed breeder - just didn't bond with any other birds - and apparently, the person who sold him as a failed breeder described his personality as 'grumpy.'

He went to his now-prior owner as a companion parrot & did well with her & her young son - but not well with her husband.

If you read that Pionus are generally easy 1st parrots & good family pets, but some become determindedly one-person birds, Beaker is the "but some."

Hopefully you've gotten the 'generally easy 1st parrots & good family pets' Pi.

But in any case, even though Beaker creates his own bird ownership issues with the flock, I wouldn't trade him for anything. He follows me through the house, sleeps on my shoulder or wrist, talks in my ear, chases the other birds away from me (tries to chase my husband & friends, too), & is surprisingly charming when he chooses to make friend with some (few) visitors.

You won't regret a Pi (even if you find you need to manage him).

mnkeastman

Jan 6, 2012
Parrots
Pixie-White Capped Pionus
Well, you've probably gotten yourself into a BIG personality. Beaker was my first big parrot (non 'keet) & was 8 when I got him. He was a failed breeder - just didn't bond with any other birds - and apparently, the person who sold him as a failed breeder described his personality as 'grumpy.'

He went to his now-prior owner as a companion parrot & did well with her & her young son - but not well with her husband.

If you read that Pionus are generally easy 1st parrots & good family pets, but some become determindedly one-person birds, Beaker is the "but some."

Hopefully you've gotten the 'generally easy 1st parrots & good family pets' Pi.

But in any case, even though Beaker creates his own bird ownership issues with the flock, I wouldn't trade him for anything. He follows me through the house, sleeps on my shoulder or wrist, talks in my ear, chases the other birds away from me (tries to chase my husband & friends, too), & is surprisingly charming when he chooses to make friend with some (few) visitors.

You won't regret a Pi (even if you find you need to manage him).

He sounds great :) just makes me chuckle some to myself when I can read tales of mischief and stuff. I appreciate your honesty about Beaker :). Almost everything I have read (which is about 3 books including Parrots for Dummies and 2 Pionus books) and all the information I can find online talks about their wonderful calm, 1st parrot friendly personalities but also I have read that WC pionus tend to be the more feisty of the pionus family so sounds like your sweet Beaker lives up to that and more.

I really appreciate reading about real birds that people own on the forums because I feel like I learn so much more than the books can say from you all.

Most Reactions