Anyone use invisible fencing for dogs??

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
So we may be moving in the next 2 months to a little place in the country... (send good thoughts our way. Waiting to hear from the landlord.) I am very familiar with the area and the neighbors. (A friend of ours lives there now and will be moving.) The neighbors across the road have some pretty loud dogs that sometimes make it onto the road. I don't doubt for a moment that my two would want to venture over and say hello. So I thought about invisible fencing... Anyone have luck with it?

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
I've heard mixed reviews about i fence. Some dogs are smart enough to know it only hurts a second. It also wouldn't keep the neighbor dogs out of your yard.

I have pet quality electric fence around our privacy fence to discourage digging. It keeps the deer out too. Very cheap, & a woman friendly way to build fence. Its a problem w/small children & you do have to keep grass/weeds trimmed around the fence.

Maybe you can build a big aviary for the fids. Congrats.

ebohacek

Aug 26, 2011
I do, it work for all 3 dogs. It is good stuff.The important part is not to let the dog know he can pass it. They train your dog.

OP
Abzeez

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
I am thinking about getting some kind of it. I see a do it yourself kit at Petco, may go with that one.

I am not to worried about the dogs across the street. I am friends with the owners and everyone gets along. I am just worried my dogs will make a mad dash to say hi and get hit by a car. The other dogs are smart enough to stay away from cars. :)

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Yes I use one. It works perfect and my dog learned in 1 day. He is a mini Aussie. I bought the wireless one so no digging required! It was so easy to install, I thought it would never work! But my friend has one for her schnauzer so I bought the same one. I figured that if it didn't work I would return it and get the wire one installed by professionals (which cost quite a bit). I LOVE it!!!! It works sooooo well! You have different shock strengh...I am at 3 with my 40lb dog, goes up to 6 I think.

Here is the one I have : Wireless Containment System

ebohacek

Aug 26, 2011
I have the invisible fence brand, They all work the same as long as you remember to change the batteries. That is very important. I trust the fence 100% but it will not keep any other dog from coming into my property.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
I have the invisible fence brand, They all work the same as long as you remember to change the batteries. That is very important. I trust the fence 100% but it will not keep any other dog from coming into my property.

When the batteries for the collard is low, a light on it will blink until you change the batteries.

Munkys

Jul 1, 2011
CT
Parrots
Meiko, 9-year old Moustache
Its good if your dog is used to it, but when you first install it and you have a high energy/high prey-drive dog they can easily run through it without thinking twice if something sparks their fancy. For instance, I wouldn't trust it with a Border Collie or my parent's Akita, but the average dog I would. You have to judge your dog's temperament. If they naturally dart after things, I wouldn't trust it entirely until they get used to it. Maybe install a run in the meantime? But it also depends on the dog's intensity. If its a playful chase, they should be fine.. If its a prey chase, that's a whole other story...

Most Reactions