Anyone use Top Organic Pellets?

4theBirds

May 28, 2012
Montana
Parrots
4 Budgies, 4 Finches, Bindi (CAG), & Babu (TAG), AND 12 Dachshunds
We've used LaFebere's for our pet birds for years. Saying that, I will also add that these pellets constitute only a portion of our bird's diet. The pelleted food is great, especailly if someone has to bird sit.

On the other hand, understanding that the diet needs to be varied, including fresh vegetables, fruits and protein sources. Our CAG, Paddy, enjoyed a wide variety of foods, although Salmon, Cheddar Cheese, Shrimp, Chicken, Broccoli, and Corn on the Cobb were his favorites. (We had to be careful with the cheese (not processed)).

Regarding "Natural" vs "Synthetic" vitamins, chemically the actual vitamin compound is no different. However, one needs to understand that "bioavailability" and absorbtion differs from one product to another, not specifically with the way the vitamin was manufactured. We did an experiment in college in Quantitative Analysis where one part of the class took an equivalent amount of Riboflavin synthetically produced vs. a "Natural" Riboflavin supplement. Out of 50 students, there was no statistical difference between the synthetics vs. naturals.

Regarding Harrison's -- yes, it's generally very accepted by our birds -- it's mainly sunflower seed/sunflower seed meal. Birds love Sunflower...Humans love MacDonalds...Does that mean it's Healthy -- Think about it.

god61021

Aug 8, 2011
illinois
Parrots
red rumped parakeet
After researching my options it would seem the only pellets available in my area are zupreem and kaytee.my red rumped parakeet is currently eating a zupreem(colored) mixed in with her seed. the same diet she was on at the petstore.Im not sure why the harrisons or tops doesnt sell them online?

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Just a update,

Rosie is really enjoying tops pellets. I've noticed that her feather dust has improved a lot, this makes me assume her calcium levels are getting better.

Parrotmamma

May 2, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Crackers ~ a Green cheek conure , Cosmo~ a Timneh African Grey
My GCC loves TOPS pellets.... I also tried them on my TAG the other day and he likes them too : )

bertakae

Aug 24, 2011
FYI, Feed Your Flock IS TOPS, just packaged under a private label with the price doubled.

"Birdtricks did not invent this recipe, nor do they manufacture the pellets. In their search to find the very best pellet for their own birds, they came across this product, which is as good as it gets. They offer it to you through their own private label called Feed Your Flock. It’s the pellet we choose to feed our own birds."

See their website Feed Your Flock Pellets ? The Best Out There

FayeC

Jun 21, 2016
I have used these pellets for about four years with good results for my Eclectus and Greys.

These are the best pellet to feed Eclectus Parrots since these birds should not be fed foods with added vitamins, enriched or fortified in any way. They still need to other fresh foods like sprouts, veggies, nuts and a little fresh fruit a few days a week. 50% pellets, 50% fresh foods. Check out Oliver's Eclectus Page on FB for more details.

Another great food for all species, including Eclectus Parrots, is Phoenix Foraging Rolls. UnPellet and Green Chunks

TOP's are not a complete diet pellet for other birds like Greys. They need more in the way of vitamins and calcium.
My Greys get two parts Harrison's or Roudybush and one part TOP with other healthy foods.

TOP pellets are not a complete diet pellet for any bird, which they state on the bag.

FayeC

Jun 21, 2016
Someone mentioned Top organic pellets on the forum and I've been looking around at them online, I'm a little worried over how affordable they are. Kinda sad, all the organic pellets are pretty pricey and seeing one that isn't throws me off a little lol. All the main ingredients are the same as feed your flock, but sooooooo much less expensive. And it looks very similar to feed your flock as well which seems like a good sign.

Anyone have experience with them?

Yes, for years. Perfect for Eclectus parrots, but lack vitamin d3, which ALL birds really need. Add 1 teaspoon of Roudybush to the mix daily.

As for the other species, this food doesn't have what they need. It's healthy ingredients, but lacking critical vitamins and minerals. A teaspoon a day added to other pellets would be good.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
My 2 cents on pellets. :)
I feed Harrison's, supplemented by fresh healthy treats. My first, and later, my current avian vet recommended it. 30-ish years ago, Harrison's was still a small company. My vet was actually able to talk to Dr. Harrison about my bird's species and status, and they decided on the High Potency. My bird loves the pellets now, but to get him converted, my avian vet suggested putting pellets out all day, and putting seeds (his old diet) out for two 15-minute periods a day. That would sustain him but leave him hungry enough to try new stuff. I presume the same technique could be used to get him to eat other healthy stuff. My guy was eating pellets in a couple of days, and now I can feed a good variety of other stuff, knowing he has the pellets as a basic. Pellets are out all day... fresh treats a few times a day.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
My 2 cents on pellets. :)
I feed Harrison's, supplemented by fresh healthy treats. My first, and later, my current avian vet recommended it. 30-ish years ago, Harrison's was still a small company. My vet was actually able to talk to Dr. Harrison about my bird's species and status, and they decided on the High Potency. My bird loves the pellets now, but to get him converted, my avian vet suggested putting pellets out all day, and putting seeds (his old diet) out for two 15-minute periods a day. That would sustain him but leave him hungry enough to try new stuff. I presume the same technique could be used to get him to eat other healthy stuff. My guy was eating pellets in a couple of days, and now I can feed a good variety of other stuff, knowing he has the pellets as a basic. Pellets are out all day... fresh treats a few times a day.

I think that would be every AV recommends them. I wonder why? :rolleyes:

Most Reactions