Apartments and birds

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Pixel: female senegal, hatched Dec 15, 2011
So I know the topic has come up many times. But, I'm not so much concerned about having a bird in an apartment (I currently rent in a duplex built in the 40's, so crap insulation) and have never had an issue.

I'm more curious how you guys approach the topic with potential landlords that you have a bird? If you're mostly turned down or if it's not an issue? My current landlord is pretty slack and honestly wouldn't know one parrot from another if one came up and bit him in the face; I just said I had "a small caged bird 9" from head to tail" and it was no problem. But I feel apartment owners are likely less lenient.

So what are your guys experiences? Any recommendations?

legal_eagle

Banned
Banned
Feb 28, 2013
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure Pee-Wee
I've said what you say several times and it works unless the building has a firm no pets-at-all policy.

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
In my experience people are pretty ignorant on birds. If an apt allows dogs, when I tell them I have a bird they get a look of relief and waive my pet deposit, not realizing birds can be way more destructive and loud.

Megapixel

Banned
Banned
Nov 17, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Senegal, Senegal, Black Capped Conure, Green-cheek Conure, Blue Fronted Amazon
In my experience people are pretty ignorant on birds.

Yes, this.
In fact, it's that very ignorance that lead to my first bird. I was looking at an apt in the basement of the owners home and I asked about pets because I wanted a dog or maybe a cat. Shes said no pets at all, and then she said, well, I guess a bird would be ok.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Before I chose the apartment where I live now, I looked at several places. Most had no problem with accepting birds (I had George the YCA at that time), even some that wouldn't take dogs or cats. The manager at one complex said she needed to think about it; three weeks later-- after I already rented the apartment where I now live-- she called to say that they'd allow George to live there. The rental agent at one complex that allows dogs and cats told me they hated birds and I'd have to get rid of George before I could move in. :mad: I told her that it was strange that they didn't allow birds 'cause the buildings looked a lot like broken-down chicken coops. She didn't like that much. :D The complex where I live is truly pet-friendly. I've been here 10 years and have never had any issues or complaints because of either parrot. :)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
We are looking at purchasing an apartment in a wonderful duplex.
Strictly no pets...
BUT when I mentioned Mishka my AG to the owner he replied a bird is a like family member and not a pet
I was absolutely surprised

OP
HalfInsane

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Pixel: female senegal, hatched Dec 15, 2011
Glad to hear you have all (mostly) had no issues finding apartments to rent with parrots. I'll admit the phrase "small caged bird" is perhaps a leading statement... but at the same time I feel "parrot" conjures up images of an amazon or macaw in people's minds.

Cnyguy, that chicken coop comment is hilarious! I don't know if I would have said that in that situation but I'd have been tempted.

Antoinette, how lucky for you to find a place to live where the owner feels that way :)

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
In my experience people are pretty ignorant on birds. If an apt allows dogs, when I tell them I have a bird they get a look of relief and waive my pet deposit, not realizing birds can be way more destructive and loud.

Funny, how you mentioned that. In the past I talked to landlords about allowing me to have a bird. One said we once allowed one person to have a bird thinking it would be no problem but it was so messy. Another landlord would allow me too while stating dogs are destructive. Some places are getting stricter and not even allowing aquariums (after experiencing animals that are not cats and dogs.)

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Cnyguy, that chicken coop comment is hilarious! I don't know if I would have said that in that situation but I'd have been tempted.

If anybody tells me they hate birds, I'm sure going to say something to them, and it's not going to be something flattering. :4_wink:

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Actually, it's probably better insulated than the newer houses especially if it has plaster and lathe walls instead of drywall.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
We are looking at purchasing an apartment in a wonderful duplex.
Strictly no pets...
BUT when I mentioned Mishka my AG to the owner he replied a bird is a like family member and not a pet
I was absolutely surprised

Ant, make sure and have this put in writing because you will be surprised at how selective a landlords memory will be when a tenant complains especially if a lease is involved which states " NO PETS"!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I lived in an apartment with two amazons, three conures, and a macaw.

Didn't have any issues.

Of course, I only had two birds when I moved in, and I sorta forgot - oooops! - to tell them about the second amazon, the other two conures, or the macaw.

It wasn't an issue, but they certainly could have evicted me over it.

No problems, no eviction notice.

They liked getting their rent checks on time.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Glad to hear you have all (mostly) had no issues finding apartments to rent with parrots. I'll admit the phrase "small caged bird" is perhaps a leading statement... but at the same time I feel "parrot" conjures up images of an amazon or macaw in people's minds.

Antoinette, how lucky for you to find a place to live where the owner feels that way :)

Here in SA birds are generally not a problem, unless of course they are extremely vocal.
:grey:

alisjasp

Dec 18, 2013
I dont get the reason why some people dont allow birds in appartment not like they will harm you or anything

Megapixel

Banned
Banned
Nov 17, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Senegal, Senegal, Black Capped Conure, Green-cheek Conure, Blue Fronted Amazon
I dont get the reason why some people dont allow birds in appartment not like they will harm you or anything

It is not at all an issue of personal safety. The primary reasons that some don't allow birds/parrots are the same reasons that dogs are not allowed.
1.They can be loud and disturb the neighbors who have the right to the quiet enjoyment of their home
2. They can be destructive to woodwork and walls.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Another thing to say is that u have a small 6 oz (168 gm) bird (or whatever weight he is). I said that to a couple of real estate agents regarding townhouse communities with no pet rules..... They said that's no problem and they both kinda chuckled at 6 oz .

BUT... If someone know their fids r very noisy.... Then they should be ready for complaints even of the lease or owners association approved upfront. There r things to do to help dampen the noise though... Tapestries or decorative blankets on adjoining wall, rug or mats on floor... Ceiling.... Dunno.

BeachFind

Nov 26, 2013
Clearwater Beach FL
Parrots
Sun Conure
We live in a condo, and have had no complaints so far. Its been exactly a month since our little sun conure flew onto the balcony. Somewhat hard to describe, but you can hear him squawking on our entire floor. None of the neighbors hear him inside their condos, and most come by to see what is making all the noise. Hopefully you live in a concrete community :) or at least have tolerant neighbors!

Zumaria

Sep 30, 2013
Chicago, IL
Parrots
Congo African Grey: Jenga
My landlord had no problems, granted she loves dogs so I assume that extends to other animals. But even my old complex had a no pet policy but a "small caged bird" didn't seem to count....they may have thought I had a finch....

Most Reactions

Latest posts