Appearing "dead"

KJS

Jul 5, 2008
Las Vegas
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure named Kiwi
My GCC, Kiwi, has never done this when I've been home, but on two separate occasions had my daughter (in tears) and my husband upset.....both called me at work!! Kiwi likes to go to the bottom of her cage and tear up the paper towels, and sometimes just hides....this is what I see. My daughter called me hysterical one day because she thought Kiwi was under her towels dead....my husband went through the same situation yesterday. They both claimed that they don't know where she is.......call her name, bang on the bars, shake the cage a little, pull the paper towels, open the door......nothing.......she appears "dead"!! She then rouses and is perfectly fine. It, according to my daughter who has now experienced this a few times and stopped freaking out, seems that she is in an extremely deep sleep!!??!! What is this behavior....has anyone had this happen??

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
LOL! She is in deep sleep! Alot of conures really love to be under something and some even sleep on thier backs! I would rouse her by whistling. Do not bang on her cage or shake it. This can cause a heartattack or make them fearful and cage aggressive. As long as your bird is eating normally and poops are normal, I wouldn't woory. But if she fluffs or appears weak take her in for a vet check.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Have you had her to an avain vet for an examinatio? It should be done on an anual basis if there are no medical issues.

OP
K

KJS

Jul 5, 2008
Las Vegas
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure named Kiwi
Thank you......she is absolutely perfect when I'm here.......eats, poops, plays, talks, etc. She scared the "you know what" out of my husband when she "popped" out like nothing happened and he feared the worst!!!

babybirdkisses

Banned
Banned
Jun 24, 2010
Florida
Parrots
Green Wing Macaw
Nanday Conure
2 Sunday Conures
Peach Front Conure
Parrotlett
Budgie
I have 4 conures and one Sunday named Cheeko loves to sleep on his side while pull his tail (lightly of course) and have his little feet rubbed.

He was hand fed by myself as a baby and would lay on my pillow and nap with me. I fell asleep and forgot he was with me. When I woke up he appeared lifeless, I picked him up and he was limp with his head dangling. Yes even his tongue hung out and there was a tiny drool mark on my pillow. Must have been water he drank earlier. Which really worried me because we all know birds don't normally drool. This really scared me, I thought I rolled my head on him. I shook him and he woke up, looked at me and he laid his head under his wing and fell asleep again. That was two years ago and he is still with me today.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
It may very well just be a cute conure story - they do do crazy things.

But I'd recommend speaking with an avian vet - hopefully not to worry you, but there are forms of seizures that could look like 'sleeping'. Such things are easily dealt with if caught early.

It's more likely just a cute idiosyncrasy than a medical concern, but better safe than sorry.

Most Reactions