Appropriate age to train

lorika

Jun 28, 2015
The Netherlands
Parrots
Loki, a strong-willed but adorable Rainbow Lorikeet
Hi everyone,

What's a good age to start training a lorikeet? Mine is about 8.5 weeks, which is probably too young, though I try to teach him 'if you bite the fingers too hard, you can't play with them' =P hasn't worked very well so far, haha.

I especially want to potty train him but I have no idea what a good age is. Can birds learn new things all their life, or is there a specific age window for training?
Thanks a lot!!
Stella

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
No window of age..old or young can learn new things. I have rescued a 1 1\2year old severe macaw who was never handled or had toys. That was may 16 this year. Today she plays and talks and steps up and can wear a harness. she knows when its time for bed as well. Before her i had a 21year old amazon who was badly abused..after a few months..he was all mine..talked and was super loving..dont underestimate a bird..they are very smart.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
The sooner the better, with basically everything except potty training, lol. You can begin teaching him to poop on command just don't expect him to hold it yet. Also, remember never to punish your bird for pooping at the wrong time no matter what.

Most Reactions

Latest posts