are blue and white parakeets common?

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots
JJ-sun conure hatched roughly 1/16/2012

Cinderella-white and blue female budgie hatched 4/08/12

Rigby-white and blue male budgie hatched 5/05/2012
My daughter wants a blue or blue and white parakeet. Is this a common color, we are going to see some babies on Wednesday I usually see lots of greens and yellows not many blues.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
That kind of depends, all of my current breeders are blue and white so they are very common in our house! Still waiting for our yellow and green budgies to be old enough to be able to breed :) I'm sure you will find one though, green and blues are the most common, where it gets a bit more tricky is when you are looking for the violets, greys and albinos :) Either way I'm sure she will find one she just has to have!

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
If you go to a pet store you will find that blues are just as common as greens.
Icywolf, my sister actually has a single factor violet budgie she got from petsmart. I know, bad bad bad, I tried to convince her to go to a breeder or to adopt but she wouldn't listen.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
If you go to a pet store you will find that blues are just as common as greens.
Icywolf, my sister actually has a single factor violet budgie she got from petsmart. I know, bad bad bad, I tried to convince her to go to a breeder or to adopt but she wouldn't listen.

If I saw a violet in a pet store I would probably buy it too, just sayin'. Lol, no, but seriously I've never even seen one in person so I could see why she wanted to snatch him up. ;)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
All the colors are pretty common now days, seen them all in the pet shops....Yes I visit pet shops everytime I go to my doctor's office since they're right above the pet shop....What a bad combo I'll tell ya....lol....

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
The thing with this forum is that we don't really have a 'species' for parakeets... If they have a long tail, they are parakeets, which includes cockatiels, ringnecks and alexandrines... So... we'd probably need more information about your bird...

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Budgie's are normally refered to as parakeets the most I've found, so I'm gonna guess that's what she means since she also mentioned budgie's in another forum post(?)

Blue's are just as common as greens I've found and pet stores usually have lots of mutations too, like blues with a yellow head, etc. 'Rainbows', there's lots. I'm sure your children will find one they love :)

OP
jewels04

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots

Yes a budgie is what I am talking about. The one petstore we went to has 12 week old untamed budgies blue and white I went to see them today and there is another store who has handraised babies which is a haul for us but they only have blue and grey budgies. Not sure what those would look like. We're driving up to see those tonight and we have another 3 weeks until their ready to come home. I just think a handraised baby would be the best option for my daughter. I don't see my 8 year old having patience enough to sit through the bonding process of an untamed budgie.

vicky2200

Mar 24, 2012
Michigan
Parrots
Cockatiels and Parakeets
Definitely go with hand raised for an 8 year old. Blue and white is very common. I had 3 of them.

The other day, at the pet store, there were THREE violet budgies. I always wanted one. And of course, when I decided I wasn't getting any more budgies (at least for the time being), I started seeing them all the time!

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
I agree with vicky, for the sake of your daughter and the bird, go with a hand raised budgie since that is an option. The 12 week old would definitely be tamable but I don't see an 8 year old having the patience to do it, and honestly, in my experience the parent raised birds just never become as tame as the hand feds.

OP
jewels04

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots

We went and put the deposit down on the budgie. Not sure what color he/she is. She is kinda white with some purple or blue and some grey or brownish stripes on her wings. I think it's a girl baby but we'll see. I have some pictures, after I get some sleep i'll post them.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Budgie's are normally refered to as parakeets the most I've found, so I'm gonna guess that's what she means since she also mentioned budgie's in another forum post(?)

I know... That's why I wanted this forum split up, since it says: Budgies, Parakeets and Cockatiels...

It sounds like budgies aren't parakeets, and it sounds like cocktiels are... But, hey... what would I know...

Most Reactions