Are humidifier cleaning cartridges safe?

gibson2503

Jul 11, 2013
Media
Indiana
Parrots
Apollo (8 years old Sunday conure), and Ari (7 years old jenday conure) and Cosmo 9 years old goffins cockatoo). All DNA tested females.
We are getting a humidifier soon. The air in our house is dry in the winter. I was thinking of using those cleaning cartridges to prevent mold in the humidifier. Are they safe to use around my birds?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
What is the brand and name? Most cleaners aren't--especially if residue remains in the unit to be sent into the air later. I am not familiar with these though.
I clean mine with f10 SC (which, under appropriate supervision, can be used as a breathing treatment for birds with respiratory problems). I still rinse thoroughly etc, but I am skeptical of any chemical, as the residue can go into the air. DO make sure you use distilled water, or at the very least, allow your water to sit out so that minerals and chlorine settle and dissipate (respectively). You don't want micro minerals in the air...I use distilled water on my filterless humidifier.

OP
gibson2503

gibson2503

Jul 11, 2013
Media
Indiana
Parrots
Apollo (8 years old Sunday conure), and Ari (7 years old jenday conure) and Cosmo 9 years old goffins cockatoo). All DNA tested females.
The brand is Protec. It says the active ingredient is silver.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
It probably contains colloidal silver---don't know if that is safe for them to inhale, but I am inclined to say no. Try Google and see what you get. Topically (on a cut etc), it would likely be safe, as long as it was used sparingly (it is anti-microbial and it is common in pet medicines for the skin and it is even found in some human lotions/wound cleaners etc), but silver builds up in people's systems when ingested, and given a bird's respiratory sensitivities (in conjunction with their sensitivity towards heavy metals in general) I would be very uncomfortable with the idea...Especially since it doesn't flush out over time (silver, that is)- even in humans. When consumed in excess, people can turn permanently blue from drinking water/colloidal silver lol/eek? There is even a theory that wealthy people of the past were called "blue-bloods" because of their access to silver and medications containing silver, which actually caused them to have blue-tinted skin (see: Argyria)! The thing is, a candle won't kill us, but it can seriously harm a bird (scents, smoke, wick coatings, wax etc). Also-- much of the mined silver that we use it collected from places that also mine/contain known toxic metals (zinc, lead etc).

Last edited:

WakaWaka

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Baltimore Maryland
Parrots
Arika - Blue & Gold Macaw
Is this an ultrasonic type of humidifier?
We just clean ours with vinegar and a small clean paint brush with the bristles trimmed a little shorter for better scrubbing action.
Rinse thoroughly with hot water multiple times, then fill with clean de-ionized water.

I wouldn't suggest running the humidifier with a cleaner in it at all. It could be harmful to your fids and yourself.

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
In general I try to avoid all ultrasonic type of humidifier? They put everything back into the air, yes some have filters to help, I just don't trust them and easy to over humidify in one area and not good in large areas as you barely get over 5% TO 10% above current humidity as only good at the one area and end up with wet spots, not worth the headache. Best to use a wick based one as they allow the moisture to naturally evaporate into the air less likely to over humidify and can cover large areas. The one I use is a Aircare H12-400HB console based humidifier and does large space with zero issues as have humidistat in each room and pretty even across the rooms and only one that I tried out of over different humidifier I tried that actually bring the Humidity level 30% more when needed as other barely did over 10%. Matter fact doing a video dedicated to humidifiers as tried way to many to get one that works well enough. I just use vinegar and distilled water to clean the wick every so often and get about 2 to 3 months out of them.

https://www.amazon.com/H12-400HB-Wh...ocphy=9016195&hvtargid=pla-272791827106&psc=1

G1aTWJS.jpg

bWG1Kxv.jpg

jwy7ySk.jpg

Last edited:

Most Reactions