Are macaws too loud?

G3ck0

Dec 23, 2014
Australia
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
We live in a normal neighbourhood, house isn't huge, around 600 metres square I think. I still live at home, so my Mum kind of has a say in big things like this. She says that a Macaw is too loud to have in a house like ours, and that you'd need a huge backyard with neighbours pretty far away to have one. Is this true? Thanks.

OP
G

G3ck0

Dec 23, 2014
Australia
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
If they're that loud, how do most people deal with the noise? Living on large properties so there are no neighbours nearby?

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
If they're that loud, how do most people deal with the noise?

I wouldn't know... I have "quiet" species ;).
Seriously though, many people do tolerate this level of noise in a "normal" suburban home, but it is definitely not for everyone, and ALL people in the household have to be able to live with it. I'm sure some macaw people will see this and can answer your macaw questions. I feel that if you are asking, then yes it is too loud for your situation.

There are mini macaws too... But keep in mind, not only is there the noise factor, but unless you're more experienced with parrots it will be a steep learning curve with the macaw personality. Even with a mini.

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
Most macaws won't call for most of the day - early morning and just before dark are their favourite times to vocalise, as well as food time! The structure of your house can also affect things, wooden floors will echo more than carpet, etc.

Honestly, I've never found the call too annoying, but it's up to your family and neighbours to decide!

Why do you want a macaw anyway? There are tons of wonderful parrot species that are much quieter, although every parrot makes sound sometimes.

OP
G

G3ck0

Dec 23, 2014
Australia
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
It's not so much that the noise will annoy me or my mum (the only two people living here), but the neighbours. I'm worried that it will be so loud that the neighbours will start to complain. Has anyone experienced this? Or do they not make too much noise once they adjust to the general noise of your household? There's a lot of trees around our place so a lot of birds anyway, some quite loud. Plus a main road so there's a lot of traffic, so it's not like we live somewhere that is dead quiet usually.

And I've wanted a Macaw for a couple of years at least now, though where I live they are $4500USD. I've had other birds (Sun Conure's and Ring Neck's mainly, along with smaller Budgie's and Love Birds). Saw a Macaw in person for the first time yesterday and I just fell in love with him, and now I want one more than I have ever before.

Last edited:

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots
Budgerigar: Arrow, Esther, Kratos, Cora, Ducky.

Lovebird: Izzy, Gizmo.
I think the first step should be going around to your neighbors and talk about your hopes for a macaw then bring up the noise factor and see if they are okay with it. There are cases where people are evicted from their houses because of noise complaints.

I'm sure you can help control the level of noise between the morning and evening flock calls but your'e pretty stuck on that. Macaws are flock birds and from natural instinct, they'll be calling out to their flock to make sure they're nearby. I heard one trick was to respond back so they know you're there and would quiet down a bit better.

I'm prone to seeing parrots and instantly wanting that species (right now it's a Jenday) but I think that you would have to put more thought when choosing a Macaw compared to other species. Not only are they noisy, they're also very destructive and one of the more "needy" types of parrots. So it shouldn't be such an "impulse" buy until you know you're ready to bring one home.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
My previous neighbors didn't even know we have macaws until I told him. New windows really helps!!! My macaws don't even start screaming until around 9 or 10am. They'll scream if the back door is open, I don't know why.....But they talk more then they scream most of the time.

mollybird

Oct 10, 2012
Parrots
Molly - 40-something year old wild caught Greenwing Macaw (RIP);
Buford - 8 year old Blue & Gold;
Kazoo - 15 year old Citron Cockatoo
Like people, they are all different. Buford, our B&G is very quiet. He may make a squawk in the morning during his stretching routine. Kazoo, our Citron, goes almost non-stop - barking, kazooing, squawking, saying her various phrases including yelling her favorite "I DID NOT!". Even so, I have neighbors who yell at their kids/dogs and play their music louder than my birds.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Most macaws are not screamers. They vocalize a couple of times a day, and the rest of the time they're fairly quiet...

Screamers tend to be trained that way. (Not intentionally, but it's easy to accidentally train a bird to scream.)

I had my red front in an apartment setting...

So, I call BS on this one.

Emilymaggie

Dec 22, 2014
Connecticut
Parrots
African grey, Hahn's macaw, Parrotlets, Ring-necked doves
If they're that loud, how do most people deal with the noise?

There are mini macaws too... But keep in mind, not only is there the noise factor, but unless you're more experienced with parrots it will be a steep learning curve with the macaw personality. Even with a mini.

I have a mini, and let me tell you- their lungs are anything BUT mini! Then again, he was a rescue and came from an animal hoarding situation. I live in a neighborhood where all of the houses are pretty close together, and I have not heard a noise complaint yet- that said, I also have a house full of college boys living next door. So pretty much like everyone is saying, it depends on the individual bird and the situation.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
I also own a mini. The trick is to find out what's setting them off. If Hahnzel screams it's usually due to something, not just to hear herself scream. Too much noise, a new person and the dogs are barking too. And me being out of sight. Sometimes images on the TV will get her going too.
Once I locate the source, I will attempt to work her through it, or remove her from it.

Most Reactions