are severe macaw really that bad?

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
One of my severe's is nippy and the other one is mouthy and by that I mean she likes to mouth me like a big macaw does. I can't honestly answer your question about over bonding because I'm the only one around for her to bond with...other than the other severe macaw.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
ANY macaw, ANY amazon, ANY pair bond bird CAN develop these tendencies if not properly socialized.

Here's the thing. It's not that Severe's are bad birds, it's that they tend (like the amazon crush thing) to crush hard on one person... they tend to be very devoted birds.

PROBLEM IS people don't socialize them enough.

It's the same sort of problem you get when an amazon is cage bound. They become territorial, and bitey.

If these birds are not socialized enough, they only get handled by one person, and then that's it... Not you. Him.

IF THEY LEARN FROM A YOUNG AGE THAT IT'S NOT ACCEPTABLE TO PICK AND CHOOSE - WITH THEIR BEAK - WHO THEY WILL AT LEAST BE POLITE TOO - THEN IT DOESN'T HAPPEN!!!

IT'S A TENDENCY. BUT IT'S ALSO A TRAIN THE HUMANS PROBLEM.

With Macaws and amazons the mantra is always:

Socialize, socialize, and socialize... With a severe - you add these !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THERE'S NO "WHISPERING" INVOLVED FOLKS. BIRDS THAT ARE USED TO BEING HANDLED BY PEOPLE, GO TO PEOPLE. BIRDS THAT ARE USED TO BEING HANDLED BY JUST ONE PERSON, OFTEN BITE THOSE THAT ARE NOT THAT PERSON...

Fact of the matter is, most people don't. Then these birds become problems.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
ANY macaw, ANY amazon, ANY pair bond bird CAN develop these tendencies if not properly socialized.

Here's the thing. It's not that Severe's are bad birds, it's that they tend (like the amazon crush thing) to crush hard on one person... they tend to be very devoted birds.

PROBLEM IS people don't socialize them enough.

It's the same sort of problem you get when an amazon is cage bound. They become territorial, and bitey.

If these birds are not socialized enough, they only get handled by one person, and then that's it... Not you. Him.

IF THEY LEARN FROM A YOUNG AGE THAT IT'S NOT ACCEPTABLE TO PICK AND CHOOSE - WITH THEIR BEAK - WHO THEY WILL AT LEAST BE POLITE TOO - THEN IT DOESN'T HAPPEN!!!

IT'S A TENDENCY. BUT IT'S ALSO A TRAIN THE HUMANS PROBLEM.

With Macaws and amazons the mantra is always:

Socialize, socialize, and socialize... With a severe - you add these !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THERE'S NO "WHISPERING" INVOLVED FOLKS. BIRDS THAT ARE USED TO BEING HANDLED BY PEOPLE, GO TO PEOPLE. BIRDS THAT ARE USED TO BEING HANDLED BY JUST ONE PERSON, OFTEN BITE THOSE THAT ARE NOT THAT PERSON...

Fact of the matter is, most people don't. Then these birds become problems.
Thanks Mark. I know how you really feel about severs and it means a lot to me to see your comments softened about the bird.

I'm sure the reason that I love my severes so much is that the larger macaws are too heavy for me to handle every day. So the severes are my way of still having a macaw.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Well, my experience with macaws was trying to rehab the ones that had been overbonded for years, and cage bound...

MY PERSON ABANDONED ME, AND I'M VERY SCARED AND ANGRY ABOUT IT!!! AND I WASN'T THEIR PERSON! SO WE WILL FIGHT HAVING ANYTHING TO DO WITH YOU... DON'T EVEN COME NEAR ME. DON'T THINK ABOUT IT...

Yeah. Stick your hand in that cage! THIS IS FUN!

And since most people DON'T do the work, it ends up with one person really, really loving these birds, and everyone else in the house ending up being attacked! And it's not the bird's fault! It's lack of training...

AND THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS MORE OFTEN THAN NOT. SO, IT'S JUST NOT A SPECIES I RECOMMEND FOR THAT REASON...

AND I HAVE PLAYED WITH A FEW REALLY GOOD ONES.

AND IT REALLY, REALLY, REALLY COMES DOWN TO SOCIALIZATION.

IF YOU GET ONE, REALIZE GOING INTO IT THEY NEED EXTRA HANDLING TO NOT BECOME BITEY...

That's an OWNERS responsibility, in my book! The owners didn't do it. So I got bit. Lucky me.

Last edited:

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
My severe is socialized as much as I can and she does good. But I have to stand close to her when other people hold her ( over bonded to me) She tries to get close to my fiancé but most times he doesn't want it so she gets mad. And that's when the attitude comes out. When she's mad,or doesn't want to do something, she'll tap you with her beak,sometimes hard and sometimes she'll just say no! Or I'll kick your butt! Sissy is super playful and will come to me when she just needs a cuddle or a kiss( she'll say gimme kiss) and her laugh will brighten a room. It's an up and down journey with any bird,socializing is super important!!!

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
Apologies in advance...

...they sound pretty severe (I can't resist making bad puns)!ᴵ'ᶫᶫ ʲᵘˢᵗ ᵍᵒ ᶰᵒʷ

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Well my standard joke was always: How did the severe macaw get it's name?

Nurse: Doctor, how bad was the wound from that bird bite.
Doctor: It was SEVERE!

Most Reactions

Latest posts