Are these normal macaw feet?

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Gus is the first macaw I've known, so I don't know what's normal for them. He has a hunchback (kyphosis) as a result of poor nutrition when he was young. I am wondering what other parts of his body are affected. I notice that when he sits on any perch, he sits all the way down on the lower leg, back to the joint. Do these pictures look ok for a macaw? We are making different kinds of perches for his comfort and safety, so any information would be helpful for designing them.

Still trying to post an inline photo from the iPad, as there is no right-click....got it, had to change .html to .jpg

kentuckienne-albums-gus-picture17256-foot2.jpgl

kentuckienne-albums-gus-picture17257-foot3.jpg

kentuckienne-albums-gus-picture17255-foot1.jpg

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Well, I'm an Amazon Snob and therefore, when it comes to Feet, I prefer Amazon Feet!

Having said that, your MAC's feet look really good for a MAC. :D

Your MAC is having problems balancing as a result of the problem with his back. I would strongly recommend that you get 'ASAP' much larger diameter perches! Starting in and around 3" (75 mm) in diameter for most perches that he is using to get around the cage. Now for a Roosting perch, I would move up to a 4" (100 mm) in diameter. This will greatly improve his comfort while perching.

With his back deformity, He may always sit low on his legs /feet to help his balance. You are going to have to be very watchful of this legs and feet, since he will be applying pressure to areas that do not commonly carry the load during normal perching. This includes the pads on the bottom of his feet - be very watchful for any signs of redness or swelling. I'm not saying that this will happen, only that he needs to sit differently. There are lots of things that can be done to further help him if you start seeing any problems. So, don't get crazy about this, it is a common problem with older and/or disabled Parrots. Lots of support if or when you need it, Okay. :D

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
What Sailboat said!

Except for the Amazon part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everybody knows Patagonians have the prettiest feets!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I'm sorry, but I feel more comfortable addressing your question regarding Beak and Nail trimming here regarding your MAC, Gus.

Question: How do you correct the overgrown beak/toenail condition? Gus's beak was trimmed when he was rescued, and his nails cut, but they didn't go all out because it had been so long and they didn't want his nails to bleed. Is there some kind of toy that helps keep the beak right? And I can't figure out ant way to wear his nails down - they still need trimming, and now I worry about it.

Beak trimming is commonly done with a small grinder and there are very precise positioning required to assure that beak material does not enter the month of the Parrot. If it does, it can enter either or both the crop or air sacks! It is important to say that this kind of thing happening is very rare and would represent a first timer's error!

I am very happy to hear that your Avian Vet has /is removing the overgrown nails in stages. This is the safest way of removing overgrown nails. Beak trimming should only be done if there is a problem with the beak being 'overgrown,' miss-shaped, and/or damaged .

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I really like the textured perches. Brands... Polly's Sand Walk... Pumice Perch... Trimmer Perch...
Use sparingly at first, but they keep Rbird's nails well-trimmed. Also good for his beak. I see him VIGOROUSLY scraping and sanding and sharpening his beak, and it seems to work.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I noted that your question was address on the other Thread by ANANSI. I would like to add to that post, which read:

If the beak overgrowth is due to diet or lack of any hard surfaces to condition their beaks, the issue can be addressed by improving the diet or adding more toys and objects for the bird to chew. But if the issue is due to a congenital defect, or damage during early development, you might not really have a choice but to file down the beak.

As for wearing the nails down, my trick has been to put a good concrete perch by their food bowls. they dance around on that so much when it's dinner time that they keep their own nails trimmed.

Since you have a larger MAC, everything has to be Larger! In addition, your MAC is disabled and everything has to be looked at from the special needs of your MAC!

I fully agree with Anansi, and my good friend above, regarding the use of concrete /sand perches. But, you must be very careful on the size that your purchase. An undersized concrete perch could easily cut away at his pads and lower legs and not groom his nails. So, as with all things Big MAC, you must look at Large MAC sized concrete perches.

I'm not really big on concrete perches, but that is due to my Amazons being older and just as commonly disabled. So, I am very selective on when and where I use them. When I have a new Amazons join us, I spend at least two months watching this new Parrot's habits and method of getting around the cage prior to using a concrete /sand perch. Placing a concrete perch in an area that the Parrot rarely uses or always uses can create more of a problem than it corrects for a disabled Parrot.

I truly believe that there is a special place for those who rehome, disabled Parrots! Thank-you, for providing a forever home for Gus!!!

Last edited:
OP
Kentuckienne

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Parrots
I noted that your question was address on the other Thread by ANANSI. I would like to add to that post, which read:

If the beak overgrowth is due to diet or lack of any hard surfaces to condition their beaks, the issue can be addressed by improving the diet or adding more toys and objects for the bird to chew. But if the issue is due to a congenital defect, or damage during early development, you might not really have a choice but to file down the beak.

As for wearing the nails down, my trick has been to put a good concrete perch by their food bowls. they dance around on that so much when it's dinner time that they keep their own nails trimmed.

Since you have a larger MAC, everything has to be Larger! In addition, your MAC is disabled and everything has to be looked at from the special needs of your MAC!

I fully agree with Anansi, and my good friend above, regarding the use of concrete /sand perches. But, you must be very careful on the size that your purchase. An undersized concrete perch could easily cut away at his pads and lower legs and not groom his nails. So, as with all things Big MAC, you must look at Large MAC sized concrete perches.

I'm not really big on concrete perches, but that is due to my Amazons being older and just as commonly disabled. So, I am very selective on when and where I use them. When I have a new Amazons join us, I spend at least two months watching this new Parrot's habits and method of getting around the cage prior to using a concrete /sand perch. Placing a concrete perch in an area that the Parrot rarely uses or always uses can create more of a problem than it corrects for a disabled Parrot.

I truly believe that there is a special place for those who rehome, disabled Parrots! Thank-you, for providing a forever home for Gus!!!

Ok, here's my plan. Make a flat perch with rounded sides, wide enough that most of his toes fit on top, with just a gentle curve. Then his nails should rest on the curved sides, without much downward pressure. If only the curved sides are abrasive, then the nail ends will abrade without irritating the undersides of his feet. Not sure how to make the sides abrasive ... Wonder Boy has a full shop of woodworking equipment, so I could either glue sand on the surface of the wood or cut a groove and inlay some other material. We also have a kiln - I thought about making some ceramic pieces, unglazed, to fit into the perch sides. Does this sound like a good idea?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
New World Parrots, as near all Parrots are design to roost on Natural Branches. As a result their foot is designed to rap around a curve. As the size of the foot increases the larger the diameter needs to be for the foot to rest comfortably around the branch. This design allows the Parrot to increase and decrease compression as needed - adjusting for the movement of the Natural Branch.

As the parrot ages or spends far too much time on undersized branches (or worst, dowels), its ability to flex the foot begins to fail! At some point, the Parrot losses the ability to adjust its grasp and begins to fall from even the largest diameter perches. Only at that point will you want to move to a flat design.

At this point, get the larger diameter 'Natural' Branch perches in place and dump the dowels, ASAP.

Because your MAC already has over-grown nails and you are working with your Avian Vet to trim them. You do not need the concrete perches as of this moment. You need to have the time to watch and learn what size natural perches are working best for your MAC.

FYI: Your Question: We also have a kiln - I thought about making some ceramic pieces, unglazed, to fit into the perch sides. Does this sound like a good idea?

It has been a long time since I have been around the process of ceramic pieces (unglazed) and their structural strength after the Kilin process and/or the ruffness of it surface. So, I'm going to pass on that idea at this moment. The concern would be breakage as a result of the crushing force of a MAC's Bill!

Natural Branch by their very design vary greatly in diameter and shape over their length. This natural variation brings changes that allows minor changes to the pressure points on the Parrots foot pads. This variation is what a Parrot's foot is happily designed to enjoy and provide healthy long life to the pads of the Parrot's foot.

Your area of the County is starting /well underway of loose leaves from your Hard Woods. It is a great time to do some trimming and you can use those branches to create perches. Please select health branches, remove the bark and let them dry and then create perches.

Last edited:

happy410

Jul 23, 2015
ALABAMA
Parrots
Happy, DYH Amazon
Tesla, Blue & Gold Macaw
I agree, he needs much larger perches. We just recently bought our mac a new sanded perch but he's totally afraid of it. I had to remove it from his cage because he wasn't going anywhere near that new thing in his cage. Weird thing is he's not afraid of anything else, he's usually just goes with the flow.

SilleIN

Aug 18, 2016
Denmark
Parrots
Lots of parrots, most of them rescues
With Gus's other issues, he would benefit from a little nail trim. They are not alarmingly long, but still on the longer side.

And they are not made for small perches. Sugar when given the chance, will choose perches from 2" and upwards. This also helps his nails from overgrowing.

I will try to take a photo of Sugars feet. Though the back nails are a little long at the moment.

SilleIN

Aug 18, 2016
Denmark
Parrots
Here the photos. They are a little long for Sugar and his grip on my arm a little worse (he grabs harder). And s photo asking his mother to stop flashing bright light at him.

Attachments

• IMG_20161102_183044583.jpg
    IMG_20161102_183044583.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 578
  • IMG_20161102_183113168.jpg
    IMG_20161102_183113168.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_20161102_183248352.jpg
    IMG_20161102_183248352.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_20161102_183055481.jpg
    IMG_20161102_183055481.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 390
OP
Kentuckienne

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Parrots
I found a small maple tree trunk, cut about three weeks ago, and made a perch. It's about 4" diameter at the widest point and 2 3/4" out near the end. Most of it is about 3" across but there are many variations in the shape. So far, Gus doesn't like it and keeps moving over to the door or the top of the cage. Hopefully just "scary new thing" syndrome. I know, his nails are still too long ... He's supposed to go for a follow up next month because of an infection he had earlier in the year, and I want to wait until then to get them trimmed to save him the stress.

kentuckienne-albums-gus-picture17262-image.jpg

kentuckienne-albums-gus-picture17261-image.jpg

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Oh, that second picture is a perfect example of a Parrot's foot resting properly on a perch!!!

If there is a Play Area on the top of his cage (sorry I forgot) add one there! You can shift to a screw from the bottom up to hold it in place. Note: you may need to pre-drill a hole to avoid splitting the wood.

Nearly all Parrots will head to the highest perch regardless of whether it is comfortable or not!

Big favor, could you include that picture as part of a Post to my I Love Amazons Thread! Pretty Please!

OP
Kentuckienne

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Parrots
SailBoat, thank you for the feedback! I'll do anything for him, but that doesn't help him unless I know the right thing to do. We will go find similar branches for the play area and the inside cross-cage perch, maybe with forks so he can be choosy. And I'll put the photo on your excellent Amazons thread.

SilleIN

Aug 18, 2016
Denmark
Parrots
I found a small maple tree trunk, cut about three weeks ago, and made a perch. It's about 4" diameter at the widest point and 2 3/4" out near the end. Most of it is about 3" across but there are many variations in the shape. So far, Gus doesn't like it and keeps moving over to the door or the top of the cage. Hopefully just "scary new thing" syndrome. I know, his nails are still too long ... He's supposed to go for a follow up next month because of an infection he had earlier in the year, and I want to wait until then to get them trimmed to save him the stress.

kentuckienne-albums-gus-picture17262-image.jpg

kentuckienne-albums-gus-picture17261-image.jpg

Those perches looks great. I usually let the bark stay on the perches, as it helps keep the nails shorter. It also offers a bit more grip and every once in a while Sugar will de-bark the perch. I also leave some of the smaller twigs on the perch for him to chew up :p

Most Reactions

Latest posts