Artie Chokes and sprouts...

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
...from Brussels...are they ok to feed to the kids? If so,how should I prepare them?
I'm trying to get Amy to try some new stuff and to get the Beebs to TRY anything that's new to him! I've read that 'teils like crunchy stuff so I'd serve him raw stuff.
Amy likes her nummys warm so that would take the crunchiness out of anything.

Suggestions folks??

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Well, it seems like the North American Cook's are busy prepping for Mother's Day and/or there are a vast number of Parrots out there that have elected to keep their Humans from responding in any form!

So, with my Amazon in the other room, I am undercover 'bumping' your Thread back-up the board!

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Any suggestions then, 'boats? do you serve Julio such things?

Jim

trimblegirls

Dec 30, 2016
Northern CA
Parrots
African Grey: Jasper
Blue and Gold Macaw: Lulu
Eclectus: Pickles
I eat brussel sprouts all the time with no problem. I give them to Tillie and Jasper too. I like them sliced up. I put a little butter in the pan and kinda stir fry them. A bit of salt and there good to eat. I give Tillie and Jasper their portion before the salt. I've given the sprouts to them raw too, just cut in small pieces.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
I eat brussel sprouts all the time with no problem. I give them to Tillie and Jasper too. I like them sliced up. I put a little butter in the pan and kinda stir fry them. A bit of salt and there good to eat. I give Tillie and Jasper their portion before the salt. I've given the sprouts to them raw too, just cut in small pieces.

Yes, sorry a little play with their reputation. They are nutritious and good for us and our fids. :) Did try adding to chop but made it a bit smelly especially if frozen.

I will next time will give your stir fry method a try as it is usual to boil or steam them here, they are a regular for Christmas Dinner. Took me years to work out why all the men in the family wanted to go stand in the garden in December :rolleyes:

Last edited:

trimblegirls

Dec 30, 2016
Northern CA
Parrots
African Grey: Jasper
Blue and Gold Macaw: Lulu
Eclectus: Pickles
I will next time give your stir fry method a try as it is usual to boil or steam them and a regular for Christmas Dinner. Took me years to work out why all the men in the family wanted to go stand in the garden in December :rolleyes:

I like them that way because then I can cook them until they get just done, sometimes a little crunchy. I could never seem to steam them without making them mushy.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
On those very rare occasions that Mrs' Boats sneaks that stuff into the house, she steams them. Also, has timed the 'occurrence' to warmer weather when she can select airing the home by opening near every window in the house. :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts