As loud as an African Grey???

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Ohh... Then what about the Aratinga part of the Conure family, that they're super loud?

And how LOUD is a macaw? So many have been on different scopes... Does it all just depend on the personality instead? I just don't know!

Of course it depends on each individual, but when a big mac 'lets loose', .... well here, turn up the volume and....enjoy. :54:

(That's my Ripley you hear, and I'm in a different part of the house when this was recorded)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uR0HLOYQug"]2013 01 30 PlayTime 002 - YouTube[/ame]

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
And how LOUD is a macaw? So many have been on different scopes... Does it all just depend on the personality instead? I just don't know!

Ever been near a jet engine operating at high thrust?? :D Well, not entirely that loud, but Macaw screams are near or at the top of the parrot chart for decibel level. None of my Greys, Cockatoos, Amazons, or Ekkies came remotely close!

OP
June2012

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
Still on that mission, but looking for my mushy! <3

Ever been near a jet engine operating at high thrust?? :D Well, not entirely that loud, but Macaw screams are near or at the top of the parrot chart for decibel level. None of my Greys, Cockatoos, Amazons, or Ekkies came remotely close!

Yes, I've heard! LOL!!! But I thought Macs were a close second behind Cockatoos??

OP
June2012

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
Ohh... Then what about the Aratinga part of the Conure family, that they're super loud?

Of course it depends on each individual, but when a big mac 'lets loose', .... well here, turn up the volume and....enjoy. :54:

(That's my Ripley you hear, and I'm in a different part of the house when this was recorded)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uR0HLOYQug"]2013 01 30 PlayTime 002 - YouTube[/ame]

That...actually isn't that bad! XD I must be insane or crazily addicted, because even though I'm hearing my ears ring, I'm still fine. Can you hear it from outside, windows closed?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
That...actually isn't that bad! XD I must be insane or crazily addicted, because even though I'm hearing my ears ring, I'm still fine. Can you hear it from outside, windows closed?

Yes, you can. As clear as a bell. And that is with new, triple pain windows, new insulation, and new siding. :21: You can actually hear him a block away if he's REALLY at it.

Perhaps you've been to one too many concerts? Has your hearing been tested lately? JUST KIDDING!

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
My birds: Skyler/Sky, violet Indian Ringneck. Mother's birds: Norman, African Grey and Mildred, Blue Crowned Conure.
I have, but I've thought that they're loud as macaws? Or something close.

I've actually listened to an Eclectus scream on YouTube. Deafening, yes, but I can do it! XD

Larger Conures aren't as loud as Macaws. Our Blue Crowned Conure is pretty quiet. She doesn't scream much and it isn't anywhere near as loud as a larger bird. They can be loud, but nowhere near as loud as a Macaw or something similar. Conures have all the personality of a Macaw though, they are just shrunken. :)

Not super loud. Just loud. It depends.

Macaws are very loud.

OP
June2012

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots

Yes, you can. As clear as a bell. And that is with new, triple pain windows, new insulation, and new siding. :21: You can actually hear him a block away if he's REALLY at it.

Perhaps you've been to one too many concerts? Has your hearing been tested lately? JUST KIDDING!

Eh... I can live with dat. And I've actually never been to a concert. *cries a little* But I don't mind noise at all... The only quiet time i need is at night but I think a macaw would understand. But if it's a block away with everything shut tight, maybe a rethink would be reasonable. A whole block with everything sealed shut? WOWOW!

OP
June2012

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
Larger Conures aren't as loud as Macaws. Our Blue Crowned Conure is pretty quiet. She doesn't scream much and it isn't anywhere near as loud as a larger bird. They can be loud, but nowhere near as loud as a Macaw or something similar. Conures have all the personality of a Macaw though, they are just shrunken. :)

Not super loud. Just loud. It depends.

Macaws are very loud.

I need to re-evaluate my life around parrots, lol. But I can live with the scream fo a macaw, I think. It's just my neighbors... Oi. >_<

Bandespresso

Dec 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Congo African Grey+
Worked closely with many species, birds with behavioral problems, and now birds of prey and other wildlife
non-powdery, cuddly, big is fine, loud is okay but not preferred....hmmmmm.....I think Eclectus! Have you been to a certain SoCal bird store that starts with an O and ends with a mar's :p? Playing with some of the cuties there might help you decide what species to go with! I'm not a huge supporter of them because they over-breed a lot but the babies are well-socialized and fun to play with!!

OP
June2012

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
non-powdery, cuddly, big is fine, loud is okay but not preferred....hmmmmm.....I think Eclectus! Have you been to a certain SoCal bird store that starts with an O and ends with a mar's :p? Playing with some of the cuties there might help you decide what species to go with! I'm not a huge supporter of them because they over-breed a lot but the babies are well-socialized and fun to play with!!

Eclectus is also something I looking into! I can't decide which subspecies though, or if I need to...

I'm going to visit Omar's when I have time to get a feel of them. I might even spend a whole day there ogling over birds. :10:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Despite you thinking you could tolerate the 'possible' screaming of a big mac, I'd very strongly recommend AGAINST you getting one.

Big macs need experienced handlers / owners / guardians. They most certainly will test their boundaries - in every way imaginable.

Naturally the decision will ultimately be yours to make, no matter what the good folks from this forum recommend, or recommend against. :)

EdwardH

Dec 23, 2012
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus
cockatiel
red rump
Eclectus love to be with you but aren't overly fond of being touched. Also they are messy eaters - think food fight! I had two for about 7 years and they are fantastic birds. Solomon islands are the smallest and least likely to bite but if they do they will draw blood. Their body language can be hard to decipher which leads to the bite. If in doubt leave them alone and they will come to you in a happy mood.

OP
June2012

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
Despite you thinking you could tolerate the 'possible' screaming of a big mac, I'd very strongly recommend AGAINST you getting one.

Big macs need experienced handlers / owners / guardians. They most certainly will test their boundaries - in every way imaginable.

Naturally the decision will ultimately be yours to make, no matter what the good folks from this forum recommend, or recommend against. :)

I know. Even though i desperately want one, my area can't even withstand the noise of ONE macaw. I mean, it should be as loud as a CAG. That's what the title says at least. I'm still researching just because I feel that I'd get one later in life or if I move. May as well stock up now than later, right?

OP
June2012

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
Eclectus love to be with you but aren't overly fond of being touched. Also they are messy eaters - think food fight! I had two for about 7 years and they are fantastic birds. Solomon islands are the smallest and least likely to bite but if they do they will draw blood. Their body language can be hard to decipher which leads to the bite. If in doubt leave them alone and they will come to you in a happy mood.

I would like a cuddly bird. I love giving and receiving affection from my animals. but I don't mind messiness or the biting that comes with it. All cats are going to scratch, dogs will nip or jump. And is it just me, or do a lot of the females look very fat? They look so chubby!!

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
I reiterate that parrots can never be stereotyped. My Grey (the loud one) is as cuddly as a big, white cockatoo (and they're not reputed to be such). He will lay upside down for HOURS for snuggling at night. He's a unique one, huh? ;-)

My RB cockatoo is like a big, pink cockatiel. Seriously, his temperament and personality are VERY cockatiel-like. HE could live in an apartment. My Grey, no way. He'd get us kicked out day one.

Good luck on your choice.

OP
June2012

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
I reiterate that parrots can never be stereotyped. My Grey (the loud one) is as cuddly as a big, white cockatoo (and they're not reputed to be such). He will lay upside down for HOURS for snuggling at night. He's a unique one, huh? ;-)

My RB cockatoo is like a big, pink cockatiel. Seriously, his temperament and personality are VERY cockatiel-like. HE could live in an apartment. My Grey, no way. He'd get us kicked out day one.

Good luck on your choice.

Maybe I should just stick to looking for birds around the area that seem quiet. :3

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
My galah is extremely quiet, certainly nowhere near the level of even the smaller white cockatoos and quieter than the local ringnecks (we have feral ones living down the road from me). I'm sure there are loud galahs out there but the impression I get from other galah owners on here is that most of them have pretty quiet birds, at least relative to other species of similar size. I'm pretty sensitive to loud noises which rules or quite a few species for me, but none of the galahs i've personally met have been a problem at all.

She's also not particularly dusty and very, very cuddly.

OP
June2012

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
My galah is extremely quiet, certainly nowhere near the level of even the smaller white cockatoos and quieter than the local ringnecks (we have feral ones living down the road from me). I'm sure there are loud galahs out there but the impression I get from other galah owners on here is that most of them have pretty quiet birds, at least relative to other species of similar size. I'm pretty sensitive to loud noises which rules or quite a few species for me, but none of the galahs i've personally met have been a problem at all.

Maybe galah cockatoos are quiet, compared to other cockatoos, I guess?But do you ever find that males might be more loud than females? Videos have told me that males seem very loud.

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo

Maybe galah cockatoos are quiet, compared to other cockatoos, I guess?But do you ever find that males might be more loud than females? Videos have told me that males seem very loud.

All I can give is my personal experience in that the dozen or so galahs I've met have all been pretty quiet, the pattern being occasional bursts of letting off steam (like once or twice a day for a minute or so) but generally happy communicating in squeaks, chirps and chatter. I've not heard that males can be louder but I guess it's possible. In comparison, my local pet shop had a Ducorps cockatoo not much bigger than a galah that could shatter glass when he got going, and U2s and M2s are considerably louder again, so lumping any galah in with the rest of the too family isn't really accurate. All individuals are different and I'm sure there are extremely loud galahs out there - but my own experiences of them and from the comments other owners on here have made suggests that they're one of the quieter medium sized birds, cockatoo or otherwise.

OP
June2012

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots

All I can give is my personal experience in that the dozen or so galahs I've met have all been pretty quiet, the pattern being occasional bursts of letting off steam (like once or twice a day for a minute or so) but generally happy communicating in squeaks, chirps and chatter. I've not heard that males can be louder but I guess it's possible. In comparison, my local pet shop had a Ducorps cockatoo not much bigger than a galah that could shatter glass when he got going, and U2s and M2s are considerably louder again, so lumping any galah in with the rest of the too family isn't really accurate. All individuals are different and I'm sure there are extremely loud galahs out there - but my own experiences of them and from the comments other owners on here have made suggests that they're one of the quieter medium sized birds, cockatoo or otherwise.

I can deal with a huge squawk here and there. I don't mind noise, just the frequency irks me... I'll definitely look into them. They're also SO CUTE! *must...retrain...*

Most Reactions

Latest posts