Asking the right questions?

kyva

Apr 23, 2014
Doylestown PA
Long story short, my husband and I may be getting either a parakeet/budgie or a cockatiel.

While talking to the owner of the shop and getting on a waiting list for budgies, I mentioned my cockatiel and was told about a young grey they have who suffered a compound fracture to one of this legs.

I didn't think on it much and hung up. Later that night, I mentioned it to my husband who I thought wouldn't be ready for another tiel, but he suggested I give them a chance in addition to the budgies.

I called them back yesterday to learn more about him.

Things I know:

- he suffered a compound fracture to one of his legs. The bone broke completely through the skin.
- the previous owner (of 30 years experience) took him home, splinted his leg and cared for him as he healed.
- she's done her best not to bond with him as she has no space for another bird.
- he's completely hand tame now because of his injury and healing process.
- I'm told he can grip with the foot, but it's weak.
- they want him to find a home without kids so his risk of falling is limited (we only have pets)
- he's currently in a cage with very young, yet to be weaned tiels as the perches are very close to the floor.

Things I'm waiting to find out:

- I asked if I should look into getting normal perches and ledges, or just one or the other. They're going to observe him to see if he can in fact perch on that foot or if he prefers the floor of the baby cage. Then they'll get back to me.
- I'm not sure how old he is. I did get a picture of him today, and he looks very young. Possibly only a few months old.

I forgot to ask what kind of food he's on, though I suspect I'd find that out if we decide to go and see him this weekend.

This is what he looks like as of today:

1506997_787072381303181_9218535800162767779_n.jpg

He's putting weight on both feet far as I can tell. His coloring makes him look extremely young to me, but I'm not the best at aging cockatiels.

The woman who cared for him thought he was female, but after hearing him talk up a storm, she thinks he's a male.

I spoke to her last night for a long time, and the entire time she was on the phone with me, he was talking in the background.

She says he loves to cuddle and is just happy being with someone.

He'd be a rescue. She wants him to go to a knowledgeable home and to keep in touch.

In any case, my reason for this post is to think of questions to ask that I may have missed.

I need to ask about diet, how long the guarantee may be so I can get him checked at my vet, his approximate age and of course about the perch situation.

But what else? Is it rude of me to ask how the break happened? I don't want to be nosy as the woman sounds very nice, as does the little cockatiel. I also don't think the cause is that important.

I admit, i cringed a bit when she told me she splinted the leg herself, but I suppose some folks may do the same thing after working with birds for so long.

I'd be observing him on Saturday, and if anything feels off, I will leave him where he is. That said, can you think of anything else I should ask?

What if I bring him home, away from his usual surroundings, and he cries for his previous caregiver?

Thanks in advance. Right now I'm just trying to weigh things out so we can hopefully pick a direction.

I want to add that at no time did this woman try to tone things down for me. She was very upfront about his injury and that she had a family beg for him, but they're regulars and already have so many in the family. She really wants him to go to a home that can devote the time and attention he needs one on one.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I can't think of anything at the moment, although if he's a bit handicapped, it may very well be in his best interest to be flighted. Looking at the image, I can tell that he is clipped.

As far as crying for his previous care-taker? Well, a lot of birds get rehomed every year and many of them learn to adjust to their new homes. I currently have 7 birds, 6 of them are rehomes. My newest girl is actually doing far better with me than she did in her foster home, which is something I still can't get my head wrapped around! Her foster mother is an amazing women and I don't know how Jayde *didn't* warm up to her more than she did!

OP
K

kyva

Apr 23, 2014
Doylestown PA
I hadn't even considered flighted vs. non. I had it in my head this morning, but then I forgot.

I'll be sure not to clip him if he should come home with us. Thank you so much for the reminder.

Most Reactions

Latest posts