Asking

Bird-Dude_1000

Nov 20, 2009
Hello evry1!!!
I just have a question.
I will be getting a CAG soon and i want to know something.
I want to know if there is a way to make my parrot ask for something like if it wants an apple i could say "can i have an apple?" or somthing like that......

Thanks in advance:D:D

I would appreciate it if i read from AD, antoinette and SB. Evrey1 else feel free to answer too. (its just because they reply to the majority of the posts :D)

BYE!!:grey::22:

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Antoinette and SpiritBird are our active Grey owners, so they should be able to answer this best. We have several other grey owners to and it seems to be the fastest growing segment of the forums.

I'm curious why you ask your question, the most direct answer to the question is a wholehearted and undoubted YES. But this is like asking "Is there a way to send a rocket to the moon?" The answer is a similarly confident YES. But I couldn't make a rocket go to the moon. This does not mean it is easy or that you will necessarily have success with your bird.

Greys are great tallkers, perhaps the best among parrots, and they are (can be) completely aware of what they are saying - ie they do not just 'mimic' but they use words to communicate and to ask for things.

But this does take much training, hard work, and time.

So, in summary - is it possible? Absolutely. Is it guaranteed? Absolutely not. Is it likely? I'll leave that to the grey owners.

Last edited:

Riley's mom

Banned
Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Holiday, Florida
Parrots
Military's, African Greys, Blue and Gold, Goffin, conures, quaker, lovebird, senegal parrot
Auggies dad is absolutely right. I have 2 CAG's along with macaws and other birds. 1 of my CAG as well as 1 of my macaws will occassionally ask for something specifically such as a peanut, cookie, etc. It is very much possible.:green1:

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Bird-Dude: Have you done your research on the Greys? There is so much information out there and some is better than others. I printed out so much from the internet and made a binder for reference. Winged Wisdom is a good site. For books I suggest Its a Grey World and Parrots for Dummies. AD is absolutely correcting that if trained right these parrots can carry on a conversation with you and ask for what they want. Every time I give Rosie some water I say to her "want water". She is just a little over 8 months now and has not talked yet. She whistles like crazy. I advise you not to teach your bird to whistle first - work on the words. Tell them the name of the object your are giving them, expose them to something new every day and allow them to make decisions. Where will you get the grey? What age?
The only way to get a guaranteed talker is to buy a grey that is already talking. Important to remember that yes greys are the best talkers but they do not all talk. Did you read Antionette's post Alex and Me? It very good. You will need to invest much of your time and patience in training a grey. You will be the guardian - not the one that dominates!! Parrots are not punished for not doing what you want. Good luck and keep coming with the qestions.

Last edited:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hi Bird-Dude
Wow so much to cover Dude !!!!!
Are you going to hand rear, or getting an older bird?
AG are wonderful intelligent birds.
Being a guardian to an AG is a life long commitment, love, devotion, time and patience.
I hand reared Mishka at 6 weeks old.
She is with me 24/7 seven days a week.
Right from the start, I spoke to her continuously, as long as she was awake I spoke.
This method works fantastic for us. :D
I made a cd with my voice saying hello and love you.
She started saying hello and love you at very very young age.
When she started saying hello and love you correctly, I then added more words onto the cd. Going at a very slow pace, making sure she knows and understands what she is saying. To-date I have made her 12 cd's. 11 of them are a variety.
I say doggie doggie woof woof - monkey monkey hoo hoo hoo etc... asking her questions and answering them as well.
The 12th cd is a collaboration of the 11 cd's.
When at home I play the cd's saying everything with the recording. Even if we are in the same room, a cd is continuously playing, everyday.
It's amazing, she now knows what the next recording is, and says it before it plays.
When I going out I leave a cd on for her. (a rule in our home, make sure Mishka's cd is left on when going out) OR ELSE !!!!!
At night she sits on my lap for an hour, we chat, that is when I start teaching her new word and sayings. She has now learnt the first line of Baa Baa Black Sheep.
If you interested in listening to us chatting, go into video's and check it out.
More info about Ag's go into Active Topics look up "Getting an African Grey"
My fingers are now eina from typing LoL
SpiritBird has given great advise Take note - it's from her personal experience.
Hope this was helpful.
Keep us posted !!!!!
Take care
:grey:

Last edited:
OP
B

Bird-Dude_1000

Nov 20, 2009
Hey all!!!:)
Thanks for all the replies!!
You Dont need to worry, i have researched alot of stuff about parrots and african greys too!! From books to the internet.
The Grey i'm getting is 6 months old and has been hand-reared by the owner. Unfortunately She has to move and cant take him along so ill be adopting him.
I'm not just getting an african grey for it to speak (HE** NO!!) If i wanted a talking parrot then i would have gotten something smaller and cheaper (even tho 'm adopting him) I want one because they are intelligent and can learn alot of stuff (like Alex:) and also because he would be a GREAT addition to the family!! :D
I know it would be hard but its all worth it at the end!!

Ummm......... Thats me for now
P.S His Name is Andy

BYe!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hey there, great to hear from you !!!
Glad you have done research etc, broadens ones minds tremendously. :D
Let us know when Andy arrives....
Great day

Last edited:

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Welcome to Andy. I hope the change runs smoothly for him and you. They are beautiful, exotic, undomesticated birds that continue to exhibit their instinctual wild character. Since you have done your research all should be fine. Hope he is not seed trained. Pellets are the better of the two. My avain vets recommended Harrison's. Stay in touch and let us know how you are doing. Bye for now.

Most Reactions

Latest posts