Avian Harness DIY Accessory

lpolliard

Sep 1, 2012
Media
Mission Viejo CA
Parrots
Male Eclectus ~25 years old (rescue)
I found this DIY add-on very useful. By using a large fishing swivel I was able to attach the elastic loop at the end of the Avian Harness to a small dog leash which has small diameter cording. Securely tie the swivel to the end of the leash cord then push the harness loop through the other eyelet on the swivel and push the handle through the elastic loop, pull tight. The swivel prevents the cord from twisting. The leash unit fits nicely in my back pocket securely while walking with Chico on my shoulder or hand. This unit has 23 feet of cord so when fully deployed I am able to fly Chico 50 feet with the handle at the center. He is not a strong flyer but can drag the deployed light weight cord. He is not able to pull the spring loaded cord from the handle. I find it unnecessary to secure the handle as he is only able to drag it for a few feet before being forced to land softly if he misses my intended target perch. He hasn't recalled successfully but I am hopeful. Eventually I would like to train him to fly from my hand, circle around me and return to my hand on command. As you can see the handle can be secured to a perch with a carabiner.

Attachments

• 2013-10-12 09.42.08.jpg
    2013-10-12 09.42.08.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,359
Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts