Aviculture acupuncture ?

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
My local bird club has a meeting tomorrow and the guest speaker is an aviculture acupuncturist. I am debating on whether to attend or not, as it takes me 2 hours to drive to the meeting. We are allowed to bring our birds to the meeting, so I thought I might could get a consulation on her toe and acupuncture to improve it. My Hubby is reluctant and thinks it's snake oil and a waste of my day and his money.

Flora is 6 months old tomorrow and was given to me by the breeder to wean off because she couldn't find a buyer for her due to the fact that she has a bummed toe. Her toe that should go to the back is forward and sideways. Do you all think maybe acupuncture could help remedy this ? She does have grip with the toe, as I will move it to its rightful place when bonding with her perched on my hand. The breeder wanted to have the toe removed, but I took her as is. She is clumsy with that foot, as she likes to hang upside down by one foot and play, and has fallen several times due to the bad toe. The vet recommended binding the toe to the other back foot, but she simply chewed off the vet wrap the time I attempted that. I worried that it may cause her to actually chew on the toe and cause further damage.

Anyway, has anyone here tried acupuncture on their bird, or does anyone think it may help Flora's special toe ?

Here is a photo of her toe:
DSCN0089.jpg

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hi Heather!! :)

I can't answer your question about the acupuncture, but have you considered wrapping the toe again to the other one and then adding a cone for a while, so she can't chew it off again?

Flora is also still very young, and I think in time she will learn to cope with that one toe just fine. Hey, my Sam is 18 months, and HE still falls every once in a while because he gets carried way by swaying on one toenail like Tarzan. ;)

OP
Boysmom

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Flora- Panama Amazon
Thanks Wendy, I will try a cone and wrapping the toe to the other one again. Flora is such a clown and loves to hang upside down and attack her toys. Maybe the toe isn't the issue with her falling as your Sam falls also. It could very well just be her reckless play. She will even hang by just her beak and flail around, She is so funny. I just love her to bits.

I told Densie, I am now thanful the rescue took so long to approve me. I wouldn't have Flora if they had been faster in their decision. I would have adopted from the rescue then would have passed on Flora when she was offered to me. I love her and she loves me so much. She now just begs for kisses all day long, and the step up training is coming along nicely. She now steps up on command with one foot, so before along she will have it perfected. She weaned off easily and eats all her fresh diet very well. She loves to sit and cuddle with me at night while I watch TV, and I can just suck up the Zon smell all night. In the end I got the bird God had intended for me, and we are both very happy ! I am pleased no one wanted her with her bummed toe, it was fate for her to be mine !

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
NAAAAWWW!!! Now you gave me the chills!! :eek: Flora and you sound SO very happy together. :) I am THRILLED that you have her. She couldn't be in a better home!!!

Can I ask for some "head shots"?? Or whole Flora shots?? I want to coo and caah.....:D

OP
Boysmom

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Flora- Panama Amazon
I will post some pics tomorrow, as the Hubby is ready to go out to dinner and run some errands and my son just brought home a baby chipmunk that crawled down his hoodie to get away from his dog. Yay, I get to hand feed some other critter now. Poor little guy was cold, and I now have it on a heat rock to warm it up. Crazy dog, always making me handfeed crazy animals. last time it was baby voltures.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I will post some pics tomorrow, as the Hubby is ready to go out to dinner and run some errands and my son just brought home a baby chipmunk that crawled down his hoodie to get away from his dog. Yay, I get to hand feed some other critter now. Poor little guy was cold, and I now have it on a heat rock to warm it up. Crazy dog, always making me handfeed crazy animals. last time it was baby voltures.

:eek: :eek: :eek: Baby vultures????? :eek: :eek: :eek: What exactly did you feed them? Road kill??? :54: BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Good luck with baby chippy. ;)

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
I'm going to just say this, I wouldn't feel right allowing someone to push needles into Hahnzel for any purpose. I have had to give him shots for infections before, but I am also a nurse and am confident with those types of things. Plus I got detailed instructions from my avian vet beforehand. If it were my bird I would say no to the needles.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Wow. Acupuncture needles and birds.... Doesn't sit well with me due to bleeding. I have had acupunc many times and still do. Every once in a while a spot will bleed or muscle spasm when needle in, but I'm not a little bird that might panic or need to be restrained vs hurt self. But, i dint have any details of parrot acup specifics.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
The thing with acupuncture is it has to be done on a regular basis, and the patient should be able to relax while the needles are in. I'm very interested to hear how this goes, I've heard of success stories with horses and dogs, but never birds. And am so curious as to how they get the birds to put up with it, and sit still. Are they toweled?

Most Reactions