Injured Budgie nail

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Hey all,
Quick question. My Budgie, Fay, injured her toe yesterday afternoon ( I don't know how). As she is not tame, I couldnā€™t get a really good look at it until she went to roost last night (other than to tell it wasnā€™t broken or anything). It looks like she tore/cracked the nail or nail bed a little bit. The nail isnā€™t dangling or badly damaged and the rest of her toe appears ( as well as her other toes, foot, leg) totally fine. It seems like her injured toe is tender for landing on it or climbing, but otherwise she is her normal self; eating, drinking, chattering, flying. As I said, sheā€™s not tame so catching her to try and clean it is not an easy task and I donā€™t want to hurt it worse or stress her out. Has anyone else had to deal with a damaged nail, and do you think I would be taking a risk to let it heal on its own or will it likely be ok? The only other birds Iā€™ve had tear their nails like this are my chickens and they always heal up fine despite walking around in the grass and dirt and scratching in horse poop! Also, Fay is not picking at the injury at all, sheā€™s totally leaving it alone. Thoughts?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hey all,
Quick question. My Budgie, Fay, injured her toe yesterday afternoon ( I don't know how). As she is not tame, I couldnā€™t get a really good look at it until she went to roost last night (other than to tell it wasnā€™t broken or anything). It looks like she tore/cracked the nail or nail bed a little bit. The nail isnā€™t dangling or badly damaged and the rest of her toe appears ( as well as her other toes, foot, leg) totally fine. It seems like her injured toe is tender for landing on it or climbing, but otherwise she is her normal self; eating, drinking, chattering, flying. As I said, sheā€™s not tame so catching her to try and clean it is not an easy task and I donā€™t want to hurt it worse or stress her out. Has anyone else had to deal with a damaged nail, and do you think I would be taking a risk to let it heal on its own or will it likely be ok? The only other birds Iā€™ve had tear their nails like this are my chickens and they always heal up fine despite walking around in the grass and dirt and scratching in horse poop! Also, Fay is not picking at the injury at all, sheā€™s totally leaving it alone. Thoughts?
I would just leave it to heal by itself. Even if you managed to clean it she would just get it dirty again immediately. Animals (and people) usually heal minor injuries quickly without medical care.

OP
J

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I would just leave it to heal by itself. Even if you managed to clean it she would just get it dirty again immediately. Animals (and people) usually heal minor injuries quickly without medical care.
Thanks DonnaBudgie! Iā€™m just going to keep an eye on it but leave it alone. She honestly seems to already be doing slightly better today than she was yesterday.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
budgies tend to overcross the line a lot and get hurt feet. Your budgie will be fine.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
I'd leave it be if it's not likely to get caught on something and reopened.

Most Reactions

Latest posts