B&g vs greenwing macaw

serge_09

Aug 8, 2013
Leicester, England, UK
Parrots
Lola - GreenWing Macaw
hi everyone

i know ive asked a question in the past about which macaw and got a lot of helpful advice however all macaws were being thrown in and ive now narrowed it down to 2.

i went to visit some yesterday and was shown scarletts (beautiful but not for me) the greenwings and b&gs as id requested.

im literally in the final stages now everything is set up at home and im ready to make my decision, but i cant, i really cant. i cant even base it on appearance their both beautiful and as different as night and day :confused:

could anyone with any information on comparisons please help me sway my decision,

temperament:
talking ability:
acceptance of strangers:
intelligence:

i know all macaws can be different and i could end up with one that is completely against the norm, but on a general basis??

please help, the decision is so hard
(hopefully bringing him/her home in the upcoming couple of weeks)

thanks

lewis

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
I love blue and golds the most, because my favourite colour is blue ;) haha

But i absolutely adore my boy..

He is perfect in every single way..

VERY independent, easy going, cuddly, playful, friendly, cheeky

Has never shown aggression, yet ;)

He talks alot, but its not a wide variety of words, he only knows hello, step up, mum, mumma, and he is close to saying good boy and fargo!

But other than that he just makes funny random words and noises! :)

He goes out on a harness, goes to town and will let complete strangers touch him and will step up for them!

And INCREDIBLY clever.. He knows 22 tricks! It amazes me how quickly he learns things !

But he is just brilliant, very cuddly sweet boy, but very independent and clever at the same time!

Here is a video of the tricks i taught Fargo
You can go through the rest of the videos i have uploaded and you can see him talking or just being playful :)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y7hr3ZQojc&feature=youtu.be"]Fargo the blue and gold macaw training tricks - YouTube[/ame]

Oh and if you click on Fargos facebook you can see lots of pictures! ;)

Last edited:

Brodie

Jul 25, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Male Eclectus- Oscar and Female Eclectus- Scarlet
We had the same dilemma between these two, although we settled on the greenwing.
I don't see a huge difference, w were torn between a Scarlet and a B&G, But son realized the greenwing was best of both worlds, the playful personality of a B&G and the pettyness of a Scarlet. Greenwings are perfect in my eyes. Although Fargo is beautiful and amazing as well, i do absolutely adore him! His my favorite Blue and Gold <3

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
temperament:
talking ability:
acceptance of strangers:
intelligence:

Temperament: IME, my Green Wing is a bit more laid back than my B&G, meaning my B&G is CONSTANTLY on the go, playing, hanging upside down, not sitting still very much, easily excitable.

Talking ability: Equal in both

Acceptance of stranger: Will solely depend on how the bird was socialized ;)

Intelligence: Equal in both

I truly think you will eventually have BOTH, HAHAHAHAHHA!! It's a VERY hard decision to make, and I certainly don't envy you, BUT I am very excited with you. :D

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
I truly think you will eventually have BOTH, HAHAHAHAHHA!! It's a VERY hard decision to make, and I certainly don't envy you, BUT I am very excited with you. :D

Hey, he hasn't even got his first bird yet and you are already encouraging him to get another ;) HAHAHAHA :09:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Generally speaking, a mush-mac is a mush-mac.

Greenwings tend to have the better temperment in my opinion, but the difference between them isn't that great... this is more a socialization thing really between these two.

My greenwing talks as clear as a bell. Some do. Some don't. Like other's have said, potential talking ability is about the same for both.

These are both "human toddler" level IQ birds. Both are very mechanically inclined.

My best advice is to play with them, and find the one with the best personality. Pick the bird that also picks you...

OP
S

serge_09

Aug 8, 2013
Leicester, England, UK
Parrots
Lola - GreenWing Macaw
temperament:
talking ability:
acceptance of strangers:
intelligence:

Temperament: IME, my Green Wing is a bit more laid back than my B&G, meaning my B&G is CONSTANTLY on the go, playing, hanging upside down, not sitting still very much, easily excitable.

Talking ability: Equal in both

Acceptance of stranger: Will solely depend on how the bird was socialized ;)

Intelligence: Equal in both

oh so do i wendy, i already enquired as to weather the 2 would be suitable if i was to add one a couple of years down the line haha

thankyou for your answer :)

OP
S

serge_09

Aug 8, 2013
Leicester, England, UK
Parrots
Lola - GreenWing Macaw

Hey, he hasn't even got his first bird yet and you are already encouraging him to get another ;) HAHAHAHA :09:

ive just managed to see fargos video, he is so clever and truely a stunning looking bird! say some should make an offer... haha i joke of course!

cstambaugh

Nov 3, 2013
Parrots
Zeus - Greenwing
My greenwing speaks so clearly that I was telling him "come here", he repeated it, but my brother sitting right next to him on the couch didnt even know it was the bird talking, he thought I repeated myself.

kendrafitz

Jul 14, 2012
Central NJ
Parrots
Rosie the Green Winged Macaw
I love my GW, she is awesome. But I think B&Gs are awesome too.

I agree that you should go, spend time and choose whatever bird you have a connection with. You can't go wrong with either and I have always been of the mindset of letting my bird, dogs, cats, etc pick me.

Can't wait to read all about your new fid!

nyspy

Nov 5, 2013
Parrots
Pretty Birdy (BG Macaw)
Duke (BG Macaw)
The connection is very important when picking out a bird. If neither truly "connects" with you, I would suggest taking your time. Mine connected with me right away, but there were others that were completely without that.. It will make a huge difference in the long run.. You'll just know when the right bird comes along.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
the connection is very important when picking out a bird. If neither truly "connects" with you, i would suggest taking your time. Mine connected with me right away, but there were others that were completely without that.. It will make a huge difference in the long run.. You'll just know when the right bird comes along.

exactly.... And it makes all the difference in the world!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I'm not sure that I agree with the "connection" thing. I had seen my Ripley at the bird store MANY MANY times, but he wasn't what I would call "the friendliest bird" there. In fact, the day I put a deposit down on him, the store employee told me if I wanted to try and take him out of his cage, it would be at my own risk. :54:

I did manage to get him out, while holding a toy in the other hand, then put him back and repeated that a few times. He wasn't a touchy feely bird though.

2 days later I went and picked him up and brought him home. So even though for ME it was love at 15th or so sight, I knew Ripley wasn't necessarily feeling the same way in the very beginning.

He was VERY shy at first, and it took a while to make him the confident, full of himself, obnoxious and sweet boy he is now. :D

Here is a picture that was taken the day after I brought him home:

jde2

Jul 18, 2013
Cayman Islands
Parrots
(4 - Blue & Gold Macaws) Jay, Zazou, Sassy, Pedra
(2 - Scarlet Macaws) Tiki & Taco
(1 - Shamrock Macaw) Rasta
(2 - Cayman Amazons)
(2 - Quakers)
(1 - Yellow Nape Amazon) Papi
I've got 4 B&Gs. They all have different personalities.
To get a friendly Macaw it really depends on the socializing you do with it if you want a friendly bird towards complete strangers.
One of my macaws that have never been socialized is a complete baby towards me but a monster to everyone else. Another one is some what friendly to others once you don’t approach her aggressively. Out of the other 2, which I recently got a few months ago… one is very shy and the other is somewhat bold and friendly. I was told they were a pair but after testing they both ended up being a pair of bonded females.
I've never owned a GW, would love to as well! A few of my friends have GWs, they are much bigger and their beak strengths are way more than that of a BG. Be sure to have a good cage and lots of toys lol
I also got a Scarlet, the possibilities of her becoming friendly are relatively slim.

Most Reactions