B&G's Precious and Pretty Boy - adopted 4 years ago

JustJenn

Jan 28, 2019
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaws
Little history on my Macaws.

While we are not 100% certain of their age, I do have a copy of a vet visit and certificate of health from many years ago when their presumed 1st momma moved to the country I now live in.

In 1996, Precious weighed 1050grams, and Pretty Boy 1090grams, so just over 2 pounds for her, and almost 2-1/2 for him (I have no clue what they currently weigh but Pretty Boy is much larger than she is) Based on their weight in '96, google tells me they were adults.

At an unknown to me year, their momma gave or sold them to a friend of sorts who had them for some time, until he could no longer give them the attention they need and deserve (job has him travelling now) and thought they'd be really happy in my ... retail store.

They are in a window that does not get direct sunlight, my husband had an enclosure built for them (9wX4dx6H) They of course have a canvas cover on the outside of the window (which is impact glass due to living in an area prone to hurricanes and no, this window does not ever see direct wind). They do get their full nights rest between the outside cover and the inside blackout curtains on the other side. If they become over stimulated during the day, we cover the window from the outside. They happiness and stress levels are very important to us.

For anyone freaked about the retail store part - they LOVE the interaction with people walking by!

I should back up a bit. Pretty Boy, is too large for me to hold but he adores the attention and loves a good massage from me. He pretty much likes everyone. Precious, well, she's not a very nice bird. Sure, sometimes she looks at you with those eyes and I swear she is batting eyelashes to entice you to come closer but then she lunges and yes, bites. I think she likes to draw blood. Thankfully (they) she is stick trained so at least we can handle both of them to a degree. I truly believe in my heart, she was attached to her first human mom. While it has been 4 years, I still cannot handle her. No one can. I still have hope that one day that will change but I admit to being afraid of her, while loving her at the same time. It isn't her fault she keeps getting bounced around.

OP
J

JustJenn

Jan 28, 2019
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaws
That was getting lengthy.

Something happened, and we were forced to bring them home. It was so sad because they had to be in a much smaller ... cage, while waiting for an outdoor enclosure to be built that kept them out of direct sunlight, and they also loved that. I don't have the measurements in front of me, but the height I think, is a good 12 feet. We can easily walk inside and move about ourselves. They liked when we were home enough to let them waddle around until the really big birds in the sky would do fly overs which ended their desire to be exposed, understandably. The thing is, they were getting sad there. We are always at work and the guilt consumed us until we half considered adopting them out, but just can't stomach them being put with yet another family. Again. It's just not fair to them.

So here they are, back at my work ... mating. Ugh. It's been a rough week. I had posted about in the general comments page, I think.

I just realized the sun is going down and it is time to cover their window and turn out their light, in addition to closing up my shop.

I'll go over diet etc tomorrow which I am sure I am doing all wrong, but at least we have them off the sunflower seed only diet with an occasional mango they were getting before.
They appear, to be in excellent health.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Aw, thank you for adopting this pair. I saw your other post about the loss of a hatched baby, so sad. I think it’s great that they get to be at work with you and see all the people - they are social creatures! It’s also great that you are tuned in to them being overstimulated and needing a break from people. There are a wide range of opinions and options for diet - I’m sure that you’ll learn cool things, and that there’s lots you’re doing right. I love getting ideas from this forum about diet - some things work well, others don’t :). I’m glad you got them off their sunflower seed diet - that’s huge.

Looking forward to hearing more about your pair....and maybe you could post some pictures (we love pics)!

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Just loving the story (yours and theirs).
Keep posting plze :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome to you and your Macaws. I can imagine being at your store has provided them with lots to watch.

Being active in this forum, reading all the posts, even other species can be very insightful. And you never know when your experience can help another member.

Look forward to pictures!

OP
J

JustJenn

Jan 28, 2019
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaws
Thanks everyone.

So ... getting them off of sunflower seeds has been a challenge. I had read somewhere once that Avitech Milk Thistle/Dandelion Liver Detox is good for their livers but I'm the only one that sometimes puts it in their water.

I do not recall the forum I once joined when we first got them, and searching my emails did not help to know if it was this one or another, but I do recall getting shamed for not knowing they couldn't have peanuts and never went back ... but these are all of the things I've tried aside from fresh

Primary , they get Tropical Carnival F.M. Brown's Gourmet Macaw Food Big Bites Big Beaks, which is actually dumb on my part as they waste most of it, but they do like breaking apart the nuts so they can destroy (forage) while working for their little treasures.

I've tried offering the different "flavors" of ZuPreem, LAFEBER'S Classic Nutri-Berries, as well as various other mixes similar to Carnival for Big Beaks but the food was too small and they weren't interested in that, and getting on just pellet as some websites suggested has proved to be a challenge.

I don't recall the homemade recipes I've tried, but they would rather starve.

Sometimes, they will eat fresh veggies and fruit. I brought in a banana to share with them today. I know if they watch me eat half of it slowly, they will decide they must have it. I'm sure you all know how they can be. One day they think the expensive baby squash from the organic market is the best thing ever and then won't touch it again - ever, as an example.

Getting them on a healthier diet is almost as difficult as getting my cats on a properly formulated raw diet. (Cats enjoyed a little raw tenderloin the other night as i cleaned off the bits I didn't want knowing they could use the protein and fat and not carbs)

I'd love and greatly appreciate suggestions on a better mix to keep in the store so that I do not have to worry so much about the staff who does the morning feeding at present time. I'm feeling more confident that I can slowly integrate something in to what they currently eat. I know each bird is different, and we all live in different regions where availability of food items varies, but maybe there are some things I've not thought to offer them (besides the rare homemade baked french "not fried" potatoes. Those are their weakness)

I am convinced most websites (not forums) are filled with people making money off of the brands they suggest and may or may not be recommending what is truly in their best interest.

Now I'm off to search Amazon (I thankfully can get deliveries here) for the Qwiko Egg-Food (or Petco as suggested) and read up on that. While I do not want her laying more eggs ... I do want to ensure I have all that they need for when they need something.

We do not have Certified Avian Vets here ... sure a few vets may have a little knowledge, but not enough.

OP
J

JustJenn

Jan 28, 2019
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaws
I like Tops! And I don't work for them ;)

I probably could have worded it differently. It seems like every website pushes one thing or another, and it's nice to be on a forum with people I can communicate with. I am already on their website to check it out.

Thank you xoxo

(edited to add ... LOVE that it says organic)

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, and thanks for caring as best you can for Precious and Pretty Boy.

Providing a proper diet is challenging, and the healthiest pellets are useless if not eaten! You mentioned ZuPreem, the FruitBlend variety is tolerated by a wide variety of birds. I have used Harrison's for nearly one year - expensive but accepted by all. If you can find samples of various types, it will save significant cost and aggravation!

Fresh vegetables and fruits ought be the majority of their diets. Depending on your location you may have access to a wide variety. This graphic from a supporting vendor gives some tips: http://www.parrotforums.com/bird-street-bistro/79180-6-ways-introduce-new-foods-your-fid.html
They also offer a coupon for the first order: http://www.parrotforums.com/bird-st...reet-bistro-supporting-vendor.html#post792941

This thread gives some great ideas to improve diet: http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html

tfw

Supporting Member
Nov 12, 2018
Parrots
B&G Macaw
I'm going to hijack your thread for a second....are macaws not supposed to be in direct sunlight? One of my macaw's gym is in the corner of the kitchen, which puts it in direct sunlight most of the day. But there are shady corners so it isn't like he's got no shade. How much is too much sun? Or just let him decide on his own when he sits i the shade?

Most Reactions

Latest posts