Chewing

tfw

Supporting Member
Nov 12, 2018
Parrots
B&G Macaw
Ok...so I made sure to get bird safe plastic chains. He LOVES to chew on them obviously. He breaks off pieces. I've been sneaking them out of his mouth as much as possible as I see him breaking off pieces. But should I worry about him actually swallowing little pieces when I'm looking away? I definitely toss them as I see them getting rough though. But now I'm worried he will swallow pieces.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Yes I have seen my small birds swollow platic bits, I remove any plastic toys if they break off pieces. And offer more stuff made out if natural material. My little birds do have some plastic toys, but only those to strong for them to break or chip. You'd think they'd spit it out, but they don't always, some they eat , ugh..

OP
tfw

tfw

Supporting Member
Nov 12, 2018
Parrots
B&G Macaw
Yeah i took away the smaller ones and left the bigger plastic links and I check them regularly. I don't keep them in his cage. His cage has mostly sisal rope toys, wood blocks cardboard dangly things.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Ok...so I made sure to get bird safe plastic chains. He LOVES to chew on them obviously. He breaks off pieces. I've been sneaking them out of his mouth as much as possible as I see him breaking off pieces. But should I worry about him actually swallowing little pieces when I'm looking away? I definitely toss them as I see them getting rough though. But now I'm worried he will swallow pieces.

I would get bigger links--they sell really wide ones made of extremely thick plastic. If he is breaking them, I would find something else or get a sturdier version...Mine often chews off tiny fragments of the plastic and it covers her cage-bottom like confetti..That having been said, it does worry me because I wonder sometimes if she is spitting all of the crumbs of plastic out. Thankfully, she doesn't usually chew on them like this...mostly twiddles them around and links/unlinks them.

OP
tfw

tfw

Supporting Member
Nov 12, 2018
Parrots
B&G Macaw
The big ones I left for him are these ones:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C5SPB9Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They seem to hold up rather well and I haven't had to toss any from chewing yet. The smaller ones I tossed already (these ones: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C5SPB9Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Those he loved and just chewed them quickly. These were not in his cage. They were just on the gym where he was always supervised.

Most Reactions