Babble and Jabber

JDlugosz

Jun 25, 2013
Parrots
Bronze Wing Pionus
Diamond, just 4 months around this date, still makes various noises which I believe is just learning how to make various noises.

When we visit the bird center, he has a ball and is very noisy. He can imitate some simple cheeps, and can get in a shouting match with the Macaws! Even in the car, I hear strange sounds coming from him.

But at home, he's usually quiet, or sticks to plain peep when Tao's in the kitchen and bok! when he drops his toy out of reach.

But when nobody is around, especially if I have some sound playing for him, I hear him doing more vocalizations. I want to encourage that and help him develop.

Diamond has his own stereo near the cage :)

I've played birdsounds I found on YouTube, and a couple different recordings of South Pacific. Tao thinks that playing "Hello" for half an hour will help him learn to talk. Is that right?

Anyway, I mentioned earlier that he seemed to be trying to sing Dites-moi in getting a few recognisable notes and the timing. It's hard to explain, but he is responding to that motif with interest now.

So, we recorded a simple melody of the song, using a digital keyboard set to "Flute" which means it doesn't entirely not resemble the sound of a flute. He seems to like it, along with our humming/whistling of the tune.

I'll make a playlist with suitable things, and play on shuffle. So I'll use short segments from the long works. I can also remix, which might be interesting.

Any thoughts?

—John

Last edited:

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Goffin Too, U2, Scarlet Mac, B&G Mac, DYH Zon, CAG and a
Birdbrained Wife!
Just keep working with him and give him time. He is just a baby and like a human baby he has to learn how that voice thing works. Soon you won't be able to shut him up!!

Most Reactions