Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I would assume so, how amazing is that!!!
Thank you for sharing, I don't breed and haven't ever seen this before:)

OP
HowdyDoDee

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
I’m not a breeder either but my little rabbits of the sky have their own ideas. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 🐦 🐰 🐣
If all goes well, we should have hatching chicks in about 2 weeks.

It’s like witnessing a miracle, no doubt. Regardless of the outcome, it’s absolutely incredible to see- the eggs, and the parents. I wish Twila would let me give her a sitz bath! Poor gal. All those eggs… uff da. The only evidence of discomfort is her poops- they’re like medium parrot poops after delivering an egg, not mini birb poops as usual.

My little honey girl! She’s going to be a good momma. She doesn’t mind - maybe even expects and likes- my help, but I’m truly just here to support her with a safe environment and a variety of nutritious food. Thank goodness that all is well, for the most part, so far. And she’s eating some different foods! Toby is so sweet by her side. He hasn’t entered the nest box, not sure if he will. She may not let him. She’s in charge. 😁

Here’s a look inside her self-selected nest box. She loved the Ole kabob almost right away when I brought it home, which is rare. She started hollowing it out so fast! So I added it to the nest, for her beaking and nesting convenience. ☺️ The water dish/bath is a repurposed microwave meal container. Healthy Choice cafe steamers uses packaging that is perfect for that. (Although the meal I tried tasted like cardboard… maybe the next one will be better. At least the packaging is good for something other than a landfill!) We still have some newspaper shreds as bedding, will be transitioning that slowly over the next week or so.

Tess will need to be secure in her cage when I am not there to supervise. So far she hasn’t misbehaved, but I understand I am supposed to keep her separate from the parents. They’re their own flock though, so it’s easier said than done.

Happy New Year! (Almost)

Laura

Attachments

• 53DB92D0-1D66-472D-A510-F773BCCB6521.jpeg
    53DB92D0-1D66-472D-A510-F773BCCB6521.jpeg
    258.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 82728217-D0AE-48EE-99D7-E5A135DC1A53.jpeg
    82728217-D0AE-48EE-99D7-E5A135DC1A53.jpeg
    289.1 KB · Views: 39

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
What you’re seeing is the vasculature inside the egg. And I bet you can see the heartbeat if you look carefully.

How fun!
——-

Aha! I didn’t realize that was a video! Yes, in the central reddish spot in the egg, you can see it expand and contract with the heartbeat. That spot is going to be the heart.

Last edited:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Momma bird has been sitting on her eggs now for just over a week. She laid a seventh egg overnight/early this am. Seeing some vascular action in some of the eggs when candling now! This is a heartbeat, correct? 🥰 ❤️ 😍
View attachment 46643
Did any babies hatch? I know how exciting it is to see the baby bird's heartbeat inside the egg! Even more exciting is hearing the baby bird peeping inside the shell right before hatching because suddenly its so real- there's an actual bird inside the egg! Tell us about your new babies!

Most Reactions

Latest posts