Baby Blue Quaker!!!

OP
P

palmetto941

Nov 14, 2013
Tecumseh, MI
Parrots
Cosmo-Blue Quaker born 11/11/2013; Mattie-Green Quaker born 3/2010; Tiki, Timneh African Grey, RIP 11/2017; Pogo, Congo African Gray
I think we found the name: Cosmo !!!! Thank You Bruce V.!!!!

Blueridge

Sep 16, 2013
North Carolina
Parrots
Rocky - Yellow-Faced Quaker Parrot
The best diet for a Quaker of course would consist of pellets, fresh fruits & vegetables, and seeds/whatever else for treats.

You can start working with him the first day you get him if you want. It all depends on how the bird takes to you. If he's pretty chill around you then there is no reason to wait.

Medium-sized bird perches/toys are ideal. There are lots of good toys. Don't give him small-bird toys meant for a parakeet as he may choke on small parts. I have been warned against toys with chains on them as well.

Anywho, Quaker Parrots are awesome birds! They are sooo smart and lovable. Mine learned a bunch of tricks the first week that I had him. He had already built up quite an impressive vocabulary within the first couple of months. The quaker parrot's talking ability rivals that of the African Grey, especially if it's a male. And they are very very affectionate. I just taught mine to lay on his back in the palm of my hand. He's cute. You'll love your quaker parrot, too. Good luck!

OP
P

palmetto941

Nov 14, 2013
Tecumseh, MI
Parrots
Cosmo-Blue Quaker born 11/11/2013; Mattie-Green Quaker born 3/2010; Tiki, Timneh African Grey, RIP 11/2017; Pogo, Congo African Gray
Meet Cosmo!!! My male blue quaker! The video the breeder made is the actual bird I'll be receiving! Now to set up the shipping......

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88-YNP8Pfu4&feature=youtu.be"]Cosmo - YouTube[/ame]

OP
P

palmetto941

Nov 14, 2013
Tecumseh, MI
Parrots
Cosmo should be here Friday!!!! Hatch date was 11-11-13
He has been on a cockatiel feed with 1 tbs. mixed veggies on top. Any suggestions to what and at what age he should be switched to adult food? And what is the adult food he should be having??? Breeder has handled Cosmo quite a bit and recommends handling asap! I'm ready!!!

JadeC

Apr 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
Parrots
White bellied caique
I would keep him on the same diet for a few months while he gets settled in. Keeping him on the same diet may help the transition since he's going into a new home with new people, but his food is familiar to him. Fruits and veggies are always good to feed your bird, so I would keep him eating those while he's young and willing to try new things. Also, pellets are good to introduce young. You might have to try a few different brands and do your research on which one you see is good for your bird. My theory is any pellet your bird will eat is a good pellet. Pellets along with fruit and veggies and some sprouts is a good, well balanced diet. Most birds like nutriberries and they are a great pellet food. Main thing is to make sure they're getting enough water and food the first few days, so I'd feed whatever he'll eat the first week or so, so he doesn't lose weight.

I hope this helps!!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
6 more days, Jo!!!! How exciting is this?? :D I am SO happy for all of you, for you, for Cosmo, AND for Bruce.

I agree with Jade about transitioning him slowly when you change diets. Let him adjust to his new home first, get used to everyone and everything. :)

OP
P

palmetto941

Nov 14, 2013
Tecumseh, MI
Parrots
Yeah....I can't wait!!! Bruce & I plan on working asap on Cosmo's socialization....don't want him to be like the birds we've been working with... :) Simba is trusting us more all the time and has bonded with Bruce. Blue Jeans is getting more comfortable around hands and is making huge progress finally.....huge for her anyway..... Cricket (aka Betty) the cockatiel will be able to move in about 2 weeks from now!!! Harley the 2yr old lab and Binx the 2yr old Maine Coon kitteh have been adjusting nicely..... It's a happy home for critters!!!! Now it's the wait for everything to fall into place....& I apparently don't have patience for.....lol Wish my cage was here so I could at least set it up and ......ahhhhh......6 more days!!!!!

JadeC

Apr 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
Parrots
White bellied caique
Haha so exciting!! I can feel your excitement in your words!!! I know I was excited to get my baby and now I can't be happier!

OP
P

palmetto941

Nov 14, 2013
Tecumseh, MI
Parrots
Haha so exciting!! I can feel your excitement in your words!!! I know I was excited to get my baby and now I can't be happier!

I can't wait to be happier!!!! OOOOOhhhhhh......6 days is a loooong time!!!

OP
P

palmetto941

Nov 14, 2013
Tecumseh, MI
Parrots
Bruce is the toy maker....so.....I have a few things ordered/hoping he'll make for me! Starting with a shower perch, playstand and of course toys! I ordered seamats from the Bird Store to make foraging fun....and whiffle balls.....and a couple of maracas/baby rattles......couple of hanging toys......a cotton rope perch....shell perches....cholla perch......they were out of vine balls......plastic chain.....a boing......some porcupine balls.....and the portable perch/trainer.....BTW....got a couple of whiffle balls and seamats for Simba too......and extra seamats so Cricket & Blue Jeans won't feel left out..... Stainless bowls for Cosmos cage....

OP
P

palmetto941

Nov 14, 2013
Tecumseh, MI
Parrots
I still can't find the thread of the cage set-ups that everyone has done....for small, medium and large birds.......If you can find it I'd really appreciate it!

OP
P

palmetto941

Nov 14, 2013
Tecumseh, MI
Parrots
Flight arrangements have been made....Cosmo will be here Friday evening... :D
The cage arrived today. We assembled it....but it's not anything near what we were expecting. I have no choice but to use it till the second cage we ordered arrives. This time it's a King's Cage...flight cage. The prevue hendryx flight cage was waaaay to flimsy. The food/water doors don't latch but spring shut but not always. The 2 small front doors don't connect with each other and don't latch shut but use a strange hook thing and one fell off one of the doors. The metal wires don't look like they are strong enough to hold the stainless dishes or the perches when they arrive. Hoping the King's Cage gets here soon!!! I can't wait to send the Prevue Hendryx one back.....

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh gosh...I'm so sorry the cage is such a disappointment. :eek:

Cosmo will be fine in it until you get the other one. That is a FANTASTIC looking cage you ordered from Kings!!!

And...only 4 days left. :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts