Baby Broccoli

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I can tell the med routine is decaying his trust a bit - he didn’t want to sit with me as much today, but he still let me do them without a towel and with only a little bit of following him around the room.

However, he still climbed into my lap for our evening wrestle session, where he rolls around on his back and chirps and chews on my fingers! It’s incredible to me that such a small, fragile creature can possess such a great well of trust. I can only hope I’m deserving.

His eye is looking better and his eyelid is no longer swelling to the point that he’s squinting. Hopefully whatever it was is . taken care of by all the meds.
It is truly amazing how much our birds can trust us. I raised my budgie Rocky in hopes that she would be self confident and not scared of new people, places and things. I must say she is as close to fearless as a bird could be and seems to believe that there's no threat her beak can't take care of!

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
IMG_0794.jpeg

When you try to take a photo for the vet!

It’s looking dry and scaly instead of red and swollen! Hopefully that’s progress.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
So, Broccoli has this little ring toss toy. And he's bored, because I just set up a planted aquarium tank and my mom and sister in law have been in town, and I am just trying to relax and wind down and watch plants grow...

So he throws a ring from the toy onto the floor.

"Broccoli, are you bored?"

Little dude throws THE ENTIRE TOY ON THE FLOOR, from the top of his cage. I'm cackling. He is such a character. I am so glad I waited out the anxiety, he's a perfect fit for our crazy little family.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
So, Broccoli has this little ring toss toy. And he's bored, because I just set up a planted aquarium tank and my mom and sister in law have been in town, and I am just trying to relax and wind down and watch plants grow...

So he throws a ring from the toy onto the floor.

"Broccoli, are you bored?"

Little dude throws THE ENTIRE TOY ON THE FLOOR, from the top of his cage. I'm cackling. He is such a character. I am so glad I waited out the anxiety, he's a perfect fit for our crazy little family.
Ring toss is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more fun when you can chuck the whole thing off your cage and watch your hoooooooman go pick it up for you again, and do it again, and do it again, right Broccoli??

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Ring toss is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more fun when you can chuck the whole thing off your cage and watch your hoooooooman go pick it up for you again, and do it again, and do it again, right Broccoli??

And again, and again...

As a bonus, one of his other hoomans came in and he got them to "play" too. :LOL:

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
@ravvlet I put some of these up in my sunroom! Ona hit the window again on Thursday. She always hits this same spot so I’m hoping these will fix the problem. You can see a seam because I’m a dummy and used two pieces instead of ordering the larger size.

IMG_4922.jpeg

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
They had a wider size?! I guess I’m a dummy too, I did the same thing. :LOL:

Broccoli, who LITERALLY JUST GOT THE ALL CLEAR FROM THE VET, has another abscess looking thing on his eye. Which I see, of course, an hour after his vet closes. I am already super frazzled today so now I’m just enjoying a full blown panic. Little dude seems fully unphased.

Googling gives me nothing. It’s the same eye but a different spot - and he’s on TWO broad spectrum antibiotics, an oral and a topical, and has been on them for over a week. What on earth is going on?

image1.jpeg

I need him to stop doing this to me, I’m losing my mind, haha…

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh @ravvlet, I'm sorry this is happening - again!! Good thing he doesn't seem to be bothered by it, but yeah it's enough to make a parront craaayyyyzzzzeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! 😢🤯😵‍💫😵

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
His weight and body condition are great, and all his molted feathers are back in and he looks fantastic - its just the eye thing. I suspect we are in for some pricey biopsies this week, but I'd rather spend the money and know what the heck is going on than keep shooting in the dark.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
IMG_0864.jpeg

Mystery abscess is already almost gone- no idea what’s going on. Broccoli really likes the fish tank we added to the room though! I did put cord protectors on everything I could, haha.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
View attachment 54596

Mystery abscess is already almost gone- no idea what’s going on. Broccoli really likes the fish tank we added to the room though! I did put cord protectors on everything I could, haha.
Fantastic!! Guess the antibiotics and various meds he's on are working for him in the background? Whatever it is, that's great news and I'm so happy for you and your little guy!!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
They had a wider size?! I guess I’m a dummy too, I did the same thing. :LOL:

Broccoli, who LITERALLY JUST GOT THE ALL CLEAR FROM THE VET, has another abscess looking thing on his eye. Which I see, of course, an hour after his vet closes. I am already super frazzled today so now I’m just enjoying a full blown panic. Little dude seems fully unphased.

Googling gives me nothing. It’s the same eye but a different spot - and he’s on TWO broad spectrum antibiotics, an oral and a topical, and has been on them for over a week. What on earth is going on?

View attachment 54560

I need him to stop doing this to me, I’m losing my mind, haha…
Perhaps it's a viral condition that will just run its own course. I can't imagine what kind of bacteria can continue to grow with all those antibiotics on board.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
71773922333__1EDCE241-7C7F-4D07-B6F7-204003F12D06.jpeg

Playing the sims with Brocc and the kiddos- Broccoli thinks we have too many horses and not enough birds!

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
How is the eye problem doing?
The new bump is completely gone so I think he just may have hit a toy - he flies a ton in his cage and I change the layout up often enough that he might have had an accident while I wasn’t in the room!

The original area still has some faint signs that he’d had an issue but otherwise looks great, and his last day of antibiotics is today.

In the mean time I’m going to make an appointment for Kirby, because he is somehow gaining weight even on reduced pellets/no beans chop and almost no treats, and I’m worried it’s a heart related issue (heart issues can cause water retention and increased weight) and I’d like to discuss how we can get his weight back down because I am hesitant to cut down his pellets further.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Ah, teenagers.

My 11 year old yelled at me all morning before school, and now my sweet green baby goblin is randomly screaming at me from downstairs.

I did this to myself. :LOL: In his limited defense, I’ve forgotten lately to wait at the door until he stops yelling to go back in the room, especially if I was only leaving to use the restroom or to grab something work related, so I think I have accidentally reinforced the behavior.

At least the neighbors don’t seem to be able to hear him, and it’s cold now so the windows are all shut!

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Oof, we have definitely entered our “always scream, never not scream” era. He’s quiet in the AM but come 1:30pm he’s off for the races! Thankfully a treat and conversation seems to satisfy him. I’ve set up aquariums in his room and spend loads of time puttering around down there, so it’s not usually an issue.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Oof, we have definitely entered our “always scream, never not scream” era. He’s quiet in the AM but come 1:30pm he’s off for the races! Thankfully a treat and conversation seems to satisfy him. I’ve set up aquariums in his room and spend loads of time puttering around down there, so it’s not usually an issue.
That's interesting, with my guys it's a scream-fest in the morning and afternoon and they're usually snoozing around the middle of the day. Or any time I might want to have a snooze during the day, they scream then too :rolleyes:

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
That's interesting, with my guys it's a scream-fest in the morning and afternoon and they're usually snoozing around the middle of the day. Or any time I might want to have a snooze during the day, they scream then too :rolleyes:

I think it’s because he’s finished with his food and bored, LOL. They get breakfast when I wake them up (chop) and then a couple hours after they get lunch (pellets) which stay in their cage all day. Once he is bored or done with the novelty of his pellets being present, he is ready for attention!

Most Reactions