Baby Budgies moves to open box in cage

rbtlyn

Aug 24, 2017
Media
Hi
I have a question that I hope someone can answer for me. I am trying to breed a pair of my Budgies, I have done extensive research on the internet, reading books and watching videos and now hoping to get more with this forum.
My question is this. I have noticed in a lot of the videos I have watched that babies are no longer in a nest box but they appear to have been moved to a open box inside the cage with the parents. Is this what should be done and if so at what age? I have been unable to find the answer anywhere.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I would personally just stick with letting them be in the nest box and open it up to take a look every now and then, the babies should come out on their own steam (or with a push from mom and dad)

Silversage is probably one of the top people to ask about this as they are a ringneck breeder and I believe have some experience with budgies, Reeb too would be a good port of call as they know quite a lot about budgies

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
yeah reeb should be on later today, I'd trust his advice/knowledge on with this.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
babies are no longer in a nest box but they appear to have been moved to a open box inside the cage with the parents. Is this what should be done and if so at what age? I have been unable to find the answer anywhere.

If I'm not mistaken it is is to help chicks wean from box to cage, basically like taking baby steps. As babies grow feathers and can regulate their own temperatures they no longer need the big nesting box and instead a smaller box is used to be that in-between adjustment.

With my parent-raised clutch of cockatiels I did this - not budgies but same prinicple - after the first two babies left the nestbox on their own and the rest of the 3 remaining babies had feathers I took out the nestbox and placed them in a smaller, open box filled with their bedding, basically it helps them adjust to the cage life. They will sleep in the box and while weaning learn to perch and eventually learn to sleep on perches and the box is then abandoned altogether, ta-da adjusted weaned babies.

Last edited:

Most Reactions