Baby crow

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Today while coming home from the beach I saw a funky pine cone, right after passing I relized it was a baby crow and I exclaimed "BABY BIRD" as I pulled to the side of the road and backed up the car some(no other cars around at the time). I was very concerned because of the birds location, it was on the side of a very well used main road with a small dirt side with ever green trees. only a few feet of dirt, and the crow was sitting in the bicycle lane!

It was not a safe situation. With his parents yelling bloody murder I picked him up and found he was extremely skinny. Getting home I called up my falconer friend who said the parents get scared of all the cars and are unable to feed their fallen babies properly because of their fear. He told me mix dog food with some hard boiled egg, water, and pedilight and feed him some to hopefully hold him through the night.

He doesn't look to hot, when I was hand feeding him the mixture I got a little on his beak and a small maggot like parasitic was eating it from his beak! SO creepy and very scary! Tomorrow morning I'm taking him to a wild life rehab center, I hope they'll be able to release him.

Walking inside with him still in my sweater. Look at those beautiful blue eyes that distinguish a baby crow from a adult.
9762fecee5f511e2b7fc22000aa821d1_7.jpg

After putting him back in his box he had his wings out for a couple seconds before pulling them in.

4e3ed7bce5f611e2879222000ae9142f_7.jpg

He gets to sleep in the bath tub, don't want him anywhere near Rosie and Kenji. I figured the bath tub would be nice and easy to sanitize.

c7326918e5f611e2a96022000a1fd150_7.jpg

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I never knew they had such beautiful blue eyes!
Super cute!

Good luck with him! I would love a pet crow :p
Thanks :) I'm crossing my fingers he/she makes it through the night. I couldn't tell if he was really weak or just really sleepy because it was late.

Pet crows and Ravens are a lot of work XD I think it might be fun to have one too, I loved watching my friends African raven free fly. But not for a long time lol Unlike parrots they don't share that same crazy long life span so getting a crow or raven in my 30's and even 50's would be fine as I'd still outlive them.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
If his parents were there screaming at you what was the purpose of separating him from his parents?

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
If his parents were there screaming at you what was the purpose of separating him from his parents?

The parents are too afraid of the cars to feed fallen babies, as copper mentioned :)

@ Copper, my breeder has pied african crows for sale, at $1,999, not a bad price. I have so much respect for my breeder, he breeds hyacinths and palms... :11:

You know you are a bird person when you base your respect of a person (with birds) on how they raise their bird ;)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
How is the baby, Ashley? I hope he made it!! Thank you for rescuing him. I love crows & ravens with a passion. Such incredibly smart animals! :)

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
How is the baby, Ashley? I hope he made it!! Thank you for rescuing him. I love crows & ravens with a passion. Such incredibly smart animals! :)

Sadly he died late last night. He was just too weak & debydrated, unbelievably skinny, and I have no idea the extent of those parasites. I wonder if I should have just left him alone if he was going to pass away anyway, but I'd rather he died peacefully in his sleep than hit by a car or bike.

He was much too easy to capture, and didn't fight what so ever. Poor baby, I'm so sorry this happened to him, if only he hadn't fallen onto a main road the parents might of been able to take proper care of him :(

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
AAAWWW :( So sorry to hear he didn't make it.

You did the right thing by taking him home. At least you offered him a chance, unfortunately it wasn't meant to be. :(

Grinder

Jan 26, 2013
East Coast, U.S.
Parrots
Military Macaw - 'Lady",
GW Macaw - "Jazzy"
I agree with Wendy. His final hours were spent in relative peace. He knew he was safe with you. The alternative would have been him lying on the side of the road with loud cars flying by and his parents constantly crying out in frustration, further stressing the baby out.

Sometimes (many times) there isn't much we can do in these situations, but make the final moments alive as peaceful as possible.

Please make sure to sterilize everything so your own babies don't get sick from anything. (I know you were already thinking this - just a friendly reminder).

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
That's unfortunate...sorry to hear.....he might of had internal injury from the fall....poor baby...you did your best.... :(

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Aw, sorry to hear about the baby passing. :(

Least you got him some grub and kept him warm and safe in his final hours. Big hugs!

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Oh no!! D: Im really sorry!! :( But you did the right thing letting it sleep peacefully in a nice warm quiet place rather then a loud cold place! I bet it was probably the magots and weakness that killed it.

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Thanks for your support everyone. It was really sad to see he hadn't made it; I'm glad I made the right decision taking him home.

I made sure to sanitize everything really well to protect Rosie and Kenji

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
I teared up a bit when i heard the crow died :( You made the baby SO happy in his final hours of life. I'm happy Kenji and Rosie are safe though, I would take them to the vet to make sure they didn't catch a parasite!

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I teared up a bit when i heard the crow died :( You made the baby SO happy in his final hours of life. I'm happy Kenji and Rosie are safe though, I would take them to the vet to make sure they didn't catch a parasite!
Not sure if I made him happy, to him I was probably a predator. I did try to not interact with him much at all to avoid any imprinting, and he had a warm box with soft blankets to sleep in.

I kept the crow well away from my birds, I was told that it was most likely a fly maggot. Because the crow wasn't well, and young birds are aren't great at preening flies will lay eggs on it, and they would have crawled into the nostril were it wasn't as dry. Really freaky, it made my heart stop when I first saw it.

If ANYTHING at all seems off about Kenji or Rosie I will take them to the vet immediately. I was very careful with the crow to avoid any exposure. I didn't even sleep in my room(were the cages are) last night because I didn't want to be near my birds until I had taken a shower.

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
Smart! Once we took in a barn owl, he did make it, but he became imprinted, so he is now in a sanctuary...I wish owls were allowed to be pets in the US, more manageable than the other raptors, and would be great aviary birds (screech owl) :)

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Oh man, reading about parasites and diseases from crows and it brought me to some web site that gave me WAY to much information. Now I want to stay hidden indoors haha.

It was funny, I looked down at my leg and saw some unusual small red spots along a large section and started to freak out. Then I realized it was just a giant abrasion from when a random set of big waves hit me yesterday while at the beach. I was tumbling around under water against the sand.

Smart! Once we took in a barn owl, he did make it, but he became imprinted, so he is now in a sanctuary...I wish owls were allowed to be pets in the US, more manageable than the other raptors, and would be great aviary birds (screech owl) :)
aww, owls can be so sweet! I don't mind them not being pets, it would just be another wild animal the general public aren't equipped to deal with. You can still have a barn owl, you just need a falconers salience or permit. I really like that, people who truly want one will go through the trouble of getting a license, do their apprenticeship, then they can finally get a barn owl. They only cost $400-$700 from a breeder here in America ;)

Last edited:

devid456

Jul 3, 2013
India
Parrots
no
This is good things to save the bird's life its god gift and nature.And you are very kindly save its life.

And i love the crow.than this baby crow its looking cute and nice.

Most Reactions

Latest posts