baby green cheek growth

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
I'm back, again, and this time it is about green cheek growth differences between parent raised and hand fed babies. I just pulled the third baby from the nest yesterday and noticed it was very small. She is at least 22 days old but is the size of the baby I pulled when he was 2 weeks old. Do the parent raised babies progress slower than hand fed ones? The parents were being fed pellets, seed, fruits, veggies, pastas, and egg food mix so I don't know why the third baby would be so small at 3 weeks.
Any advice would be great, thanks.

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Out of curiosity, what mutation is she? I noticed that, for example, pineapple green cheeks are typically smaller than regular and yellow sided.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
I believe that my male is a cinnamon but I'm not 100% sure because he looks similar to some pineapples, so I think she is a cinnamon. My male is in my avatar pic but here is another picture of him.

Last edited:

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
I think cinnamon tend to be smaller, too. It seems that all of the pineapples and cinnamons that I've seen have always been smaller than regulars and yellow sided. I have a one year old pineapple green cheek, and she is tiny! So that may play a difference in size, too. As far as whether there is a difference in hand raised vs. parent- I'm not sure.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Oh well my male is actually thicker than my female.

Roxy_9_2011

Feb 3, 2012
Media
Albums
Michigan
Parrots
Roxy-Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure, Zeus-Turquoise conure, Carlos- YN Amazon & Jazz- GW macaw
I am friends with a breeder and her cinnamon GC babies are definitely smaller than the yellow sided and regular GC conure babies. She didn't tell me why that is...but hope this info helps!

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Well it's not just the size, she is under developed too. She is just starting to get pins.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
I'm back, again, and this time it is about green cheek growth differences between parent raised and hand fed babies. I just pulled the third baby from the nest yesterday and noticed it was very small. She is at least 22 days old but is the size of the baby I pulled when he was 2 weeks old. Do the parent raised babies progress slower than hand fed ones? The parents were being fed pellets, seed, fruits, veggies, pastas, and egg food mix so I don't know why the third baby would be so small at 3 weeks.
Any advice would be great, thanks.

The parent fed baby should be bigger than the hand reared chicks. The only reason for stunting is the parents aren't doing their job. Or there is something wrong with the chick. Could be any number of reasons.

All my GCC'S are the same size, my cinnamons, normals & Pineapples are of good size. So no I don't have any size difference with any of the mutations I have.

Handrearing Problems

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Well they were plucking her a little bit so it would be too far of a stretch to say they weren't feeding her enough.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
When I picked up the baby Cockatiels from my friend's mother, they were under developed too and had blood all over them so they were being pecked at. But they still had food in the crop sac. Comparing them to my babies when I was going through the photos, very very different and under developed. But I also see my female constantly eating mineral block and cuttle bone along with seeds, fruits and veggies, etc etc. She was just chowing them down to feed her babies. I believe what they feed their babies matters! Once I started the two babies on formula, they caught up really quick. It's probably time for you to pull the last chick if you haven't already.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Oh yes I have already pulled the chick, I did on Monday. And the parents seemed to be doing their job, constantly eating food and mineral block/cuttle bone so I just don't know why she is so under developed.
Thanks again to all of you guys, you have been very helpfull.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
It's been a few days, just wondering how your chicks are doing?

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
They are doing great. The little girl that I pulled on Monday acts like a normal 4 week old, she just looks like a 3 week old.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
I will get some more pics as soon as my mom gets home, she has the iphone. My phone is lost so I will have to wait for my mom.
This is the only picture I have right now, it is from Monday when I first pulled the little girl.

Last edited:

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Cdog that 3rd little one i would say is at the right size for its age. She doesn't look at all underdeveloped for a 3 week old chick at all. I am feeding 2 baby sun counres, 1 was 3 weeks old yesterday & the other will be 3 weeks tomorrow & are at the same stage as your youngest.

I will get a pic of them later & post for you to compare.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
No you can only see her head in that pic, she had hardly had any fuzz and only had pins under the skin. She looked like the one I took when he was 2 weeks old. Now she looks like the two I took when they were three weeks but she is 4 weeks old. She is behind a week from where the other two were.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
They are adorable! so glad they are doing well! keep up the good work papa birdie :)

Most Reactions