Baby is not active and doesn’t want to eat

Asli C

Dec 23, 2023
Parrots
Conure (yellow sided turquoise)
Hello. I just brought home a 4 week baby conure 2 days ago. I understand that being introduced to a new environment can be scary but I am a bit worried for his health. He does chew some safe toys and preen himself, however he is shy and he usually doesn’t chirp (he sometimes does but it is very faint) and he doesn’t move around much. He also never wants to be fed.

I try feeding him 3 times a day with 6 hours between each meal at 38-40 degrees celcius with a syringe. He doesn’t want to eat at all even if his crop is empty.
This morning before eating he weighed at 56g

Any advice?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I would bring this unweaned baby back to who ever you got him from. Feeding unweaned babies is a skill set, best done by the breeder.
IF your baby continues to not eat, he will die and pretty quickly.

OP
Asli C

Asli C

Dec 23, 2023
Parrots
I would bring this unweaned baby back to who ever you got him from. Feeding unweaned babies is a skill set, best done by the breeder.
IF your baby continues to not eat, he will die and pretty quickly.
Thank you for this advice. He is eating well and bobs his head up and down when i feed him but he’s not very eager to eat at first. Maybe he’s too shy to eat? Is there anything I can do to make him feel safe?

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I know nothing about this, but... maybe this helps?

Certified Avian Vets
If none are near you...
Avian Veterinarians
In my opinion, any of the vets listed here should be better than a regular vet.
International contacts, too.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Here's a blast from the past... a great thread from Dani. (Dani, where are ya?)

Unweaned weaned not baby

OP
Asli C

Asli C

Dec 23, 2023
Parrots
UPDATE:
He is much more vocal now and calls for food :D He’s also exploring and climbing.
I think he’s getting used to me and the environment.

Last edited:

LoveMyFids

Aug 19, 2023
Hello. I just brought home a 4 week baby conure 2 days ago. I understand that being introduced to a new environment can be scary but I am a bit worried for his health. He does chew some safe toys and preen himself, however he is shy and he usually doesn’t chirp (he sometimes does but it is very faint) and he doesn’t move around much. He also never wants to be fed.

I try feeding him 3 times a day with 6 hours between each meal at 38-40 degrees celcius with a syringe. He doesn’t want to eat at all even if his crop is empty.
This morning before eating he weighed at 56g

Any advice?
No one should be selling a 4 wk. old baby bird to anyone, especially someone who doesn't have experience in formula feeding. It's illegal in some states as well. Good breeders wait until the bird is FULLY weaned & eating 100% solid foods on their own-usually around 4-5 MONTHS depending on the bird. If you are not going to give the bird back & request that they get it fully weaned first & then return to you, you should seriously consult with an avian vet on this because so many things can go super wrong. Baby unweaned birds need a certain temp., their formula needs to be a certain temp., how you house them is also different, feeding amounts, times, what you feed, & the technique you feed is very specific. They can easily aspirate formula & you may not even know it, causing crop infections, lung infections, yeast overgrowth, aspergillosis, & various bacterial overgrowth. Baby birds literally have NO immune system & are super fragile. It also should be completely quarantined from other pets, etc. with no contact & everything cleaned & disinfected daily, hands washed after any contact, etc. & should be taken to an avian vet for blood testing of various diseases, some which humans can contract as well. This is exactly why NO ONE should be getting an unweaned baby bird. Please consult with an avian vet instead of looking online, because what you read online & in forums etc., is usually incomplete info. & sometimes wrong.

Illinoisbirds

Dec 26, 2023
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon, Cockateil
Thank you for this advice. He is eating well and bobs his head up and down when i feed him but he’s not very eager to eat at first. Maybe he’s too shy to eat? Is there anything I can do to make him feel safe?
Are you keeping it warm enough? If they are cold, the body doesn't process the food.

LoveMyFids

Aug 19, 2023
Are you keeping it warm enough? If they are cold, the body doesn't process the food.
That is 100% true. They need to be warm (like reptiles do) to properly digest their food or it can rot & ferment internally. It's very important as normally the parent birds keep them warm, not to mention the regurgitated food they feed them is warm.

OP
Asli C

Asli C

Dec 23, 2023
Parrots
I have been keeping him warm and cozy. It seems that he was just getting used to the new environment. He’s really playful and active now and learning how to fly :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts