Baby is plucking again :(

henry0reilly

Mar 2, 2017
Parrots
YNA (Mad) Max aka Mean Max Green ~2002
Sulfur Crested ‘too Babybird 2015
She's about 5 years old. We took her to the vet 2 years ago when she had plucked her chest bare, changed food, got more regular with feeding and sleep time and she got better.

A month ago I noticed she had plucked a small patch. It is slowly getting bigger and I'm not sure what to do about it. Due to COVID-19 a vet visit is out of the question for at least a month.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Yous sure? We are under lock-down and our vets are still seeing patients.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
that's a hormonal period of time for cockatoos-- make sure you aren't petting anywhere other than the head or neck-- no cuddles or access to bedding, under shelves, dark spaces, huts, blankets, boxes etc. They can all be massive hormone triggers and cause a bird to pluck out of sexual frustration. Also ensure roughly 12 hours of sleep each night (cockatoos need more than most) and make sure that you aren't using chemical cleaners, personal care products or other irritants in the household (candles, sprays, glues, aerosols, scented oils etc).

Side note- please try to get your bird to the vet AT LEAST 1x per year. They should get blood-work and a wellness exam every so often....multiple years in between is a lot to risk.

As always- any change in behavior merits a vet visit. Birds can often pluck areas of their bodies that correspond with internal pain/problems.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
OP
henry0reilly

henry0reilly

Mar 2, 2017
Parrots
YNA (Mad) Max aka Mean Max Green ~2002
Sulfur Crested ‘too Babybird 2015
got some toys

I ordered some toys. They hold cardboard "bagels". I put one directly in Max' cage right away and he has chewed up some of them. I left one outside Baby's cage for a bit, then after I saw she had chewed on it some I moved it inside.

Her bald spot had kept getting bigger but I'm hoping this and trying really hard to give them more quiet time after sundown will help.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
paper can be a trigger for cockatoos....shredding toys, that is....but do make sure you consult a vet.

Cycletim

Mar 22, 2020
Ventura, California
Parrots
Jasper Congo African Grey,
Grover Red bellied parrot RIP 10/20,
Red bellied parrot Rheya
Our new to us grey plucks his chest a little and makes little nests in his cage. So we are trying to only give him wood when he's in his cage with the door closed. After 3 days he is not going for his chest. I'm a carpenter and plenty of poplar wood molding scraps to chew up. We used to give him paper to chew while we was on his own. He still chews the wood but, its very time consuming. Maybe that's keeping him busy...? Hope so good luck

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
I'm sorry to hear this. My male Alexandrine started to pluck this year, out of the blue, when I first saw it I said to my husband (only slightly over-dramatically!) "This is my worst nightmare!". A vet visit later and bloods and the diagnosis is puberty and breeding season, he is about 3.5 years old. I wonder whether your girl is going throughthesame thing? Being a bigger bird she might mature a bit later than an Alexandrine? The vet said it's something he might just do every year. Maybe your girl is the same? He plucked a brood patch, which is almost a rectangle between his legs to his chest. He did bite off the ends of feathers on his shoulders too. He only pulled out the coloured feathers, not the fluffy ones, is this the same for your girl? I thought we had gone through puberty last year, he got very grumpy and bit, but this year there has been none of that behaviour, but the flipping plucking! Did you see amy hormonal behaviour in the years she didn't pluck?

I've managed it by reducing the energy in his diet (no fruits, moving from Harrisons High Potency to Adult), daily misting (I worried at first that this would encourage plucking, but it didn't seem to), sunshine in the outside aviary and using "preening" toys, which I've never done before. I put one on the perch he usually presents on in his cage so that it pretty much had to touch him and I saw him preening it quite a few times. (Fingers crossed) it seemed to stop after about 3 weeks and now he's starting to moult. His sleep was good even before this. He also likes changes so I did a big overhaul of his cage and I've been changing and moving toys more regularly than I was because this doesn't stress him, but it sounds like your girl might not like this as much?

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
Just remembered I have been very strict with his bed time. If he's out in the evening he goes into his cage at 9 and is covered at 9.30, he won't be woken up for at least 12 hours at the weekend and more like 14 in the week. I can hear he's awake sometimes, but he's quiet and I don't uncover him. He now settles down on the cage door just before 9 waiting to be put inside with an almond piece! He used to go to bed himself and occasionally still does, but he more often waits for the almond piece!

Most Reactions