Naples, Florida
Parrots
Bailey ~ b&g macaw
Cash ~ military macaw
Chloe ~ red-fronted macaw
Brooklyn ~ Congo African grey
Jasmine ~ SI eclectus
Princess ~ Patagonian conure
This would most definitely be a white-crowned (a.k.a white-capped) pionus! Mystery solved!

Last edited:
OP
L

LoriP

Jul 18, 2009
Honduras
Parrots
White Cap Pionus "Snoopy"
Gee guys, thanks so much. I really appreciate all your help. I am tentatively accepting your findings with a few reservations. In researching the white capped pionus most everything fits but there are a few that don't. Specifically:
I am trying very hard to define the color of her head as "blue" but it still looks charcoal gray with some green mixed in to me. Also there is no blue or grey on her chest nor is there a white throat patch. Most telling -- one of the things I read said that the crown feathers on a young bird are green edged with white -- my bird's are white edged with yellow.
The descriptions also tell of a "yellow/olive shoulder patch. Her shoulders are quite dark.
I have just realized something else. I see a lot of white peaking through, especially on her chest, which I had assumed was down (of which she still has some, especially her sides under her wings.) On closer examination I have realized that the inner parts of her feathers are white, with the color starting about halfway out. When she bends her head forward, or I ruffel her feathers, the white is very apparent.

Now I have another problem -- she has just started losing feathers from her head. Mostly the white patch (starting from the nares back), but also a patch is missing from the dark part. Could this be a normal molt or should I be worried.

Finally -- Missi --Thanks for the PS. WE think she is adorable but it is nice to have independent confirmation. And if you think she is cute now, take a look at the album I just posted called "Baby Snoopy" at http://picasaweb.google.com/HFPollard

LoriP

Missi

Jul 31, 2009
Naples, Florida
Parrots
Bailey ~ b&g macaw
Cash ~ military macaw
Jasmine ~ SI eclectus
Hello again Lori! Please keep in mind that baby parrots are often born with dull colors & brighten with each molt. They may even get new colors as they mature. For example, my red-fronted macaw was all dull green when I got her at 2.5 months old. Now at a year & a half, she is shimmering deep lime green with red on her forehead & orange on her legs, chest & shoulders...& will get even more color with in the first 10 years of her life! Try to maybe search Google for photosm of baby Pionus'!

The new photos of Snoopy absolutely melted my heart, Lori! MORE PLEASE :21:

Missi

Jul 31, 2009
Naples, Florida
Parrots
Bailey ~ b&g macaw
Cash ~ military macaw
Jasmine ~ SI eclectus
Oops! Lori, do you have any photos of the feather-loss. It sounds like a typical baby molt, but give us some photos so we may be sure.

OP
L

LoriP

Jul 18, 2009
Honduras
Parrots
Will try to get photos a bit later and get them up tomorrow. Still have no idea how to resize them to make them acceptable to this site so will have to post them to the picasa site -- hope that's OK. Will elt you know when they are posted. thanks yet again,

LP

OP
L

LoriP

Jul 18, 2009
Honduras
Parrots
OK, pictures are at the same place Picasa Web Albums - HFPollard. Had a little trouble getting her to hold still for the "shoot", so she is in several "venues" as hubby chased us around with the camera. Hope they are clear enough to see what you need to. The feather loss is the area above her beak between her eyes, and a spot behind her right eye

BTW there does not seem to be a lot of pionus info out there.
LP

Missi

Jul 31, 2009
Naples, Florida
Parrots
Bailey ~ b&g macaw
Cash ~ military macaw
Jasmine ~ SI eclectus
Hmm...My eclectus parrot went through a heavy molt & looked like that when she was younger. Can you see new feathers (pin feathers) growing in at all?

Lori, I am going to send you a message to your inbox. It is in the upper right-hand corner of the website.

Most Reactions

Latest posts