Baby parrotlet at 5 weeks old

Tburd613

Dec 11, 2023
Parrots
Parrotlet
I’m new to owning birds. This is my second parrotlet. I purchased him through a wholesaler out of Innisfil Ontario. He was five weeks old when I got him. He was lively and getting to know our family well. When he was about 7-8 weeks old I bought him a nesting coconut from Walmart and placed him in it at night. When I woke up in the morning, he was in the same position I left him in, barely alive and hardly breathing. He ended up dying. I don’t understand why? I’m so sad 😞 Does anyone have any insight about what went wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_8011.jpeg
    IMG_8011.jpeg
    249 KB · Views: 9

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hello. I feel your pain and many of us do, having had a much loved parrot die unexpectedly. It does happen. However some of your post made me think perhaps you are not that experienced with parrots. What was yours eating on an everyday basis? Was he exposed to any of the DANGEROUS things: teflon fumes, sented candles, excessive cooking smoke, house plants or foods on the danger list.

Note: giving any parrot a nesting place is just asking for hormonal behavior, in the future.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Hi there. First I'm so sorry for your loss. That's heartbreaking.

It's hard to know for sure but my suspicion is that your baby wasn't fully weaned at 5 weeks old, and if he was he was JUST weaned and regressed when his whole life changed by going home with you. My girl came home at 7 weeks and that was the earliest her breeder would let her go after she'd been weaned and had not had formula for a full week (maybe two?). Even then, she gave me a printed list of signs of regression with what to do should I see them and that I could and should call her with any concerns.

Beyond that, Wrench already mentioned the other common causes like teflon/nonstick coatings.

Again, I'm so sorry you went through that.

Most Reactions

Latest posts