Baby swallowed feed tube

RoseDave

Jan 23, 2015
Bushkill,Pa...The Poconos
Parrots
Wally our Cockatoo. Jemma our baby girl Sun. Jezzy our male Sun. Lucyfer our male Genday.
Feeding our baby Jemma last night, She pulled the plastic feeding tube off of the syringe and seems to have swallowed it. I say "seems" because it happend so fast, one second it was there and in a split second it wasnt. Its nowhere to be found so I am sure she swallowed it. She seems fine as of now and ate as usual this morning. I know this cant be good though but problem is I live in the Boonies and there are NO Avian Vets anywhere close. Any suggestions? Anyone else come into this situation?

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
How long is this feeding tube, what size/gauge is it and what species of bird is Jemma? The mechanics of a bird's digestive system makes me think, based on what you posted, that your bird did not ingest the feeding tube.....I'd say it's somewhere around where you were feeding or has been usurped by your dog, if you have one.....is this a stiff tube or extremely flexible?

Good luck.....

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
How long is this feeding tube, what size/gauge is it and what species of bird is Jemma? The mechanics of a bird's digestive system makes me think, based on what you posted, that your bird did not ingest the feeding tube.....I'd say it's somewhere around where you were feeding or has been usurped by your dog, if you have one.....is this a stiff tube or extremely flexible?

Good luck.....

Which, reading between the lines, is a polite way of saying that if this had actually been the case, your bird would most likely be in extremely critical condition by now...

If the baby is fine, it likely didn't happen, and in any case, the baby most likely would have choked on it immediately...

AND THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I DON'T LIKE HAND FEEDING...

OP
RoseDave

RoseDave

Jan 23, 2015
Parrots
Wally our Cockatoo. Jemma our baby girl Sun. Jezzy our male Sun. Lucyfer our male Genday.
Jemma is a 7 wk old Sun Conure. The tube is about 1 1/2" long plastic tube that attaches onto the syringe and kind of comes to a point. I never used a tube on my other 2 Conures but was suggested to us to do so. NEVER AGAIN. Actually I think I can feel it. I was informed to let crop empty completely and try to work it back up.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
If you can feel it in the crop which it is VERY possible for babies to swallow that tubing which is why I have never used a tube and I have fed many,many babies over 25 years. It cannot stay in the crop of course and they can not pass it but you are not qualified to get it out you really need to get this baby to an avian vet no matter how far you have to drive.:(

If you try to work it back up it is a very real possibility that you could perforate the crop and kill this baby!

OP
RoseDave

RoseDave

Jan 23, 2015
Parrots
Update. Just got back from the Vet and Jemma is doing good. Doc had to Gas Her and was able to work the tube out. I've never used a tube on our other Conures when feeding them but Jemma's Breeder suggested it. Tell Ya what...NEVER will I use a tube again. Yes it was easier and seemed a bit better for the Baby but its not worth it. Please spread the word on the dangers of a tube.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
I am so glad you got her to the vet, this could have ended very badly!

The only breeders I know of that use feeding tubes on the syringes are LAZY breeders because the feeding can be done faster, it is not better for the baby. It's like not chewing your food, food SHOT into their crops in essence doesn't make for a good feeding experience for the baby.

OP
RoseDave

RoseDave

Jan 23, 2015
Parrots
Thx Iabell. Yea I wished I never listened to the Breeder. Our Breeder that we got our other Conures from does not use a tube. Should have stuck with Her way right off.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
It also increases the dangers of overfilling the crop, and asphyxiation!!!

Hand feeding is not as easy as it seems...

I am so glad this turned out so well. This is one of those scenarios where I was really suspecting the worst...

I am also really glad you decided to go see an ACV... rather than chancing a crop perforation.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I am so glad you got her to the vet, this could have ended very badly!

The only breeders I know of that use feeding tubes on the syringes are LAZY breeders because the feeding can be done faster, it is not better for the baby. It's like not chewing your food, food SHOT into their crops in essence doesn't make for a good feeding experience for the baby.

I honestly don't know any that do... but then, I don't get involved in breeding issues much. Mostly behavioral.

Most Reactions

Latest posts