Baby tiel hatching way ahead of schedule!

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Nakiska,

You must pick them up gently that's all. The smallest to pick up was the finches and Beth knows how tiny they are to pick up.....

Update,

My other baby hatched out at 10 days....I'm just quite surprised, my partner says I must of messed up on the date but I'm pretty positive that I didn't. I write them down on the calendar the day they lay the egg with the mother's name by the date and I circle the day it was laid and I count 19 days from the day it was laid to find the hatch day. Scooter laid her first egg on 2/13/14, 2/15/14, 2/17/14, and 2/19/14 and the actual hatch date was supposed to be starting around 3/4/14. But hatch date are as follows 2/24/14, 2/26/14, 2/27/14, and the last one will hatch out by 3/1/14 as he pipped today, so it's 11, 11, 10, and 10 days. My partner says I messed up on the dates perhaps. I know Juliet finishing laying her eggs a week in advance before Scooter. I marked everything on the calendar but my partner seem to think I marked the wrong date which I don't really think so as I'm a perfectionist. I take every baby's picture the day they hatch and I know who is who's baby. Plus I do daily misting of the eggs and I know I haven't mist Scooter's eggs that long.

Juliet laid 5 eggs as the first was a dud, so the second egg was on 2/1/14, then 2/3/14, 2/5/14, and 2/7/14 and hatching at 2/18/14, 2/20/14, 2/21/14/ and 2/23/14. So it was 17, 17, 16, and 16 days.

Next time I'm gonna take pictures of the eggs to have a proper document and IF they do hatch out early I'm gonna send some sort of article and pictures to NCS and places like it.

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
congrats Mikey- that is the best isn't it?

Beth,

What's the earliest hatch time frame for you???

mother natures time;)

Beth,

I tried looking up to find if there's anyone else that had this happened. There's one breeder says depending on the temperature they can hatch a few days early at 17 days. But in the past my earliest hatching was 15 days which was ahead of schedule, they start pipping a few days prior to hatching so that one started pipping at 13 days. There is not any information that I can find that anyone else have the similar incidence.

Mishcka

Feb 11, 2014
Nashville
Parrots
Cookatoo
That has to be the cutest thing ever ! Its so small do you handfeed it ? or does the mother feed it ? I would just sit and look at it all day LOL :21:

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I start hand feeding at two weeks old! :)

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
OMG!!!!!! It's so fluffy and adorable! *Squueeee*
Can I have it?! Pweese! I'll take good care of it... D:

But serioulsy, how do you resist not just cuddling them and not letting them go? Haha.

The earliest I've ever had a bird hatching was 16 days. It was a chicken, and the normal hatch date is 18-24 days (21 days is the standard though). It sure was odd! That is odd though.

You should totally Send in photos and documentation to get an article :D

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
This is their last batch for the year so these two pairs won't be breeding til next year....I haven't decided yet if I want to setup two more pairs to start or not. I'm gonna start to get really busy soon with the spring coming up so I gotta do yard work and all....This winter have been harsh on my garden as I lost many plants that I'm gonna have to dig up......But next time I will take pictures of the eggs so I have proper documentation and facts. If this happens again I will write an article on it.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Mike, you have such darling little birds. That itsy little bit of fluff and it's parents story is so sweet. Thank you for sharing.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Beth,

What's the earliest hatch time frame for you???

mother natures time;)

Beth,

I tried looking up to find if there's anyone else that had this happened. There's one breeder says depending on the temperature they can hatch a few days early at 17 days. But in the past my earliest hatching was 15 days which was ahead of schedule, they start pipping a few days prior to hatching so that one started pipping at 13 days. There is not any information that I can find that anyone else have the similar incidence.

I think you just might have a hidden secret, I would surely document it every time you have a clutch and see compare results.

I have conures sitting on eggs, but they are l little more protective. I was going to try your method to see what happens....next time I will try it with my cockatiels, and I'll let you know.

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I always write down everything so I have record of all the babies. I just needed a picture or a video of when they were laid.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Wow SO tiny!! :) I love seeing that.
Since I don't breed, and otherwise have never been around bird nests or eggs, everytime I see eggs or a new chick I'm like a little kid seeing something for the first time. It's fascinating to me.

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Watching them hatching is the most fascinating thing I've ever seen. If I catch them at the right time I've had one hatched out in my hand kicking the shells off and roll out into my hand. :)

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
20140302_212500_zpsayaaqrhq.jpg

This little guy hatched out 3/2/14, was supposed to hatch out on 3/1/14 but on 2/28/14 I look inside the box to check like I usually do and I couldn't find the baby nor the egg. I started frantically digging around in the bedding to find the baby's remains or the egg. The egg was buried underneath the bedding and ice cold. No peeping or new pipping, I thought he must of died from not being incubated but I placed the egg back with the other hatchlings and the parents start sitting on it and they warmed it up nicely. I checked it again before I went to bed, still no sign of movement. So on the 1st I checked the egg again and he started to have a faint peep and more pipping. Then finally hatched out on the 2nd. I was quite happy he made it cause he had me worried. The parents already fed him and he's quite healthy and warm. :)

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
experience sure does pay off doesn't it mikey?
do you have an updated picture of him? I'd like to see one when you get a second.

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Beth,

Here it is, just took the pictures for you!!!! :)
I couldn't get the baby to stay still as he kept moving around and around. It's a bit chilly upstairs this morning so I didn't want to keep him away from momma very long....

20140303_114936_zpsaj9gbeee.jpg

20140303_114950_zpso6fbtg9p.jpg

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
how old is he now mikey?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I just melt looking at the pictures of him...so tiny and precious:) I am so excited at being able to watch him grow!

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
how old is he now mikey?

This one hatched on 3/2/14 so it turns one days old today! His daddy(Peaches) is a Pearl that I hand raised myself and he's going on 3 years old. Momma (Scooter) age is about the same from what I was told and she's a Lutino. She's the one that have the bad crown with bald head and when I got her she had blood scabs on her. I think his kids torturers her but he said he got her from a breeder and she was attacked as a baby so they rescued her from the breeder. And they had her for awhile and still blood scabs, so I had a hard time believing the story. No boys liked her until Peaches came back to me, his family couldn't handle him as he became a evil bird towards them. It wasn't until the second time he came back he was nicer towards me. I had to retrain him. But he prefers my partner. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts