babys new cage... can some1 help me now lol

scarperchick

Oct 25, 2010
chesterfield
Parrots
green ringneck- baby, also 2 yorkies- benny n ollie, 3 turtles- shelldon,tiny and didi and a rabbit- george and a budgie - sunny
well i found a new cage for baby n its an absolute bargain n im very happy with it... now my problem.. lol... how can i move her from her old cage into her new one without stressin her out? she still wont tolerate human contact n i really dont wanna stress her out any more than i av to but im not sure the best way to go at transferin her???? help...pleassssseeee... all i know is she cnt stay in one shes got cos she has no room to move around... n if we try n get her by hand she freaks out still n i really dont wanna do tht to her any more than i have to...

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Will she get on a perch that you are holding? This could be a way to transfer. Can she fly? If so just leave old cage door open and have new cage door open and be very close to eachother. Put nice treats, food and toys in new cage and take out these things in the old cage.

OP
scarperchick

scarperchick

Oct 25, 2010
chesterfield
Parrots
green ringneck- baby, also 2 yorkies- benny n ollie, 3 turtles- shelldon,tiny and didi and a rabbit- george and a budgie - sunny
no she wont do any of tht... n even if cage door is open she wont budge lol shes stubborn me thinks
ive thought about puttin cages together wi both doors open n sittin n waitin for her to go in herself? altho it might take a long while for her to move into it lol

as for holdin her perch... she wont go on it if anyone is touchin it... shes not tht good yet lol...

Pheonix Rising

Oct 9, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
Pheonix-Alexandrine parrot
1 September 2010
mikki- barrarand x king parrot
21yrs young ;)
I would suggest getting the smaller cage set up on a table or such like so the doors are at the same height
peg them both open and let time do the work for you
put something she really likes food wise in the néw cage doorway

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
all i know is she cnt stay in one shes got cos she has no room to move around...

shes stubborn me thinks

I do not think she is stubborn, she is trapped, depressed and currently hates the world. Keeping a bird in a small cage causes a LOT OF PROBLEMS. It is cruel.

Good on you for getting a new one and I really hope it is MUCH bigger. ;) For as long as what baby feels trapped she will not warm up to you and will bite you. I would take a towel, cover my hands, stick it in the cage, take her out and put her in the new one immediately. Do this without any hesitation.

If it is a big cage like every bird deserves, then you can always just put the small cage in the big one and leave the door open.

She is still new and has not settled in, making changes now will not affect her as much as what it will do at a later stage. Besides, she will never settle in while feeling trapped. ;)

Better to start her new and happy life now than later.

Last edited:
OP
scarperchick

scarperchick

Oct 25, 2010
chesterfield
Parrots
. I would take a towel, cover my hands, stick it in the cage, take her out and put her in the new one immediately. Do this without any hesitation.

Better to start her new and happy life now than later.[/QUOTE]

thanks i will do... im on a mission n she is gonna be happy...she more scared of me than i am of her so ill get armed with towel n go to it haha... in the long run she will thank me for it... even if she sulks for a lil bit lol

Ladyeclectic

Oct 6, 2010
Central California
Parrots
Green-cheek Conure "Mishka" - Sun conure "Calypso"
I agree with Wildheart on this. She's already scared and nervous and probably feels trapped by her current cage. It would be crueler, methinks, to leave her in a fearful situation, stuck in the small cage where she's only known fear, than to quickly towel her and introduce her to a new beginning.

I wish you the very best of luck! Hopefully the open cage will serve to wake her back up and make her see the world anew again (with you there encouraging her each step of the way. Keep us updated, and pics always help!!

Chris Winkler

Oct 8, 2010
Media
NW Pennsylvania
Parrots
Echo TAG,
Kodak Wt Face Tiel &
Tobi Male Ekkie
I have to agree you need to move her to the new cage. I would think if she has a day or two to see it the adjustment might not be as hard on her..

OP
scarperchick

scarperchick

Oct 25, 2010
chesterfield
Parrots
thanks guys for your input :)
baby is now in her cage and that took some right doing lol... she was biting n clutching at old cage for dear life... even got beak wrapped around bars to try n stay put lol
will post a pic in my album on my page for you to see :)
thanks again for all the advice :)

OP
scarperchick

scarperchick

Oct 25, 2010
chesterfield
Parrots
she seems tpo be going around the cage alot more... especially going upside down at the top and i actually saw her biting at one of her toys yesterday :)
not sure though if thats a sign shes waking up and coming back to us or if its cos we got a budgie.
it was suggested to me that i get another bird as the house she came from had a few of them and suddenly she was alone... well since we got sunny she seems to be more lively.... does that mean shes abit happier or is it a sign she dont like sunny?

Ladyeclectic

Oct 6, 2010
Central California
Parrots
Could be either, but due to the size difference it's better to never put them together and find out.

Glad she seems to be coming out of her shell, just give her another week or two of you staying next to her cage and hanging out, and she should be a bit more active. :)

OP
scarperchick

scarperchick

Oct 25, 2010
chesterfield
Parrots
Could be either, but due to the size difference it's better to never put them together and find out.

ive no intention of putting them in same cage i wouldnt dare lol... she seems really happy she is climbing all over and doing upside down climbing.. she has been playing with her toy this morning.. whoooop.. and she has put quite abit of her weight back on already.. so she is looking way healthier now im really pleased with how she is coming on... she doesn't just stay on one perch anymore,. maybe there is hope of her coming back to life after all...

im sooo pleased... thank you for your help and input all of you... you have all been marvelous :D

Ladyeclectic

Oct 6, 2010
Central California
Parrots
Lol! Wait until she takes the first treat from you through the bars, or when she's finally stepping up onto your finger of her own accord. :D Believe me, it's worth the wait!

OP
scarperchick

scarperchick

Oct 25, 2010
chesterfield
Parrots
i am sure it is :D she was chirping right well loast night for about an hour lol mind you it was very quiet but still a chirp none the less.... she is wonderful all that after just what 5-6 days :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts