Back from the vet with Charlie

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
So the vet did some swabs and such and everything looks good...from what he can tell and his experience Charlie is having a flare up of normal fungus, but due to her previous poor diet and living conditions along with the stress of moving and things, her immune system is slightly compromised...that being said He sent her home with some anti fungal meds to be mixed in her water...THANK GOD I could just imagine tring to give a bird meds that won't even let you touch her LOL...he said to watch for any drainage or anything of the sort...and to call him in about two weeks or so....
He was very impressed that I have already gotten her converted to pellets
He also said that Parker is in no danger of catching anything
I am to go get a humidifier and put it right next to her cage and he said that should help as well

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I was thinking about a humidifier this morning because my pediatrician suggested this when my kids had croup or allergy issues to help them breath. Good to see that this was not a life or death situation.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
SO glad to hear it's nothing serious!!!

You must be elated, Heather. :)

Now this is probably a really dumb question, but I've never heard of a humidifier helping with fungal spores. :confused: :confused: Did he say whether to use a cold or hot air humidifier?

I use a hot air humidifier in the winter months, when the house is super dry, but I would never dream of using one right now because I'd be afraid my carpets would get moldy. :eek:

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
He said the warm mist type because Amazons are from high humidity areas even though they are now bred domestically they have not evolved to living in houses with such low humidity levels...the issue Charlie is having is with her upper airways in her head not in her chest so the steam will help to flush out those areas...At least that is my understanding of what was said...

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
You understood correctly and he is right. I also use a warm humidifier in the winter (as well as two air purifiers) but I just leave the windows open during the summer and give them more baths.

Most Reactions