Back to school - making friends?

Delfin

Banned
Banned
Jan 26, 2014
Media
The switching process is quite through and we are given a electrical permit to work which tells where ad when we can work. Plus we also test the OHW before we touch.
I don't trust anyone when it come to working with High Voltage electricity, due to this thing called Human error.

(OHW means Over Head Wiring)

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
Don't give any bullies the time of day. I am the same as you I don't know why I have a hard time making friends when I'm always really friendly!! It's the stuck up people I am surrounded by in my area who are judgemental and cruel. I get bullied at my job too because I'm nice and I'm, different I guess. I'm not afraid to talk about the geeky things I like or whatever. I used to get upset being left out and talked about and being made fun of. Then one day I told myself I can't live like this, but I can't stop living either. I need my job and I am in grad school and I am aware I am quite a loner but I am beginning to care less. I feel good being independent and my confidence shows and I know I will make friends and it will be worth the wait. And the bullied at my job? I tell myself I am nothing but their entertainment. In their boring lives that are going nowhere, I am the odd one out because I am not afraid to hide who I am and I am going places with my life and they are stuck seeing each other everyday forever. If I react, it entertains them. Who the heck are they?? No one. They mean nothing to me. I've been nice even after they were mean and cruel, now I just say nothing. THEY are not worthy of my time. You know who you are, and if you don't? Find out who you want to be. Write down everything you want in life. Short term goals like being able to not get upset by bullies and their nonsense. Long term goals like career goals. Going back to school is great! Stay in the game, don't give up because other people feel the need to bash you. I'm sad I'm just beginning to learn to do this now at age 22, almost 23, but still. Better late than never. I started therapy recently too and it does help me because I have anxiety and depression. Write down everything you know about yourself, and write down what you want out of life. Just to help you clear your thoughts and get everything down on paper so it makes more sense and is easy to understand. Then go from there. But don't let people stop you or get in your way. I have been bullied since elementary school as well and now I look back at every bully and I am way above them. The accomplishments I have at my age probably succeeds what they will do in their lifetime. Life and friends are about quality not quantity

OP
Psittaciformes
Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
It seems as though friendliness is a form of weakness now, hopefully it'll be better now that the people there are considered adult.
School starts Monday 8:30, I'm pretty nervous ... I'm gonna get there ahead of time and be the first, or at least one of the first, to get into the classroom. Too awkward to be the last one I think.

I think what messes the whole social aspect up for me too is that, according to society you HAVE to have friends, it's not optional. If you don't, you failed, you might as well just sit at home doing nothing.
But I have Kiwiberry and this forum, Jenny and George. Once Kiwiberry learns to wear her harness I could go to parks with her, it'll be just like going out with say Jenny. Maybe not just like it, but it'll be fun nonetheless! Could probably meet people that way too, you don't see too many people walking their birds :p

That's a very good point about the bullying, haven't thought of it that way before.
As long as it doesn't get physical I should be able to ignore it, hopefully.
Honestly though, I don't know why I'm nervous. I was put in a small group of 6 people, the teachers seem nice and understanding (lots of people with issues there I suppose).
People wouldn't do the course I'm doing unless they'd away from school for ages and have no education.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Just take it one day at a time, and try to enjoy the class!! Keep us updated and give us your impressions when able!!

EDIT: It would be really cool if you could bring Kiwi in a small "day cage" to your class. Probably not practical, but you could imagine him as a therapy bird as he would attract lots of positive attention!

Last edited:
OP
Psittaciformes
Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
I'd love to bring her in a harness, but I don't think the others would appreciate it if she had a fit in the middle of class! :p

I will! I'll update when I get home from school. It feels really weird going back to school ...

OP
Psittaciformes
Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
First day today, and it went great!
WAY better than I ever could have hoped, some anxiety sweats and trembling in the beginning, though that was it basically. Except having to use the school computers, didn't bring my laptop, didn't have any hand sanitizer with me, although there was some by the window, but there was a guy sitting there. Luckily we got to go home straight after that, so I headed straight for the sink :p

Anyway, so there was another new guy, he talked to me on the first break. He asked if I smoked, I told him no, but I went outside with him to accompany him anyway.
When we came back, the girl sitting near me had fallen asleep and was snoring. Not even kidding.
First we laughed a bit, then the others heard it, started laughing too, then I just could not stop laughing and this other guy kept laughing when I laughed. I don't know why I found it so funny.
Either way, she was really nice too.
During the second class I'd already started talking to pretty much everyone, although not so much with the girls, we were split into twos, I was with the new guy, the other guys went to another room and the girls to one room. We had to do an assignment.

There was another girl there but she went home when the first class started, she wasn't feeling well.
Apparently we were missing 6-7 people, yet I was told we'd only be 6 in the group. But it's good, now I've got some people to talk to that I know in case the rest show up tomorrow.

I'm actually looking forward! I miss Kiwiberry when I'm there, but it's alright, it makes time at home with her all the more meaningful.

By the way, I did ask them if they had pets! I thought I'd sound like a complete idiot asking that, I don't think I did, not in my head at least :p
I'm the only bird person though, the rest of them had cats and/or dogs.

This thread has helped me so much, and I just wanna thank everybody again! It means so much to me!
Didn't think that many would actually bother replying, let alone give such sound advice and support!
Thank you! :propeller

Oh and by the way! First class; best class ever! They showed some comedy clips on youtube about job interviews (apparently that's the topic for this week), including the one where Chandler from Friends has a job interview!
I love friends!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Glad to know first day went well! You can take a bow and much credit for having the courage to go forward. We're just your cheerleaders, but you are doing all the work!

Know that some days may be more challenging, so remember well the good thoughts of today!!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Awesome!!! I'm so happy to hear how well your first day went :D! Looking forward to more of your updates. The beginning of class is always the most awkward. Later in the semester things will be routine. You'll find that it's actually fun talking and getting to know people!

I agree about the hand sanitizer too... I used a public computer and fax machine today, and eww.. I know exactly how you feel!

Scott, well said! :)

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Woohoo! I've been offline for a little while and look at all the progress you've made! Well done - I'm truly happy for you! :D :D :D

I love the way people have gravitated to you so early in the piece. That just shows there's something attractive about you and makes you look worth knowing. You've been able to share a joke and coped with classes and even managed to go a day without hand sanitiser. I hope you're noting down all these achievements, because that's what they are!

RainbowRose's comments about bullies are so true and so wise. My private definition of a bully is 'someone whose life is so shallow he needs to pull down my house and build his own condo with my bricks'. That's all they are: pointless, hopeless people who make artificial standards for other people to reach up to. Hah! Who needs that?

Real people are open to everyone and willing to share and trust. That's you! I hope like mad you get to meet quite a few people just like that as you enjoy your course. It's a brilliant start! Keep on keeping on and thanks for the updates: keep em' coming! :)

OP
Psittaciformes
Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
Thanks again guys! Can't believe I settled in this fast, I thought it'd take at least a week for the anxiety to go down, but oh no, half a day!

Today in class they all started laughing at me 'cause we got to talking about Kiwiberry and I mentioned the aviator harness. Even the teacher started laughing lol.
I think it was just because it probably sounds ridiculous to non-bird people and you don't see that many people walking their birds, I've never seen anyone doing it.
But that's good though.
I got to talking to a girl too, she kept looking in my direction, she seemed interested in my bird as well, she said I should bring her to school sometime. She asked if she's loud, if she chirps during the night and stuff. Usually I'm always the one engaging in conversations, but then end up giving up 'cause people just seem to get bored with me, so it was unusual for me but really nice.
She used to have budgies she said.
The teacher also suggested we could all meet up in a park sometime and I could bring Kiwiberry :p

That'd be fun. Been doing a little training today with her, didn't go that well, I should probably watch some videos about it, get some more pointers other than those of the DVD that came with.
But at least she's not scared of it, she'll hold it with her foot and stuff. I'm trying to make it a habit to have it around the back of my neck so she sees it's fine.

We're off tomorrow and Friday unfortunately, I think I was the only one who didn't want time off lol

Julie, I'm making it into a habit now! Before I leave I make sure the small bottle of hand sanitizer is in my pocket, I just have to get past using it in front of people now, I don't wanna come off as really weird this early on lol
But it really feels so so dirty using public computers and stuff, if I don't get a chance to wash my hands after I just can't focus on anything else, I become so aware of the things I touch that I gotta bring home etc.
Might be a bit over the top, but it is what it is. Are you like that too?

Trish, it was so relieving when they showed clips from comedy shows, especially the first class of the first day I was there, it was really good. Instead of jumping straight into the serious stuff.
The only thing I didn't like was the first clip, it was a comedian and his character was supposed to have a heroin problem, I think I was the only one not laughing at that scene. The only funny thing was that he was well dressed and spoke well, 'cause most addicts are sort of scruffy. And at the end when he asked if it was okay if he shot up in the lobby.
I don't really laugh at jokes about addiction, rape and stuff like that, you shouldn't joke about it..

Yep, bullies are just sad. I haven't come across any as of yet, which makes me happy!

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
Good for you Sebastian!!

OP
Psittaciformes
Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
Thank you! You've helped a lot you know :)
How are the chicks and all the other animal babies, as well as you?

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I loved reading your update Sebastian. :) I am thrilled for you!

See, you've already gotten past "first impressions" and you've been accepted! I bet to your classmates you seem like a pretty normal guy, and they don't see what you think they might see. Then of course no one is 'looking' for anything odd, you know? THIS IS GREAT!!

I think I've always been fairly germ conscious. It's how I was raised. But then again I've known people who are rather germy about their handwashing habits and NEVER seem to get sick. Maybe as they say a little germs are good for immune system building? ;) I do live in a population dense area, so the cold and flu does spread if not careful.

OP
Psittaciformes
Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
That's a good point, that they're not looking for anything odd. That kinda stuff is always good to keep in mind, it helps when I get anxious.

I was pretty much raised the opposite, mum doesn't care about washing her hands, I make her do it in certain situations. She'll even eat food she dropped on the floor, couldn't believe it when I saw it, I thought she was taking the piss just to annoy me.
One time I got so annoyed I headbutted the door and broke it ...
I think, subconsciously, that's a reason I wanna move to the countryside, away from all the stress of being so conscious of every cough and sneeze happening around you.

OP
Psittaciformes
Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
Another little update :)

Talked to one of our teachers last week about the computers. I asked if I could do the computer work at home and something else in school, but he said I'd barely get to do anything there then cause half of it is on the computers.
My heart sunk a little.. But then he said he could book the room we were in for me and I could use a school laptop the teachers use, plus get some wet wipes. So I was well happy with that!

And as a few of you know, I'm gonna ask out a girl on Monday, I hope I don't chicken out again lol :p
I turn 21 in a month, but I feel like 13...

Anyone with tips and ideas, please speak up!
Especially when asking for her number.

I have talked to her already (and she's really interested in Kiwiberry), we make a lot of eye contact and smile at each other, so I'm not walking up to some random girl.

Jesus crust am I nervous! Gotta keep busy during the weekend so I don't overload my brain... Kinda ridiculous lol

Anyone with ideas?! :)

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts